• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue help

Brianmcauley

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2nd 2019, sj to santiago dc
Hi all

I am planning my first camino frances starting April 2nd saint jean' I have done fair bit of research but have a question about accommodation.
I know about the different types of albergues and for example an albergue listed on the village to village guide might be advertised as a private hostel on their website.

Question is how do we know what albergue is pilgrim only? I want to avoid drunk teenagers on a weekend away, not saying that all teenagers are drunk but have a small anxiety about getting stuck in a dorm with potentially shifty folk.... Is it even a problem in Spain?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I think you are boxing at shadows here. Yes there are people who over imbibe, and I think you will find there are thieves as well and you might be unlucky enough to have them cross your path.

But my experience on three different pilgrimages in Spain is that these people are unlikely to be teenagers on a weekend party. They will be your fellow pilgrims that have stayed a little too long in the local bar, and are a little disruptive when they return to the dormitory.

The few teenagers that I did meet at different times behaved, in my view, about the same as the more sober older pilgrims. Those teenagers who were walking the last 100 km were lively and chatty on the trail, but never badly behaved in any of the albergues that I stayed in.

I would suggest that your fears might be alleviated by taking care of your personal possessions in the albergues, and having a good set of earplugs to drown out the snoring.

Last edited:
DougFitz is spot on... Here is my opinion, for what it is worth.

The near universal rule is that you must produce a stamped and valid pilgrim credencial to be admitted to an albergue. The second rule is that you must have carried your backpack and arrived on foot (or bicycle).

So, someone pouring themselves out of a car and entering an albergue should never get a bed. At least that is they way it is SUPPOSED to work. Albergues are hostels intended for pilgrims, not tourists.

If you are staying in albergues, you will encounter a broad cross-section of humanity from all over the world. Everyone behaves differently, some better than others. Some folks will imbibe too much and behave boorishly. This is life...s*&t happens...

The only two ways I know of, to avoid this potential issue, if it is that important to you, are to:

1.Stay at private albergues, making advance reservations when you can. These are privately run. Many are in private homes, and are slightly more expensive than public, municipal or church run albergues. This does not eliminate the risk, it does reduce it...based on cost usually.

2. Stay in commercial lodging, hostals or hotels. This costs significantly more than the lowest, cheapest albergue. But, you do get what you pay for.

However, I can speak from experience when I tell you that noisy, drunk, inconsiderate behavior crosses all ethnic, nationality and age lines. Also, paying more merely mitigates the likelihood. It does not eliminate the exposure at all. That is why I always carry both earplugs (several sets) and an eyeshade.

This is the Camino, it is not always perfect. But it is always there to welcome you back.

Hope this helps.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
In my three times down the Frances, the only time I experienced party-goers using the municipal albergue for cheap accommodation was on a Friday night in Burgos. They were adults and had credentials that had been acquired that day.

Ah okay thanks, I could not see the difference between albergues and regular type hostels, so if its an albergue is generally for pilgrims? Some more strict than others I guess, thanks for your help and your opinion was valuable to me:)

If you are looking to avoid drunk people, it may be worth having a look at the schedule you have planned and avoid the fiesta days in each town. My first night of the Ingles was in the municipal next to a town square, and the bands were on until 3 or 4. It was a groggy first 30 minutes of the day, as I didn't sleep too much!

It was only the once...but to me the 5am rustlers with a full beam head torch is more of an annoyance! :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Drunk teenagers? Never saw any. Loud pilgrims talking on their phones in the evening, alarms ringing, bags rustling, and headlamps sweeping across the dorm at 5am? Daily occurrence! Funny how one’s biases can be quickly reset while traveling.

I accepted it all as a challenge to my patience and “serenity now” mantra on the Camino.

Teenagers generally aren't looking to party in small towns in the middle of nowhere, which describes about 90% of Camino towns. 😊
In general, you don't really have anything to worry about. Some guides do designate which albergues/hostels are for pilgrims only. But has been mentioned that doesn't mean that you won't encounter drunk and/or loud pilgrims.

