• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

albergue de peregrino de Zamora

Alan Pearce

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Invierno October 2022
I have been reading the new CSJ guide to the VdlP and it says that accommodation in Zamora is very difficult at Easter. I expect to be staying there on Easter Sunday, and would prefer to stay in the "stunning new albergue". Does anyone have any experience of staying in the albergue at Easter time? Is it likeky to be completo with non-peregrinos? Any comments welcome.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Alan,

I hope that someone else can help you out with your question and I apologize for being "off-topic" but what is your opinion of the new CSJ VdlP guide?

Cheers,
LT

Hi Alan
I will be in the area at Easter but will be in a car-having walked this way in September my information for what its worth is that it will be nearly impossible to find anywhere to stay in the town center (pre-booked at high prices) and I may be wrong but I think the Auberge is closed to pilgrims at this time but don't take my word for it-you may be lucky-but I think you will have to find somewhere on the outskirts as will I, one option for you maybe is to sleep in the shade for the afternoon in the countryside walk into Zamora find somewhere to leave your pack-railway maybe and just join in the festival and party the night away and make an early start in the morning having joined in one of the major festivals of Spain.
I hope I'm wrong and wiser heads than mine can give you more positive information.
good luck
Ian

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
on further research it seems it all finishes on Easter Sunday morning with ham and eggs at 9-30-plenty of places to stay and maybe the Auberge too I hope you get in because it is one of the gems of the VDLP
Ian

It is scheduled to be open. I spent Holy Week a couple of years ago at the albergue in Salamanca, and I didn´t close for the holiday... depends on whether they found a volunteer from "outside" to man the place throughout the fun, or if they are depending on the local association to do the job.

The locals are extremely dedicated; I do not think they would shut out a pilgrim. But Easter? Hmmm! You may just have to show up and find out, or when you get to Salamanca ask the hospitalero there if they have heard anything. They can find out for you. Or just phone them up yourself, the number is in just about every guidebook.

Rebekah

thank you Ian and Rebekah for your comments. I will post again after Semana Santa on my experiences. I am going to Zamora on the expectation that the albergue will be open and with a vacant bunk for this pilgrim.

As for the new CSJ guidebook, I can't commont as I have not used it yet :) But as soon as I have finished and have got rid of the jetlag supplied by the 26 hour flight back to Australia I will post some remarks I have great confidence in it, and whenever I find an innacuracy in any guidebook, I ask myself " could you do better, or even half as good?". The answer is always a resounding NO.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
trying to find how to contact Zamora albergue in order to try to do volunteering there in summer of 2013 and info.

trying to find how to contact Zamora albergue in order to try to do volunteering there in summer of 2013 and info

The URL below should give you the info you want. It's the first time I have tried to post an URL so don't know if it will work :)
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-de-peregrinos-de-zamora
Failing that the website is http://www.zamora.es
and the guy in charge (co-ordinator) is Luis Garcia tel: 00 34 980 53 71 04 ext 4
Good luck, I'm looking forward to staying here next year.

Looks like my first attempt didn't work, maybe a bit of cutting and pasting will do the job :!:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Hi Nathanael,

Keep in mind that the voluntary hospitaleros that work at the albergue in Zamora are supplied by the Spanish Federation (Federación Española de Asociaciones de Amigos del Camino de Santiago) and normally you have to go through them to apply. This is what I did in order to work this summer in Grañón. Prerequiste is that you have walked the Camino and have taken a hospitalero course (sometimes an exception is made if you agree to arrive 2-3 days prior to the start of your 15 day assignment).

I suggest you contact Ana at HOSVOL for more information: hosvol@caminosantiago.org

You will be placed where needed so although you can "suggest" a location there is no guarantee that they can fulfill your request.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any help.

