• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Alverca ??

James Trehy

Time of past OR future Camino
In am doing the C Portugese in Sept. In Brierlys guide he says that there is no accommodation in Alverca, his first stop. However, I see on the internet that there is one called AHBV.
Does this exist, how do you get to it and has anybody stayed here ?
Thanks in advance for any help..

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi James,

I don't know about anything in Alverca, but I can tell you that there is a great Albergue about 20 km from the cathedral in Lisbon. It is in a town called Alpriate, and it has been very well received by people walking from Lisbon.

My opinion is that if you are going to start in Lisbon, you should walk the 20 km first day and stay in that albergue. It is a perfect first night stop. There is a great café there, with well priced pilgrim meals. And it is a good way to meet the people with whom you will be walking for the next few weeks. People love that albergue. https://m.facebook.com/AlbergueAlpriate/

However, I see on the internet that there is one called AHBV.

Hi, that would stand for: Associação Humanitária de Bombeiros Voluntários. (Voluntary Firemen.) It used to be possible to stay at fire stations, but not so much any more.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The closest I can find is not an albergue, but something else in

VERDELHA DE BAIXO

Antes da Estação C.F. de Alverca, 2 km fora do Caminho mas sinalizado.
Várias opções:

A Faia – 15 € – Tel: 931 612 110 / 219 596 197
Dormidas Leal – 12,50 € – Tel: 219 585 902
A Lanterna – 15 € / 30 € – Tel: 965 204 469 / 219 576 488
Alfa 10 – 16 € / 26 € – Tel: 219 580 475

...and as jsalt mentiones, the firemen is not much of an option anymore

The AHBV (Firemen) in Alverca accept no pilgrims at leat since 2010.
As Peregrina2000 wrote, stop at Alpriate. Even if not staying there they will give you all the info you need to reach the next sleeping place, even call them to know if there are places available.
The next sleeping place is, as cj2003 wrote,
Before the Train Station in Alverca, 2km away from the Camino but signed.
Several options:
A Faia – 15 € – Tel: 931 612 110 / 219 596 197
Dormidas Leal – 12,50 € – Tel: 219 585 902
A Lanterna – 15 € / 30 € – Tel: 965 204 469 / 219 576 488
Alfa 10 – 16 € / 26 € – Tel: 219 580 475

I am not sure about those prices, they keep changing them.

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back