I stayed in a parochial albergue where a young woman shouted very loudly in the middle of the night, waking everyone in the albergue (except herself). The one thing that you can guarantee in an albergue dormitory is that you have very little (read "no") control over what anyone else does. In some cases, as with this young woman. who had just begun to talk in her sleep, you don't even have control over what you do. That is part of the joy of communal living. And as an extreme introvert who lives alone, I mean that seriously. Buen camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The only parties that kept us awake were the Spanish celebrating their football team's victory in their own homes and cafes. Ole Ole Ole.
They seemed pretty happy and werent a threat to anyone.
Oh and in a half asleep uncoordinated effort to get to the bathroom during the night, I fell down the bunk ladder, knocked over a pack and sprawled myself on the floor.
That woke everyone up as well. Including me.

Ah okay thanks, I could not see the difference between albergues and regular type hostels, so if its an albergue is generally for pilgrims? Some more strict than others I guess, thanks for your help and your opinion was valuable to me:)

In Spain, a hostel (spelled with an 'e') is a high density, dormitory type (usually but not always) place for pilgrim to sleep. The common name in Spain is "albergue."

Albergues may be privately owned / family operated. OR, they can be run by the local municipality, church, or a civic organization.

The former type are private albergues and many can be found and reserved online. They cost more than more public albergues.

Generally, "public" albergues, the latter category, are NOT reservable online. There are always exceptions. They usually charge € 10 or less. Again, there are always exceptions.

A subset of public albergues includes 'donativo' albergues. These places accept donations for the services offered.

A hostal (spelled with an 'a') is usually a small, private, frequently family run, B & B or hotel. IN the reservation systems they typically score about one star.

Hope this helps.

There are generally four types of albergues:
  1. Parochial albergues, run by churches, convents, monasteries and the like - that is, religious organizations. Many of these are "donativo" (pay by donation). They also often offer some sort of religious service in the evening. You do not have to beling to the religion, be religious or participate in the evening services to stay there. You generally need a credencial to prove you are a pilgrim. They often do not take reservations and may give preference to walkers over cyclists.
  2. Association albergues, run by various "Friends of the Camino" associations from different countries. This is the other type that most often has "donativo" albergues. Often staffed by volunteers from around the world. Some of these associations are religious in nature and some of these also offer evening services. Again, all pilgrims are welcome, but you generally need to demonstrate you are a pilgrim with a credencial. They often do not take reservations and may give preference to walkers over cyclists.
  3. Municipal albergues, run by the municipality or local government. These are generally less expensive than the private albergues and often (but not always) have somewhat less amenities. You generally need to demonstrate you are a pilgrim with a credencial. They often do not take reservations and may give preference to walkers over cyclists.
  4. Private albergues, run by private individuals. These come in all types. They may be little different than the backpacker hostels you see in cities around the world. They may be someone opening their home to pilgrims with hospitality. They may be attached to a hotel, providing dormitory spaces for pilgrims at lower cost than a hotel room. Some are exclusive to pilgrims; others are not. Most take reservations. On average, they tend to have more amenities and be more expensive than the other types of albergues.

Given a choice, I'll pick the albergue with a communal meal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Given a choice, I'll pick the albergue with a communal meal.
That's a good choice but truth be told to get the best chance of a restful night we usually chose the albergues that had the smallest bed to room ratio.

I agree with most of the above opinions about albergues hosting wild kids. I didn't run into this. A few times there were misbehaving adults but nothing as terrible as Peg's mood after being woken at 5 AM.

There are also private albergues that are donativo, like La Casa de las Sonrisas in Grañon.
And many people assume that private albergues are "nicer" than municipal albergues. Definitely not true. I have stayed in some pretty "rustic" private albergues, like La Hutte in Atapuerca, and some fabulous municipal ones. Thinking in particular of the Xunta albergue in Dumbria.

DougFitz is spot on... Here is my opinion, for what it is worth.

The near universal rule is that you must produce a stamped and valid pilgrim credencial to be admitted to an albergue. The second rule is that you must have carried your backpack and arrived on foot (or bicycle).

So, someone pouring themselves out of a car and entering an albergue should never get a bed. At least that is they way it is SUPPOSED to work. Albergues are hostels intended for pilgrims, not tourists.