Cheers,
LT

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
LT, thanks for the info. yes have done 5 Camino's and will be taking the course next month..nevertheless thanks for everything.
n :lol:

Hoping someone may have more current info about the municipal Albergue or private hostels in Zamora . Would like spend two nights during Holy Week (Thurs/Fri) in 2022 .Thanks for any info

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have served in the municipal Albergue de Peregrinos in Zamora and we were only allowed to admit pilgrims. If you are a tourist, you need to find other accommodations. People can only stay multiples nights if they are ill or injured although this decision is usually up to the hospitalero. Also you must be out with your pack by 8 a.m. under most circumstances. There is a Parador in the old town and there is an AC Hotel near the train and bus station. I am not sure about others.

I have served in the municipal Albergue de Peregrinos in Zamora and we were only allowed to admit pilgrims. If you are a tourist, you need to find other accommodations. People can only stay multiples nights if they are ill or injured although this decision is usually up to the hospitalero. Also you must be out with your pack by 8 a.m. under most circumstances. There is a Parador in the old town and there is an AC Hotel near the train and bus station. I am not sure about others.
Well , as a matter of fact , we are planning to start the Camino Primitivo on Easter Monday from Oviedo ( April 18) . Since we will be arriving in Madrid on Mon April 11 , we would like to stop at a few places on the way before starting our official pilgrimage . First in Ávila , then in Zamora for 2days (Holy Thursday and Good Friday) ,and then Oviedo for Easter . Of course , we will be travelling by train or bus from Madrid to Oviedo . Do we qualify as pilgrims ? We will have our backpacks and Credentiels with stamps from Madrid and Avila . What do you think ? Thanks for your advice .

Really you should arrive on foot or by bike (or horse/donkey) to be considered a pilgrim. If you were starting from Zamora on foot/bike, etc. that might be different.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Rachel and Dino I unexpectedly got stranded in Zamora one year waiting for friends, and immediately found something on AirBnB. It was very reasonably priced, a whole apartment, and close to the centre of town. My host even dropped in supplies for me, including washing powder. He said he was grateful for the unexpected income. It will be Easter Week and accommodation can be a problem, but worth a try.

@Rachel and Dino I unexpectedly got stranded in Zamora one year waiting for friends, and immediately found something on AirBnB. It was very reasonably priced, a whole apartment, and close to the centre of town. My host even dropped in supplies for me, including washing powder. He said he was grateful for the unexpected income. It will be Easter Week and accommodation can be a problem, but worth a try.
Thanks Kanga ! Any chance you would remember the address or the name of the host or anything else that could help find this Air BnB .
When I check their site every location was booked for Thurs Apr14 and Apr 15.

Thanks Kanga ! Any chance you would remember the address or the name of the host or anything else that could help find this Air BnB .
When I check their site every location was booked for Thurs Apr14 and Apr 15.
Sorry, I deleted my AirBnB account a while ago and when I did my history was deleted. It seems to be a Spain wide issue getting accommodation over Easter.
I just did a search on booking.com and found Alquilaz Apartamentos Turisticos had availability - $163 for two nights.
The Wise Pilgrim app suggests a few places. Thank you @wisepilgrim. I'll list them with their (Spanish) telephone numbers. If ringing and speaking is too difficult you may be able to find their websites or email addresses online. Often they won't give all their rooms to booking services, especially during peak times, because of the commission. It is worth contacting them direct. Hostal Chiqui 980531480, Hostal Don Rodrigo 980535123, Hostal La Reina 980533939, Hotel Doña Urraca 980168800, Hotel Trefacio 980509104, and - of course, the Parador 980514497.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorry, I deleted my AirBnB account a while ago and when I did my history was deleted. It seems to be a Spain wide issue getting accommodation over Easter.
I just did a search on booking.com and found Alquilaz Apartamentos Turisticos had availability - $163 for two nights.
The Wise Pilgrim app suggests a few places. Thank you @wisepilgrim. I'll list them with their (Spanish) telephone numbers. If ringing and speaking is too difficult you may be able to find their websites or email addresses online. Often they won't give all their rooms to booking services, especially during peak times, because of the commission. It is worth contacting them direct. Hostal Chiqui 980531480, Hostal Don Rodrigo 980535123, Hostal La Reina 980533939, Hotel Doña Urraca 980168800, Hotel Trefacio 980509104, and - of course, the Parador 980514497.
Excellent information ! I will check those possible hostels and make a decision soon . Availability at Easter time is limited . Thanks again! Your help is much appreciated !

