• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Estrella del Camino in Fromista

Seabeejefe

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances Leon to Santiago (2016)
Camino Frances St Jean to Santiago (2018)
Anyone else have issues trying to make a reservation at this Albergue. My wife called 3 times and was told each time by the hospitalero that he was to busy and to call back later. Tried calling 3-4 times after 5:00pm and there was no answer. Finally looked up the Albergue on line and the reviews weren’t very good

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The place is nice enough but the guy who runs it seems grumpy, burned out, and 'done' with peregrinos. So it's not the best atmosphere. A friend stayed in a small hotel not so far away whose owners were much more in accord with the spirit of the way.
And if you go a little farther to Poblacion there is Albergue La Finca which gets rave reviews. And a little hotel also in Poblacion whose owner was astonishingly kind when I came in out of a sleet/snow storm, hypothermic and looking for warmth and breakfast.

I have stayed at San Telmo a couple of times for a rest day. Each time I was the only guest, she has a washing machine and a large rear yard for line drying. The rooms are very clean and a nice break from sleeping in dormitories. There is a handful of very good restaurants in Fromista.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We stayed there a couple years ago and I think "grumpy, burned out, done with peregrinos" seems like a good description of the guy who runs the place. After seeing him in action a couple times, we decided to just fly as far under the radar as possible so as to avoid his notice. Overall though, it is a nice enough place - clean, comfortable, convenient, good facilities.

They treat you like you are nothing more than a Pilgrim instead of a tourist... Utterly contemptuous.
;)Yes, I know it sounds like that but actually it wasn't @falcon269. I could care less about frills. Kindness is another matter altogether and it is the essence of the way. And there was no kindness. I actually left a little shaken in the morning after being yelled at for simply needing a little assistance.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was upset with them when I did not get a chocolate on my pillow at bedtime. They treat you like you are nothing more than a Pilgrim instead of a tourist... Utterly contemptuous.

It was definitely more than that. It wasn't that this guy didn't roll out the red carpet - he was actively rude to people. I saw him yell at someone for sitting on a bench in the entrance way while waiting for someone to come out of the dorm. It was raining outside, so this guy was waiting inside. Totally normal thing to do. But the guy who runs the place yelled at him for it and made him go stand outside. It was just weird.

VN sorry you caught this gentleman on one of his sulks.
Thank you Tinca. And I'm sorry you caught the rude edge of the senora!
It was just weird.
And there I thought it was me. But obviously the guy is chronically unhappy, so it just makes me feel compassion.
If you have a thick skin, the place was physically nice enough.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I checked into this albergue today and walked out to check into the municipal not one hour later. The man/woman running it are the rudest people I have encountered in many many years. I was told off for bringing in food I had bought at the local supermarket- there is no access to fridge/microwave/utensils and neither speak a word of English/French. I was the only one there when I left- guessing everyone else read the reviews. Shouldn't be running an albergue, as they clearly hate their jobs/people in general

Similar experience last year—extremely rude Hospitalarios and I thankfully turned around and checked into the municipal—warmer welcome—clean enough and friendly: in terms of a job...do what you love...your energy is felt by those around you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is a new albergue in Fromista called La Luz de Fromista. Looks very promissing.

Walk a few km farther and stay at La Finca, one of the best albergues on the Camino!

I really really recommend La Finca. No bunk beds, each bed in its own little alcove, free washing machines, and they employ a chef so good that the Spanish drive for miles to eat there. Oh, and my Italian amigo I walked with in 2017 loved it so much he married the hospitalera! Just a few km past Fromista.

No reason to stay in Fromista, and like Tincatinka, I find the bars there very unfriendly. On a side note, I have heard a few local Spanish people gossip about Fromista, I won't go into it too much here why but many think it is an odd/crazy/slightly scary place. I have never found it scary at all though. Just not my cup of tea.

Davey

I really really recommend La Finca. No bunk beds, each bed in its own little alcove, free washing machines, and they employ a chef so good that the Spanish drive for miles to eat there. Oh, and my Italian amigo I walked with in 2017 loved it so much he married the hospitalera! Just a few km past Fromista.

No reason to stay in Fromista, and like Tincatinka, I find the bars there very unfriendly. On a side note, I have heard a few local Spanish people gossip about Fromista, I won't go into it too much here why but many think it is an odd/crazy/slightly scary place. I have never found it scary at all though. Just not my cup of tea.

Davey
Isn't it an awesome albergue?! I knew that the restaurant must be good by the number of cars in the parking lot around 2pm.
Who was the hospitalera that your friend married? The one that I met last summer was a woman from California.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Isn't it an awesome albergue?! I knew that the restaurant must be good by the number of cars in the parking lot around 2pm.
Who was the hospitalera that your friend married? The one that I met last summer was a woman from California.

Yeah that is her! My friend left a very high level job with interpol to marry her and move to the states. I only found out when I popped in last year walking back to France.

Edit: oh by the way, she was about to become a partner in the business when I last saw her. Not bad considering she was only originally a pilgrim who stayed the night it opened, then stayed!

Davey

Yeah that is her! My friend left a very high level job with interpol to marry her and move to the states. I only found out when I popped in last year walking back to France.

Edit: oh by the way, she was about to become a partner in the business when I last saw her. Not bad considering she was only originally a pilgrim who stayed the night it opened, then stayed!

Davey
I don't remember her name, but we talked for quite a while. She's from my mother's hometown. I belive that she had a serious injury at one time, and walked her first Camino a bit disabled?

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I don't remember her name, but we talked for quite a while. She's from my mother's hometown. I belive that she had a serious injury at one time, and walked her first Camino a bit disabled?

Yes, motorcycle accident. She was in a wheelchair a long time. Thought she was going to lose her leg for a while. Walking the Camino was a big turning point for her! I cannot remember her first name at the moment either! She married Dario from Italy. I'm friends with them on facebook, but I don't go there often, will have to see how they are doing!

Davey

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, motorcycle accident. She was in a wheelchair a long time. Thought she was going to lose her leg for a while. Walking the Camino was a big turning point for her! I cannot remember her first name at the moment either! She married Dario from Italy. I'm friends with them on facebook, but I don't go there often, will have to see how they are doing!

Davey
Tell her Terri from Oregon says hi. I was there late July or early August last year. Maybe she'll remember me if you tell her that my family is from Chico.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back