• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue de Monsanto

Rodrigo Cerqueira

Time of past OR future Camino
3 French from St. Jean Pied Port, 3 Portuguese from Lisbon, 1 Portuguese from Porto, 1 Primitivo from Oviedo, 19 Lisbon - Fatima, 2 Porto - Fatima, 1 Coimbra - Fátima... Open the caminhos Nascente Fátima - Tomar, Poente Nazaré- Fátima, the north connection from Fátima to Ansião and Caminho Santiago central.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you mister Rodrigo for the update and for the links. Que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
Thanks for your kind words and I hope the light of our Caminhos helps other pilgrims to find their ways.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow! Monsanto is an amazing village in Portugal, with houses built right onto the sides of huge boulders and a big castle on the edge of town, it must have some special historic designation. All preserved to a very high standard. It may have been in a different stone village of Portugal, but I think I remember someone telling me there that all telecommunications lines have been buried, all satellite dishes placed outside the historic core, etc. so as not to burst the bubble of returning to the past.

But my question is, what Caminho is this on? I can't figure that one out. Thanks, Rodrigo.

Hi Laurie, thanks for your coments. It’s a petty but this is a different “Monsanto” on the Caminho do Tejo in the south of Fátima. I wouldn’t mind to have a Caminho that crossed the Monsanto you have described so well.
What it’s special about this Monsanto it’s the fact that they acepeted our challenge 3 years ago to recover a old house creating a very basic Albergue. And now they are improving they’re initial work.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
looks really lovely!

it's about 34km from santarém and about 26km before fatima, before the only big climb of caminho do tejo.

OOPS, so sorry I messed that up completely. :confused: But I can't find it on your map or google maps. Is it south of Santarem? What would a possible starting point be for the day we would sleep in Monsanto?

Good Morning Laurie. Monsanto its located on the last stage between Olhos de Agua and Fátima (Caminho do Tejo). This is Mountain Stage so in the winter it can be cold. The Albergue of Monsanto doesn't have central heating. We recommend pilgrim that have plans to stay in Monsanto during the winter to take a warm sleeping bag. The Albergue of Olhos de Agua has central heating for the cold weather and a the nice source of the Alviela River for the Summer. In Monsanto the parish also hosts big groups of pilgrims.

Please check the full guide of the Caminho do Tejo: http://www.caminho.com.pt/guias_e.html

olhos_de_agua_fatima.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I hope I'm not making another mistake, but I think that this post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminho-nascente-fatima-tomar.38892/ has additional information about how pilgrims can walk from the Caminho de Santiago to Fatima and then back to the Caminho again. The recommendation seems to be, go to Tomar (no one walking from Lisbon should miss the opportunity to visit Tomar, IMO) and from there take the Caminho Nascente.

To round out the discussion, Rodrigo, a question about leaving Fatima. Am I right that the pilgrim has to choose between going back to Tomar to rejoin the Caminho de Santiago, or continuing on the Caminho Norte de Fatima, which will reconnect with the Caminho de Santiago near Coimbra?

Of course for those who don't mind hopping on a bus, I assume there is transportation available from either Tomar or Santarem for a day visit?

I have seen an increase in interest from Santiago pilgrims who want to include Fatima in their caminho, so I really appreciate your organization's interest in reaching out to that group. Laurie

I hope I'm not making another mistake, but I think that this post https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminho-nascente-fatima-tomar.38892/ has additional information about how pilgrims can walk from the Caminho de Santiago to Fatima and then back to the Caminho again. The recommendation seems to be, go to Tomar (no one walking from Lisbon should miss the opportunity to visit Tomar, IMO) and from there take the Caminho Nascente.

To round out the discussion, Rodrigo, a question about leaving Fatima. Am I right that the pilgrim has to choose between going back to Tomar to rejoin the Caminho de Santiago, or continuing on the Caminho Norte de Fatima, which will reconnect with the Caminho de Santiago near Coimbra?

Of course for those who don't mind hopping on a bus, I assume there is transportation available from either Tomar or Santarem for a day visit?

I have seen an increase in interest from Santiago pilgrims who want to include Fatima in their caminho, so I really appreciate your organization's interest in reaching out to that group. Laurie

Laurie that post has published by Mario the owner of Hostel Santarem. He copied parts of the contents we (AACF) published on our facebook and website.

From Fátima pilgrims can go north and return to the Caminho de Santiago in Ansião. (Two days before Coimbra). Or go East via the Caminho Nascente to Tomar.

According to our pilgrim passports we noticed the number of pilgrims coming from Santiago to Fátima its growing. Usually this pilgrims that come from Santiago follow to the sea via the Caminho Poente.

Thanks for your interest.

Last edited:
Hi Rodrigo and Laurie
My post that Rodrigo mentioned it is only about the new "Caminho da Nascente" towards Tomar.
And starts
"For those who want to visit Fatima and return asap to the Caminho de Santiago.
Text by Rodrigo Cerqueira from the "Associação dos Amigos dos Caminhos de Fátima"
As mentioned in my post the article was written by Rodrigo Cerqueira and it is fully completed nor just parts of it, at that time.
To make it short my post is about the "Caminho Nascente" by Rodrigo not about the new albergue in Monsanto that I never knew till now.
Check my post here:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/caminho-nascente-fatima-tomar.38892/
Mario

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I just stayed at the albergue in Monsanto a few days ago while on my way to Fatima, it's a lovely albergue in the clock tower of the town. Not equipped for cooking or washing clothes, but the beds are comfortable and the position is perfect for those coming from Santarém and wanting to get a few kms in before the little climb to Fatima.
Be aware though that you have to go ask for the key at the main town office, so be sure you arrive during opening hours and not too late in the evening. Careful if you plan to get there in the weekend too.
Just a suggestion, it would be nice to put a phone number on the door of the albergue and some info, so Pilgrims know what to do if they arrive there and nobody is around... We had to ask around quite a bit before we could access it.
That aside, great albergue and so cool to sleep in the clock tower!

I was there in March 2018. So cool had another meaning :p.
It already became dark in the outskirts of Monsanto (~7pm) but I made it into the village with a head light. As a had no idea where the Albergue was located I asked at a bar in the centre and had imediate success.
They phoned the hospitalera and asked me if I would like to eat sometime later. She picked me up at the bar and brought me to the clock tower (which was not far away). After a shower I went to have dinner. So I had no trouble at all.

I think I could boil water for tea, but don't blame me if not. No bunk beds! That's for sure.
The electric heaters are not able to make the room really warm, but it felt not icy.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back