No information on the quality of any of that accommodation, I think the main criteria for the listing by WisePilgrim is being close to the camino for walkers.

Strictly speaking, you do not qualify as pilgrims unless you have either arrived at the end of a day's journey by foot, bike or horseback from a stage previous on the route and have a credencial stamp to prove it, or you are about to start the next day on the same route by foot, bike or horseback (camels and donkeys are also accepted, but not in the dorm). Otherwise you may be taking up a bed that is needed by someone who has walked/ridden at the end of possibly a very long day (as ours was when we stayed in Zamora). However, if you talk very nicely to the hospitalero and the albergue is not full, they might say yes, but don't be upset or surprised if they say no.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Also be sure to have your transportation booked ahead as trains and busses may run less frequently during a holiday or they may be sold out. We had to rent a car to get to and from Zamora due to the non-availability of transportation over a holiday.

Also be sure to have your transportation booked ahead as trains and busses may run less frequently during a holiday or they may be sold out. We had to rent a car to get to and from Zamora due to the non-availability of transportation over a holiday.
Really ? Was it at Easter time ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Holy Thursday and Good Friday are holidays in Castille-Leon where Zamora is located.
Do you you have any suggestions for an alternate plan ? We would be taking the train or bus from Avila in the morning of Holy Thursday .

I would try to buy your tickets in advance. I have personally never been able to book tickets for train or bus from outside of Spain in the US, but others on the forum may know how to do this and can advise you. I don't know if you have to use a VPN? There is a bus station pickup in Madrid outside the T4 terminal and you could try to buy tickets when you first arrive May 11 from there. There is also a train ticket counter in the T4 terminal in the basement so if you can't get bus tickets, you could try the train. Ideally, I would try to by my tickets online from home if that is possible. That way you would have the tickets as you are making reservations for lodging.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would try to buy your tickets in advance. I have personally never been able to book tickets for train or bus from outside of Spain in the US, but others on the forum may know how to do this and can advise you. I don't know if you have to use a VPN? There is a bus station pickup in Madrid outside the T4 terminal and you could try to buy tickets when you first arrive May 11 from there. There is also a train ticket counter in the T4 terminal in the basement so if you can't get bus tickets, you could try the train. Ideally, I would try to by my tickets online from home if that is possible. That way you would have the tickets as you are making reservations for lodging.
Thanks , I think we will do it ASAP when we arrive on April 11 from the airport 👍🏻

Thanks , I think we will do it ASAP when we arrive on April 11 from the airport 👍🏻
I don’t mean to be an alarmist, but I think it is very unlikely that you will be able to get train or bus tickets to Zamora for later in Holy Week when you arrive in Spain on April 11.

I have bought both train and bus tickets online from the US in the last few months, and it went fine. That is what I would recommend for you. The train website is RENFE.com and a few years ago they performed some magic to make it so that purchasers from North America no longer had the urge to throw something at their computer screen when trying to book online. Alsa (main bus) is also easy, though a bit frustrating because they ask for things like passport number.

A few years ago I arrived on Easter Sunday at about midday in Salamanca.... you see me on the left on the bridge approach.

It was one of the most memorable day of my life. I wanted to go inside the cathedral but guards told me that it was closed and to go round to the north facade (I think). I was urged forward in the crowd as I was a pilgrim with pack. The event soon took place and it was mesmerising.

... and I got accommodation at the Albergue in the afternoon after waiting patiently!

8EF658E5-F207-447F-B743-C86DCB1FF63C.jpeg26BE6486-7830-4926-8515-F66A23D979B9.jpeg1FB0BC50-53FA-47C6-9FDD-EF44F4E562AC.jpegECF32067-CD87-4029-9F4B-2FFEF627FF01.jpeg545B31A8-7E3E-4322-B8CD-3EF410CA5F8A.jpeg249BC4F0-E5B4-4B4E-B351-4C5E46B82FDC.jpegA334BC9D-DD3A-431D-89B3-C372A8E5C650.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Returning to the original theme of this post.... Zamora is one of my favourite cities in Spain and it certainly favours several visits, including one OUTSIDE the Easter period.

