Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue de Bodenaya (Primitivo) for sale

LTfit

Veteran Member
I was surprised to just read on Facebook that the wonderful donativo albergue in Bodenaya is up for sale. This will be a hard act to follow after Alex and now David and Celia.

"Hace 8 años llegamos a Bodenaya para coger el testigo de Alex Camino y seguir con ésa hospitalidad inherente qué siempre sé ofreció en ésta casa,la de todos los peregrinos.
Nos enseñasteis lo qué es el amor entre hermanos peregrinos y a compartir experiencias humanas qué nos enriquecieron en todas las facetas de la vida.
Juntos hemos reido,llorado,emocionado y sentido el origen de la palabra hospitalidad en su máxima expresión de la palabra compartir.
Ahora nuestro corazón nos pide nuevos proyectos, y es por eso que hemos decidido vender el albergue para que alguien continúe con esta hospitalidad tradicional que comenzó en 2007.
Ha sido una decisión meditada, pero la vida son ciclos, y ahora nos toca empezar uno nuevo.
Seguiremos en casa hasta terminar esta temporada con la idea de pasar el relevo a la nueva persona de cara al próximo año.
Las personas que estén interesadas en la compra del albergue, que se pongan en contacto por mensaje privado o al teléfono del albergue (+34645 888 984).
Feliz peregrinaje por la vida!!!
David y Celia"

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This will be a hard act to follow after Alex and now David and Celia.
Hi Lee
I’d say impossible act to follow. I don’t know how It has continued for so long with such a high bar set.
I think he or rather both of them are deserving of a well earned rest.

Thankyou Bodenaya - this is the clearest memory for me of any welcome on any camino & I was there in 2015 when David was a ‘one man band ‘
❤️❤️.

Didn't stay there as they Pre-book and I was warned by others several days before that it is impossible to just show up as a pilgrim and get a bed. Found plenty of other albergues available.

No wonder, when a lot of pilgrims translate "donativo" as free / for nothing and expect a first clas service ans in the trend "stinginess is cool" instead of an appropriate tribute throw nothing, trouser buttons or copper money into the donation box. It is fully understandable (and good) that donativo hostels are gradually disappearing.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is fully understandable (and good) that donativo hostels are gradually disappearing.
Good surely not. Luckily there are still those of us that support and praise the donativo tradition.

We don't know why David and Celia are stopping. It may be for a totally different reason that a financial one. Sometimes a moment arrives to move on and start something new.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have fond memories of stopping here and being in awe of David's selfless dedication (it was before Celia joined him). We all prepared food and cooked together, poured cidre and shared stories. Whatever their reasons for moving on, and wherever the path takes them, I wish them well..

It seems David and Celia have decided to take new endeavours and are selling this mythical albergue after 8 years. His phone number is included at the end of the message (copied from Facebook). They will continue open till end of season, whenever that might be.

"
Hace 8 años llegamos a Bodenaya para coger el testigo de Alex Camino y seguir con ésa hospitalidad inherente qué siempre sé ofreció en ésta casa,la de todos los peregrinos.
Nos enseñasteis lo qué es el amor entre hermanos peregrinos y a compartir experiencias humanas qué nos enriquecieron en todas las facetas de la vida.
Juntos hemos reido,llorado,emocionado y sentido el origen de la palabra hospitalidad en su máxima expresión de la palabra compartir.
Ahora nuestro corazón nos pide nuevos proyectos, y es por eso que hemos decidido vender el albergue para que alguien continúe con esta hospitalidad tradicional que comenzó en 2007.
Ha sido una decisión meditada, pero la vida son ciclos, y ahora nos toca empezar uno nuevo.
Seguiremos en casa hasta terminar esta temporada con la idea de pasar el relevo a la nueva persona de cara al próximo año.
Las personas que estén interesadas en la compra del albergue, que se pongan en contacto por mensaje privado o al teléfono del albergue (+34645 888 984)."

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I was surprised to just read on Facebook that the wonderful hostel donation in Bodenaya is up for sale. This will be a hard act to follow after Alex and now David and Celia.

