• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Embalse de Encantara closed 2022

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Terrible news, I could stayv there for a few days any time

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
An important location, logistically especially in the warmer months. It has quite a chequered past alright.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes, it is closed. I've a friend walking at the moment. Means a 36km day with no water points. Very frustrating when beside a dam, and seems illogical, but I could not find a tap or other water source anywhere. So even if you mean to bivy along the way, be prepared with enough water.

Yes, it is closed. I've a friend walking at the moment. Means a 36km day with no water points. Very frustrating when beside a dam, and seems illogical, but I could not find a tap or other water source anywhere. So even if you mean to bivy along the way, be prepared with enough water.
Or a way to purify water?

Accessing the edge of the water would be pretty tricky. At the beginning of the dam I think we got close to the water (can't remember exactly) but I think generally the sides are steep. I suppose if forewarned you could try. I think better to take plenty of water in the first place.

That’ll be my first day back on the camino in March and although I can walk 30 km+ in a day I’m not keen to do so on my first day. So depending on how I feel I ‘ll have as a backup plan to call a taxi when at the Embalse area and return the next day also by taxi to same spot. The virtual planning thread for the VdlP mentioned this as a possibility and I think it’s a good idea.

Where is this exactly? I am starting the Via on March 4 or 5.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where is this exactly? I am starting the Via on March 4 or 5.
About 20km after Casar de Caceres and 10km before Cañaveral. A long day without services of any kind or much shade either. I walked it a couple of days ago in fairly cool weather without problems. Several years ago I walked the same stage in 30+C temperatures and struggled with the heat and lack of water. Be well prepared - especially if the Alcantara albergue is closed. It is not so very long since a 40 year old pilgrim died near Cañaveral from heat exhaustion and dehydration.

That’ll be my first day back on the camino in March and although I can walk 30 km+ in a day I’m not keen to do so on my first day. So depending on how I feel I ‘ll have as a backup plan to call a taxi when at the Embalse area and return the next day also by taxi to same spot. The virtual planning thread for the VdlP mentioned this as a possibility and I think it’s a good idea.
Send your pack ahead that 1st day if u can. Always easier to walk 30klms with no pack. I did that on the Messeta when i had to walk42klms!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It is a great albergue ,what a pity. Not sure what I will do with that stage this year but won't be able to walk 36kms. In 2017 Alcantara was closed so we took a bus to Canaveral from Caceres and walked to Grimaldo that afternoon.

The man who was running the Embalse albergue is not running it any more and they haven't yet found someone to take it over.

Casar de Caceres to Cañaveral is 33.1km by my calculation. You can shorten it a bit by walking the road from the Embalse up to Cañaveral. I've walked this stage several times (in mild weather), it's not that difficult from the point of view of terrain or hills. But, yeah, there is no drinking water.

@makingtrax there is no pack carrying service on the Via.

@geraldkelly, yes I agree about the road. We took the route over the hill, and those who took the road route got to Cañaveral a lot earlier. Although we did manage to get a bit lost, misled by some of the paths made by the AVE construction work.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Have just noticed that on Gronze it says that the Albergue at Embalse de Encantara will be closed in 2022 for administrative reasons If I understand correctly.
My wise pilgrim guide also lists Hostal Alcantara Pesca Evasion as another accommodation other than the Albergue. Is this an error or is this accommodation still available?

Pesca Evasion usually caters for groups on longer stays. They are not usually welcoming to pilgrims for a single night stay.

I have been in WhatsApp contact with the previous licensee. He told me that he is no longer involved with the albergue, but that it is closed because they have found a couple of serious problems. This is not a Covid closure. I know lots of us can remember closures in years past having to do with sewage, drainage, and some serious matters like that, so I imagine that’s what’s going on. It really does put people in a bind because that removes a very obvious stopping place.

My experience with Pesca Evasión is very similar to what others have reported. There was an owner there maybe 10 or more years ago who was more welcoming, but I think he sold it. And the new owners appear to be totally uninterested in pilgrims

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
When I walked the VdlP in 2017 the fishing lodge was also not interested in providing lodging to a pilgrim. I walked on to Canaveral on a level marked trail and did not find the day too difficult. This was on Oct. 17, 2017.

The man who was running the Embalse albergue is not running it any more and they haven't yet found someone to take it over.

Casar de Caceres to Cañaveral is 33.1km by my calculation. You can shorten it a bit by walking the road from the Embalse up to Cañaveral. I've walked this stage several times (in mild weather), it's not that difficult from the point of view of terrain or hills. But, yeah, there is no drinking water.
Depending on your preparation and the season (weather), that stage is a nice walk.
I wouldn’t like to walk it in the heat even with plenty of water but in spring 2019 it was lovely.. I found terrain was just as Gerald describes it.

Given its history, I expect it will open and close many more times in the future!
Hopefully, it gets a new owner soon and reopens. The Albergue at Alcántara (Embalse) is/was excellent and did laundry on request as well as prepared decent food (dinner) on request. Breakfast preps were there for pilgrims to help themselves before leaving. I hope it has similar perks when it re opens eventually.
I ‘ll have as a backup plan to call a taxi when at the Embalse area and return the next day also by taxi to same spot.
When I walked (from Casar de Cásares to the Embalse Albergue / then next day to Grimaldo 23 Apr 2019.. I passed through Cañaveral (peaked inside the Albergue there to look and it looks great /cosy and cared for / plus enroute took the pic below for info- it shows phone numbers and prices for backpack transport and taxi services from different spots along the via. I can’t guarantee that the phone numbers are current now (feb2022) - but may help.

Other pics show terrain to Canaveral &also the beautiful Jara bushes & lavender in flower around that period (April)

Annie.

Attachments

• 2110FCD4-3AF1-4545-83EA-5C8EBEA66954.jpeg
    2110FCD4-3AF1-4545-83EA-5C8EBEA66954.jpeg
    728.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 2AA9495C-F53B-4D1F-844D-416AC94F783C.jpeg
    2AA9495C-F53B-4D1F-844D-416AC94F783C.jpeg
    753.4 KB · Views: 23
  • B11E0B7C-E54C-43D9-8F6F-62A9B4B120DE.jpeg
    B11E0B7C-E54C-43D9-8F6F-62A9B4B120DE.jpeg
    808.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 5937315C-29B4-42EC-BF7F-0EDF333135A2.jpeg
    5937315C-29B4-42EC-BF7F-0EDF333135A2.jpeg
    439.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 0B50644C-1BBF-4026-BE62-6E4FA49DF6F4.jpeg
    0B50644C-1BBF-4026-BE62-6E4FA49DF6F4.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 2E508441-6864-4FAC-8A31-92B68790FD95.jpeg
    2E508441-6864-4FAC-8A31-92B68790FD95.jpeg
    638.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
“When I walked (from Casar de Cásares to the Embalse Albergue / then next day to Grimaldo 23 Apr 2019.. I passed through Canaveral (peaked inside the Albergue there to look and it looks great /cosy and cared for / & enroute took the pic below for info- it shows phone numbers and prices for backpack transport and taxi services from different spots along the via. I can’t guarantee that the phone numbers are current now (feb2022) - but may help.”
Thank you so much! have copied photo on to my phone so I have the phone numbers. Also checked online and there is a taxi Serrano in Canaveral at
+34 639 86 73 36 .

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
One route looks a bit steeper, one a bit longer (not much). How else are they different? Recommendations?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back