If you cannot make the Easter parade, then at other times of the year you can appreciate the historical importance of this particular parade by visiting the museum of the effigies or rather huge ‘tableaux’ which are paraded through the streets.

Returning to the original theme of this post.... Zamora is one of my favourite cities in Spain and it certainly favours several visits, including one OUTSIDE the Easter period.

If you cannot make the Easter parade, then at other times of the year you can appreciate the historical importance of this particular parade by visiting the museum of the effigies or rather huge ‘tableaux’ which are paraded through the streets.

Thank you for the link . The photos are impressive . We will be in Oviedo on Easter Sunday . Our plan was to be in Zamora Thursday and/or Friday . Do you know if there be processions on the streets those days ?

I have not been there for Easter, but it is my understanding that the various brotherhoods (and there are many in Zamora) have processions of silence all week and some are at night. I am sure you can find more information online about the various times as it gets closer to Easter week.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have not been there for Easter, but it is my understanding that the various brotherhoods (and there are many in Zamora) have processions of silence all week and some are at night. I am sure you can find more information online about the various times as it gets closer to Easter week.
Gracias amiga !

For some years now I have booked trains and buses for France and Spain (from Australia) using Trainline.com (previous app was Trainline.eu). And either printed out the tickets or in some cases just showed the digital tickets on my phone. I’ve done same for buses using the ALSA app. I created an account for both and paid by credit card. Most tickets were refundable and on a couple of occasions when I had to cancel, I had no problem getting the refund credited to my card.

PS. From Australia, I’ve only been able to buy tickets 3 months or less before departure date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Broadening this theme somewhat.... I started at Seville I guess about ten/twelve days before Easter. The Easter preparations were underway in most cities. A special mention goes for Caceres for a night-time procession. I do not remember having any issues for accommodation anywhere but usually finish walking in time to ‘queue’ at an Albergue, waiting for the hospitalero/hospitalera welcome moment.

Oviedo is another glorious place. A fabulous 19/20 th century art gallery (free) with some glorious Joaquín Sorolla paintings right next to the cathedral. I could go on.... but will leave it at ‘must have some pulpo here’! (Took me a while to become a fan, but Spain convinced me).

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don’t mean to be an alarmist, but I think it is very unlikely that you will be able to get train or bus tickets to Zamora for later in Holy Week when you arrive in Spain on April 11.

I have bought both train and bus tickets online from the US in the last few months, and it went fine. That is what I would recommend for you. The train website is RENFE.com and a few years ago they performed some magic to make it so that purchasers from North America no longer had the urge to throw something at their computer screen when trying to book online. Alsa (main bus) is also easy, though a bit frustrating because they ask for things like passport number.
For some years now I have booked trains and buses for France and Spain (from Australia) using Trainline.com (previous app was Trainline.eu). And either printed out the tickets or in some cases just showed the digital tickets on my phone. I’ve done same for buses using the ALSA app. I created an account for both and paid by credit card. Most tickets were refundable and on a couple of occasions when I had to cancel, I had no problem getting the refund credited to my card.

PS. From Australia, I’ve only been able to buy tickets 3 months or less before departure date.
Valuable information, Jenny ! I am in Canada and will try trainline.com in a few months ...thanks !

Broadening this theme somewhat.... I started at Seville I guess about ten/twelve days before Easter. The Easter preparations were underway in most cities. A special mention goes for Caceres for a night-time procession. I do not remember having any issues for accommodation anywhere but usually finish walking in time to ‘queue’ at an Albergue, waiting for the hospitalero/hospitalera welcome moment.

Oviedo is another glorious place. A fabulous 19/20 th century art gallery (free) with some glorious Joaquín Sorolla paintings right next to the cathedral. I could go on.... but will leave it at ‘must have some pulpo here’! (Took me a while to become a fan, but Spain convinced me).
I love Spain too !

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back