If you are staying in albergues, you will encounter a broad cross-section of humanity from all over the world. Everyone behaves differently, some better than others. Some folks will imbibe too much and behave boorishly. This is life...s*&t happens...

The only two ways I know of, to avoid this potential issue, if it is that important to you, are to:

1.Stay at private albergues, making advance reservations when you can. These are privately run. Many are in private homes, and are slightly more expensive than public, municipal or church run albergues. This does not eliminate the risk, it does reduce it...based on cost usually.

2. Stay in commercial lodging, hostals or hotels. This costs significantly more than the lowest, cheapest albergue. But, you do get what you pay for.

However, I can speak from experience when I tell you that noisy, drunk, inconsiderate behavior crosses all ethnic, nationality and age lines. Also, paying more merely mitigates the likelihood. It does not eliminate the exposure at all. That is why I always carry both earplugs (several sets) and an eyeshade.

This is the Camino, it is not always perfect. But it is always there to welcome you back.

Hope this helps.
I’ve done 3 Caminos and never heard or saw the rule you had to carry your packback.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
There are also private albergues that are donativo, like La Casa de las Sonrisas in Grañon.
And many people assume that private albergues are "nicer" than municipal albergues. Definitely not true. I have stayed in some pretty "rustic" private albergues, like La Hutte in Atapuerca, and some fabulous municipal ones. Thinking in particular of the Xunta albergue in Dumbria.
Absolutely. Casa da Fernanda on the Camino Portugues is also a donativo private albergue and was fabulous to boot. But I will stand by my assertion that on average private albergues have more amenities. Dumbria may have had a fabulous Xunta albergue, but many have kitchens that are completely bare of cooking gear (like most pilgrims are carrying pots and pans) and the showers without curtains at the Xunta albergue in O Cebreiro seemed an unnecessary frugality to my teenage son.

Last edited:
The lack of a shower curtain was less of an issue then NO hot water in the showers when we arrived at the O Cebreiro albuergue in cold, driving rain! BRRRRRRRRRR!!! 😫

Absolutely. Casa da Fernanda on the Camino Portugues is also a donativo private albergue and was fabulous to boot. But I will stand by my assertion that on average private albergues have more amenities. Dumbris may have had a fabulous Xunta albergue, but many have kitchens that are completely bare of cooking gear (like most pilgrims are carrying pots and pans) and the showers without curtains at the Xunta albergue in O Cebreiro seemed an unnecessary frugality to my teenage son.

Not just your son David....I must admit I've not showered in quite such a place since I gave up rugby at 23. And i never liked showering after a rugby game neither!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I’ve done 3 Caminos and never heard or saw the rule you had to carry your packback.

Some albergues do not accept backpacks delivered by luggage services, which eliminates the pilgrims who are not carrying their own things. Usually they make exceptions for people with medical problems.
(We follow this policy at my house. )

There are albergues that have rules about this and many other things besides. These are not universal rules that apply to all albergues, just to one or a few, which can make it more difficult to know whether or not you will get a bed.

Brierley's guide describes such limitations, as do sites like Gronze, but how complete these are I cannot tell.

Hi,
I am planning my first camino frances starting 12/13th may i'm 51 yrs young, @ st jean, I have done a bit of research but have a question about accommodation can anyone recommend an albergue ?
ideally albergue for pilgrims....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
You don’t need Spanish to read Gronze. Or not much any way. The language is simple and repetitive, the symbols are fairly universal. Stop thinking “I don’t understand Spanish”. Work on understanding some simple Spanish. You’re planning to walk in Spain remember 😀

You don’t need Spanish to read Gronze. Or not much any way. The language is simple and repetitive, the symbols are fairly universal. Stop thinking “I don’t understand Spanish”. Work on understanding some simple Spanish. You’re planning to walk in Spain remember 😀
lol,

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
...And many people assume that private albergues are "nicer" than municipal albergues. Definitely not true. I have stayed in some pretty "rustic" private albergues, like La Hutte in Atapuerca...
I LUV the 'Rustic' places! 😍 It could have a dirt floor, as long as it's swept. ;)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.