• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Aljucen

Roger Hogstrom

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2001 and 2006, Via de la plata 2007,2010,2017,2019. CdM 3 times Ruta de la lana (2021
This summer I stayed in the Albergue Rio in Aljucen. It seems to be closed now. How is the Albergue situation in Aljucen ?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
This summer I stayed in the Albergue Rio in Aljucen. It seems to be closed now. How is the Albergue situation in Aljucen ?

Gronze is mostly well up to date so yes the albergue seems to be closed.

Only a more expensive hotel at the entrance of the village.

I have seen on other websites that there is a new albergue. Is it so?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have seen on other websites that there is a new albergue. Is it so?

Eroski says not.
El Carrascalejo, two kilometres before Aljucen is an alternative.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Albergue Rio was new in 2017,hopefully not closed. Municipal was closed then.

Just looked at Gronze. Looks like San Andres has been renovated,that was where I stayed in 2012. Albergue Rio was right next the cafe/restaurant.
Things change I suppose.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I stayed in Carrascalejo this June and found it very pleasant. It is a quiet little village with a beautiful church and a bar next to the albergue, where you could get simple meals.

The Albergue Rio Aljucén and AnnaLena at Aljucén were fighting for customers in a very offensive manner (Graffitis claiming to be the only "true" albergue) at that time. Now it seems, that there is only a municipal albergue left, "San Andres". Antonio Retamoso - directory of albergues VdP is always up to date. But in the April Edition with which I walked, the other two albergues were still mentioned.

BC
Alexandra

Last edited:
I stayed in Carrascalejo this June and found it very pleasant. It is a quiet little village with a beautiful church and a bar next to the albergue, where you could get simple meals.

The Albergue Rio Aljucén and AnnaLena at Aljucén were fighting for customers in a very offensive manner (Graffitis claiming to be the only "true" albergue) at that time. Now it seems, that there is only a municipal albergue left, "San Andres". Antonio Retamoso - directory of albergues VdP is always up to date. But in the April Edition with which I walked, the other two albergues were still mentioned.

BC
Alexandra
Hi, Alexandra, I witnessed that ugliness too. I had decided to stay in the Rio Aljucén. At least ten people arrived after it was full, and the owner told them there was no place else to stay in town, so they took a cab to Alcuéscar. But in fact, we later learned, AnnaLena’s place had space. She is also the owner of the now closed Casa Rural, and my understanding is that there was a political battle over that as well.

Is AnnaLena’s the same as what is now the San Andrés? Looks like the same location and building to me but I could be wrong.

Yes, I also thought, that according to the maps it is the same place and that the municipality just renamed the albergue since Annalena was not longer taking care of it.

From Annalenas facebook-page you can learn that she gave up due to political&neighbourhood quarrels. And it seems that the Albergue Rio Aljucén has been closed due to familiy problems for an indetermined period of time, perhaps forever.

Addition: Just having checked the adress and the photographs of the albergue as well as Google earth I am sure, that Albergue San Andrés is the same building formerly known as Albergue Annalena. I stayed there in 2009. The rooms have been refurbished, but the size and use of the different rooms as well as the backyard terrace is still the same.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Something a little unusual on the Spanish news websites today. Two pilgrims forced to climb an oak tree to escape from a cow defending her calf. Apparently they called the Guardia Civil from their...
Hello, I am researching the Sanabrés and have discovered that since the AVE construction is complete, this section from Requejo to Padornelo has a new route available along the Requejo River. Our...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back