• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue destroyed by fire in Xunqueira de Ambía

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That is such a shame! I stayed there for a night last October while on the C. Sanabres. Very characterful and comfortable albergue, with owners very keen to please. Good food, nice garden for sitting in out the back. Hope they can rebuild.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The fire is a reminder of the concern that many of us have about those albergues that still lock pilgrims in a night.
It has been a while since this has been discussed and I am not sure which albergues, if any, still have this policy.

I am pretty sure they don't do that any more, at least on those Caminos I walked lately. You now get frequently 'can be only opened from inside' doors which you can push open in an emergency. If I am not mistaken that issue was addressed following an incident in the Monastery (Cister) albergue in Santo Domingo de la Calzada when a pilgrim suffered a major heart problem at night and the emergency services couldn't initially get to him. They had first to raise the nuns that had to cross the patio from monastery to albergue and open the albergue door from the inside. It was also around the same time that there were restrictions put in place on how many pilgrims an albergue was allowed to accommodate additionally when they had run out of beds. Also the later one was and is always a bit of a hit and miss subject depending on if the alternative would be a pilgrim having to sleep in the streets.

Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

La Voz de Galicia reports that Casa Tomás - a fairly new private albergue in Xunqueria de Ambía - has been totally destroyed by fire. Fortunately the owners were the only occupants at the time and they escaped unharmed.
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...ra-ambia/0003_201701201701271485504435739.htm

I have Xunqueria de Zambia on my stopping list for April 20th. Casa Tomas private albergue with 6 beds. Brand new so surprise but thankfully no injuries. Also Xunta Hostel with 24 beds in town

I recall that the problem was across the width of Spain.
I encountered it in both private and muni albergues in years past.
The change would have had to come from a national authority to affect such a wide area.
Hopefully, the practice has been stopped.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
@grayland There are now plenty of Normativas in place which regulate how an official albergue has to function/being equipped, some are driving the respective owners insane but a lot of them make sense. But I must admit I always, always ask what the exit procedures are at night in case of an emergency! I would rather sleep in the church porch or under a hedge then being closed in a place with no emergency exit ;-) But as I have stated before, I haven't encountered one of those 'pilgrims shut in at night' places in many, many years ;-) Buen Camino, SY

In 2013, the albergue in Ourense locked the door at ten o'clock. The albergue was completo.
They used a chain with a padlock.
A huge outrage in the morning when it was discovered by those wanting to leave at about 6 am...including a group of Spanish priests who were walking.
We were very concerned ourselves when we realized we were locked in all night with an overflow crowd.

That one has changed, in spring 2016 there was a 'push open from the inside' front door in that albergue - assuming we both speak of the same one, the Xunta one. Buen Camino, SY

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That one has changed, in spring 2016 there was a 'push open from the inside' front door in that albergue - assuming we both speak of the same one, the Xunta one. Buen Camino, SY
In 2015 it was locked but if you jerked it really fast the lock opened. I guess that's just one of my skills ;)

As someone who hasn't done any Camino (yet) could someone explain this "locked inside" policy? What is the purpose?? Sorry to hear this albergue burned. Thankfully, no loss of life.

As someone who hasn't done any Camino (yet) could someone explain this "locked inside" policy? What is the purpose?? Sorry to hear this albergue burned. Thankfully, no loss of life.

Most Albergues have a curfew, they normally close at around 22:00 - 23:00. The purpose is to avoid that a) a thief can enter at night and b) all pilgrims get a good nights sleep without being disturbed by those coming back very late.

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
La Voz de Galicia reports that Casa Tomás - a fairly new private albergue in Xunqueria de Ambía - has been totally destroyed by fire. Fortunately the owners were the only occupants at the time and they escaped unharmed.
http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notici...ra-ambia/0003_201701201701271485504435739.htm

What a tremendous shame ; it is a lovely town and I recall staying at the municipal albergue, slightly outside of the town. It was a miserable and characterless tin box, while this albergue that has burnt looks to have been full of charm and a bit of history, as well as being located in the town. Very sad, and hope that they are able to return it back to use.

The idea behind this is to let people sleep until a reasonable hour by not having people get up at 5 am to start walking in thr dark at 5:30. While the intention is good, the downside can be dangerous and dramatic.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
it is a lovely town and I recall staying at the municipal albergue, slightly outside of the town. It was a miserable and characterless tin box,
I would describe the muni (xunta) much the same way, all white and stainless. Stayed there in mid-November, last year. But it had all the comforts, was warm and clean.
The Spanish man I was trekking with at the time preferred to stay at the xuntas to support them, ensuring they stay in operation for future pilgrims. But Casa Tomás looked very inviting when we entered the town for dinner. Hope they can rebuild soon.

Casa Tomas is up and running again in an Albergue just round the corner from the old one. At least 7 single beds in 3 rooms. Stayed there a few days ago. Same contact details apply. Good meals next door in bar Luciano

Casa Tomas is up and running again in an Albergue just round the corner from the old one. At least 7 single beds in 3 rooms. Stayed there a few days ago. Same contact details apply. Good meals next door in bar Luciano
Nice to hear good news. Thanks for posting!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back