• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Barcelos

Johannad1979

Hello
I'm setting off with a friend to walk the Camino Portugues from Porto on Tuesday next week - very excited! I wonder if anyone who has walked the route recently can clear something up for me though? I've read conflicting things about whether there is an open albergue in Barcelos or not. Can anyone tell me if there is?!
Thanks
Johanna

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I just finished the Camino Portugues. However, we stayed in private accommodation rather than albergues along the route (we earn to much and are too old to endure sleeping in a dorm if we don't have to). Even though we were 'peregrinos de lujo', we did meet up with other peregrinos. However, I am struggling to remember if any of them mentioned an albergue in Barcelos. I used the John Brierley guide to the Camino Portugues, which is up to date and excellent. He doesn't mention an albergue. I also checked the cofraternity downloadable guide and didn't see an albergue mentioned. You might want to contact Nuno, who is the hospitalerao at Rates. He recently did the Camino Portuges with us and he is writing a guide book, so he would know if anyone did. His email, via the Rates website is: geral@alberguederates.com (tell him that Nicole from Canada says 'hello' and that I hope that he is over his throat infection!).

By the way, the Rates albergue stamp is one of the best I have ever seen! Well worth a stop. Nuno, who should be back by now, is a cool dude.

A number of people do the coastal route starting in Matosinhos (Porto metro station: Mercado), then go up to Vila do Conde and join on with the main route at Rates. If you spent the night at Rates, you would then push through Barcelos and then stay at the Albergue at Portela. This would certainly shorten the Barcelos-Ponte de Lima section, which at over 30km was quite a long day.

See my 'Live from the Camino' posting for info on where you need to pay attention to waymarkings.

Nicole

I walked in April. There was not an albergue then. We stayed at residencial Dom Nuno (I think it was 30-40 euros for a triple including breakfast). THe staff there really looked after us. I believe that the fire station will put up pilgrims. The friendly tourist office in Barcelos can point you toward inexpensive accomodation.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
There was no albergue when I walked in July. I stayed at the Bomberos Voluntarios but be careful, there is also a Bombeiros in Barceliño where they will send you up the hill (2 klms) to a school. If it doesn't matter to you which one then the school might be nicer, but if you are planning on meeting up with someone (as I was) make sure they know which one!
More about the Camino Portuguese (and Barcelos) on my blog.
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgrimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

Great! Thanks for being so helpful. I've been reading your reports on the route on the forum the past few days and I'm soooooo excited! Trying to keep the balance between being prepared and leaving space for surprises. I head off tomorrow so any last minute tips would be appreciated. Otherwise, I'll let you know how we got on when I get back!
Thanks again
J

If you can, try to meet up with Fernanda in Lugar do Corto, about 24 klms from Barcelos and before Ponte de Lima. After the crossroads and the church (there's a signboard saying Barcelos 20 klms) you'll walk along a road and when you get to the next settlement her house is the white one second on the left. You'll rarely meet a nicer person!
Buen Camino,
Tracy Saunders
http://www.pilgimagetoheresy.blogspot.com

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi, there was no albergue there in May. There was some indication in my brierley guide of an albergue just past barcelos but I was assured by several people (including the tired folks at the tourist office who looked like they were asked the question a lot) that it does not exist.
Thus far I´m afraid it´s just a rumour!
We stayed in a hotel just behind the church - was very nice twin room for 40 euros. I also met and irish guy who told me he camped down by the river if your budget is more camping than hotel-ing!

Hello pilgrims,

The Albergue in Tamel de S. Fins (9k after Barcelos) is not open yet. We hope that it opens this month (September) or, at least, next month.

Now, I will say the alternatives:

1 - Stay in Barcelos in an hostel;

2- Go to Tamel - 9k further - and when you find a Restaurant on the left side, say that you are pilgrims and you can stay in a small room, on concrete floor (take a camping mattress). No showers, try to talk with someone from the local government. On the back of this room, near the church you can see the future albergue.

There's no more known accomodations meanwhile.

That's all for this. Sorry the english

Nuno Ribeiro
Albergue de Peregrinos de S. Pedro de Rates - Caminho Português
http://www.alberguederates.com
http://www.alberguederates.com/forum

We were in Barcelos on 23rd September and there was no albergue there.
Sharon

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I stamped in the Bombeiros in Barceliños. It's not easy to stamp, or to obtain a "carimbo" so if you have the choice ... it's good to take it.

Buen Camino,

Javier Martin
Madrid, Spain.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back