• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue de S. Pedro de Rates closes today

It is with regret that we inform all pilgrims that the Albergue de S. Pedro de Rates in the Portuguese Camino has closed.

After 7 years of exemplary effort and volunteer work, this that was the first albergue on the Camino Portugues, has closed its doors.

Let us pilgrims join in protest and demand explanation to the local entities that allowed such thing to happen.

We would like to thank all that have devoted their time as volunteers at this albergue over the years for giving us pilgrims the true spirit of the Camino!!

Helena Bernardo

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
That is an awful shame. I suspect that many people did not give a donativo, it was certainly the impression I got when I was there. It was a most interesting albergue.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Helena,
This is very bad news, and I wonder if you know anything about why it was closed. If Sulu's right, maybe there's a chance that imposing a charge would make it possible to re-open.

I don't know if you saw that government owned albergues turisticos have closed on the Via de la Plata, also, and I assume the causes are similar. camino-mozarabe-and-via-de-la-plata/topic12562.html

As always, thanks for all the work of the Via Lusitana -- I heard from a pilgrim who walked in January that you guys were out painting arrows again between Lisbon and Porto. You are tireless!

Bom caminho, Laurie

Truly a shame as we stayed here and enjoyed this alberque. Wonderful showers and it was nice to have smaller sleeping rooms rather than a huge dorm. If someone were there to ensure contributions, it would probably help a lot. We left our money in the box but there was no way of knowing if anyone else did or did not. We also cleaned the kitchen which had been left rather dirty and messy. This was a very nice mid-way stop for tired, hot pilgrims who did not have the energy to make it to Barcelos. Please let us know how we can support making this alberque again available.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.