• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue etiquette

Tonya Ringle

Time of past OR future Camino
June (2016)
We will be arriving in SJPDP on June 10th. I am sure that I could find the answers to these if I looked hard enough through past forums, but in the interest of time - I'm just going to ask!

From what I am sensing from reading through past forums, it is very bad form to wear/take your dirty shoes and smelly socks in the the alburgues. Is that correct? How does one ask where to leave shoes if it is not obvious.

Also, back packs. I know that you never put them on the bunks because of the risk of spreading bed bugs. But, do you take them in by your bed or are they left out in a common room? If that is the case, is it acceptable to take a smaller bag into where the bunks are for in the morning? I am thinking it might be easiest to just stuff all of one's belongings into it and then leave the sleeping area to go and pack elsewhere so as to not disturb others.

Thanks for your patience with these newbie questions. We want to get off on the right foot, so to speak! :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Normally there is an obvious pot/shelf to leave your shoes/boots/socks outside the dormitory (not the albergue). If not obvious just start to take off your shoes/boots and use sign language, you will be directed to the right spaot.

Actually the "no back packs on beds" rule is older then the reapparance of bed bugs, it is just a basic hygienic matter, imagine where your backpack has been during the day, for example on a dusty/muddy surface when you took a break. Some albergues (few in Spain, but frequent in France) do indeed insist that you leave them outside the dorm and take only what you need for the night into it.

Buen Camino, SY

Normally there is an obvious pot/shelf to leave your shoes/boots/socks outside the dormitory (not the albergue). If not obvious just start to take off your shoes/boots and use sign language, you will be directed to the right spaot.

Actually the "no back packs on beds" rule is older then the reapparance of bed bugs, it is just a basic hygienic matter, imagine where your backpack has been during the day, for example on a dusty/muddy surface when you took a break. Some albergues (few in Spain, but frequent in France) do indeed insist that you leave them outside the dorm and take only what you need for the night into it.

Buen Camino, SY
Thank you! BTW, your book Pilgrim Tips and Packing List is wonderful! We have read it and re-read it. I love your tip on the double socks. We purchased bamboo liner socks and wool outers. I have worn my hiker to the gym and on practice walks. Not a blister or hot spot so far!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The good thing is that almost everyone else (almost) is also new to the Camino and will be adjusting to albergues at the same time.

As Sy points out is is all pretty straight forward and obvious.
No need to have a worry in this area.

Buen Camino, SY

Oh my God Mrs. Yates! I read your book and just loved it!! It is so pragmatic and helpful, funny and full of information. I've just walked the first stages from Irún to Bilbao, and I would recommend your book to anyone willing to walk the Camino and seeking for information. Keep on writing and informing us! Thank you so much!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Buen Camino, SY
thanks for that info; useful to know in advance...one can prepare how one packs ;) Also good to know about the boots/shoes.

Additional tip for boots/shoes.

In the morning other pilgrims might confuse your pair of boots/shoes with theirs, causing both of you grief and pain as you walk on with the wrong boots/shoes.

Tie your two boots/shoes together in the evening, store them in the top shelf corner nobody wants to use and/or exchange their regular laces for some "glow at night" or really colourful ones!

Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Same goes for poles! Hang them on the end of your bed, under your bed or off to the side from the bucket full of poles. I only had one issue with my pole at Samos. Someone had "kindly" reduced their length, so they were hidden deep down in the bucket. My panic only lasted about 5 minutes until everyone had departed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Also if you are travelling with someone else, "mate" your boots so both are different sizes and types. Then tie them together. And I collapsed my poles each night if I had to leave them in the bin, figured it made it harder for someone to mistake them for theirs.

Thank you! BTW, your book Pilgrim Tips and Packing List is wonderful! We have read it and re-read it. I love your tip on the double socks. We purchased bamboo liner socks and wool outers. I have worn my hiker to the gym and on practice walks. Not a blister or hot spot so far!
Where can i get this book?!:) I leave in two weeks and about to shop for all my gear... Pack, socks etc. great timing!! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Click on the link under @SYates ' post above. You are leaving in 2 weeks - I sincerely hope you have already bought your boots :cool:
Hmm well I had some very comfy well worn hiking shoes which is planned to wear but a sharp stone has come right through so I'm about to purchase some more and yes I've got 14 days to wear them in :/

Hmm well I had some very comfy well worn hiking shoes which is planned to wear but a sharp stone has come right through so I'm about to purchase some more and yes I've got 14 days to wear them in :/
Jenn, if you only have 2 weeks to wear your new shoes, I strongly encourage you to make a hefty investment in Compeed and moleskin!

It's ok my orthotic guy has approved my current walking shoes which are very well worn in and I have some new very comfy Tevas as rescue feet too :) but yes plenty of compeed and Vaseline and good wool socks/ liners also packed.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Where can i get this book?!:) I leave in two weeks and about to shop for all my gear... Pack, socks etc. great timing!! :)
Reading this thread, I just ordered it on Amazon to my Kindle - already delivered!!

Reading this thread, I just ordered it on Amazon to my Kindle - already delivered!!
Can you please send me the link? I've read a lot of posts here about what to pack? Did you find it any different? On your speed read I mean ;)

Can you please send me the link? I've read a lot of posts here about what to pack? Did you find it any different? On your speed read I mean ;)
http://smile.amazon.com/s/?tag=casaivar02-20

What I did when I went to Amazon was just paste the book title in the search box, so if for any reason that link doesn't work, try that. I actually haven't looked at it yet; went by the rave reviews earlier in this thread to figure it was worth a try.

Hope you enjoy it, and buen camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
http://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_29?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=pilgrim+tips+and+packing+list+camino&sprefix=Pilgrim+Tips+and+Packing+List,aps,376&tag=camiforu-20

What I did when I went to Amazon was just paste the book title in the search box, so if for any reason that link doesn't work, try that. I actually haven't looked at it yet; went by the rave reviews earlier in this thread to figure it was worth a try.

Hope you enjoy it, and buen camino!
Thanks anyway Kari, Amazon site says is not available on kindle for Australia. And as I'm packing currently (ready to leave in ten days,) I can't wait for it to be shipped so will have to go by the posts I've found on here. :)

Thanks anyway Kari, Amazon site says is not available on kindle for Australia. And as I'm packing currently (ready to leave in ten days,) I can't wait for it to be shipped so will have to go by the posts I've found on here. :)
Too bad! I did start it last night and really enjoyed it. Buen camino.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.