"Eight years ago we arrived in Bodenaya to take Alex Camino's witness and continue with that inherent hospitality that I always know offered in this house, that of all pilgrims.
You taught us what love is between fellow pilgrims and to share human experiences that enriched us in all facets of life.
Together we have laughed, cried, moved and felt the origin of the word hospitality in its maximum expression of the word sharing.
Now our hearts ask us for new projects, and that is why we have decided to sell the hostel so that someone can continue this traditional hospitality that began in 2007.
It has been a thoughtful decision, but life is cycles, and now we have to start a new one.
We will continue at home until the end of this season with the idea of handing over to the new person for next year.
People who are interested in buying the hostel, contact us by private message or by phone at the hostel (+34645 888 984).
Happy pilgrimage through life!!!
David and Celia"
I feel so blessed that I was fortunate enough to experience your hospitality this year (July) before you move on in your life cycle. All the very best wishes to you both and thank you for the memories. Lyn (Australia)

I was surprised to just read on Facebook that the wonderful donativo albergue in Bodenaya is up for sale. This will be a hard act to follow after Alex and now David and Celia.

"Hace 8 años llegamos a Bodenaya para coger el testigo de Alex Camino y seguir con ésa hospitalidad inherente qué siempre sé ofreció en ésta casa,la de todos los peregrinos.
Las personas que estén interesadas en la compra del albergue, que se pongan en contacto por mensaje privado o al teléfono del albergue (+34645 888 984).
Feliz peregrinaje por la vida!!!
David y Celia"

I’m so sad to read this news. I have a reservation for this mid-September. If I’m reading this message correctly, David and Celia will continue to operate through this year?

It seems David and Celia have decided to take new endeavours and are selling this mythical albergue after 8 years. His phone number is included at the end of the message (copied from Facebook). They will continue open till end of season, whenever that might be.

"
Hace 8 años llegamos a Bodenaya para coger el testigo de Alex Camino y seguir con ésa hospitalidad inherente qué siempre sé ofreció en ésta casa,la de todos los peregrinos.
Las personas que estén interesadas en la compra del albergue, que se pongan en contacto por mensaje privado o al teléfono del albergue (+34645 888 984)."
I stayed here in 2017,and was floored at how well David treated everyone. I forgot my adapter and asked David if he had one I could buy. When I asked the price,he said "one big hug". I will always remember his kindness and wish him only the best!

€46,-
It can't hurt to post this twice. I did the same a few hours ago.
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...denaya-primitivo-for-sale.76104/#post-1053782
I only realized today, the moderators have merged the two posts, I published it in Primitivo, you must have published it in a different section of the forum, no worries!

I understand they have decided it is time for something new, nobody who runs Bodenaya will end up buying a mansion in the Cote Azur or a Ferrari, it is not a business to try to raise a family, for example. I would be able to lead a life like David or Alex for a winter or two, maybe, but after a while, it must be exhausting to welcome people in your house every day.

This said, I hope somebody stands up to follow their wonderful trace!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
No wonder, when a lot of pilgrims translate "donativo" as free / for nothing and expect a first clas service ans in the trend "stinginess is cool" instead of an appropriate tribute throw nothing, trouser buttons or copper money into the donation box. It is fully understandable (and good) that donativo hostels are gradually disappearing.
Yeah - I stayed at a couple donativos and when I saw someone give too little (in my opinion for what was offered) - I tended to double my more generous donation. I know in some cases it is all a person can give and that is fine - but in other cases people were clearly taking advantage when they could have and should have (in my opinion) given more. Tried not to judge the individuals - but I did want to make sure the hosts could serve the next days pilgrims in the same fashion or better than they served me.

Yeah - I stayed at a couple donativos and when I saw someone give too little (in my opinion for what was offered) - I tended to double my more generous donation. I know in some cases it is all a person can give and that is fine - but in other cases people were clearly taking advantage when they could have and should have (in my opinion) given more. Tried not to judge the individuals - but I did want to make sure the hosts could serve the next days pilgrims in the same fashion or better than they served me.
I remember meeting a Belgian doctor at Tosantos in 2011. At the dinner table, she showed us her record of her daily costs and against Tosantos, she had recorded 'Free'. On the other hand, when working as a hospitalera, I came across many generous pilgrims who were grateful for the hospitality.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just wondering if there is any update — hard to imagine a Primitivo without Bodenaya!
I too would love an update. This was a very, very special place and David a lovely man. (Celia wasn't there when I stayed, but I'm sure she's just as wonderful)

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back