A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Albergue closing dates

sunshinemike

The lonely pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
Planning 1st Camino in September 2019 (may have to postpone until May 2020)
Hi all

I am sorry if this has been asked before, but I am a 'Camino Newbie' and have only just made a last minute decision to walk the full Camino Frances The earliest I can start is on September 15th. An initial look at the threads on this (amazing!) forum tell me that many albergue's open May - Sept each year. Setting off on Sept 15th means I will be doing the final 3 weeks walking during October. Will there be a problem finding accommodation between Burgos and Santiago during the first 3 weeks of Oct (or should I postpone until May 2010? ).

Thanks to you all in advance

Mike
A lonely pilgrim seeking to find what is at the end of the path.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
An initial look at the threads on this (amazing!) forum tell me that many albergue's open May - Sept each year.
May and September are the most popular months to begin the Camino Francés from St Jean Pied de Port. But those are not the only months that most albergues are open. Most albergues are open from at least March to November, with a number of them open year round.
Starting mid September you should have no problem, unless by the full Camino Francés you mean that you will be starting from your front door in Manchester. 😀

jl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances('05, '07), Aragonese ('05), del Norte / Primitivo ('09), Via Tolosana (Toulouse '05), Via Podiensis (Le Puy '07), Via Lemovicensis (Troyes '09), VF ('12), Winter Camino ('13/'14) Cammino d'Assisi ('14) Jakobseweg (Leipzig - Paris '15) San Salvador/Norte ('15) Ignaciano ('16) Invierno ('16)
I have walked the Camino Frances in Dec / Jan and always found an albergue open within the 20 - 25 kms mark. It is generally only one in a village, not five or six (or more in places like Sarria), but there is always a bed, even in those months! I found that in Galicia it was generally the Xunta albergues open at that time. There should be plenty of options on your planned dates. Buen Camino

Bala

Veteran member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances: SJPdP-Burgos, (2015); Burgos-Sarria (2018); Sarria-Santiago (2018).
Frances (2020)
October is a very popular time to walk. I walked SJPP to Burgos in mid-October (2015) and Sarria to Santiago mid-October (2018). Albergues were open everywhere, as were bars, restaurants, shops, and churches. November is when things begin to close down a bit, but even then plenty of places will still be open. If I were to go again in October, I'd have no worries about accomodation along the Camino Francés.

Buen Camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Caminos Frances (x4), Finisterre, Aragon, Via de la Plata, Portuguese 2011 -2015. Hospitalero 2015
I have walked the Frances twice in October and had no trouble finding a bed. During the last week of October there might be one or two closed but there will always be another albergue close by. November can start to be problematic but by then you should have completed your camino or in the last sretch from Sarria where there are plenty of albergues that are open

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 56 4.3%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 326 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock