• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Encinas Reales?

bjorgts

Time of past OR future Camino
In Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003
I plan to walk Camino Mozarabe from Malaga in March. When I study all the info I can find, and plan my stages, I end up with this question: Is there or is there not an albergue open in Encinas Reales? Since I try to avoid much more than 30 km, this will be I place to stay for a night, but the information about the albergue here differ.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, bjorts,

I've been collecting information about the various branches of the Camino Mozarabe, and this list of accommodations from the Andaluz Federation lists an "office" for pilgrims but no Albergue.

http://caminosantiagoandalucia.org/...rgues-alojamientos-camino-mozarabe-de-malaga/

But Maggie (magwood) and George would know better -- they walked last year from Malaga. Have you seen her great blog?

Buen camino, Laurie

Thank you. Yes, it was that list that confused me. The Asociación Jacobea de Málaga have this information: "Servicios en Encinas Reales. Encinas tiene todos los servicios básicos. El Ayuntamiento (957 597 128) está en la Plaza de la Democracia s/n. El Albergue está en la Ermita del Calvario, en la salida de Encinas, dirección Antequera. Llave en Policía Local (629 718 918)."
I have seen the blog and the video of Maggie, but she did not stop in Encinas Reales, and say nothing about accommodation.
A blog - which I cannot find now, seaid that four walkers who had planed to stay in Encinas Reales could not find anyone to open the albergue. Do not remember which year.

Bjorg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you. Yes, it was that list that confused me. The Asociación Jacobea de Málaga have this information: "Servicios en Encinas Reales. Encinas tiene todos los servicios básicos. El Ayuntamiento (957 597 128) está en la Plaza de la Democracia s/n. El Albergue está en la Ermita del Calvario, en la salida de Encinas, dirección Antequera. Llave en Policía Local (629 718 918)."
I have seen the blog and the video of Maggie, but she did not stop in Encinas Reales, and say nothing about accommodation.
A blog - which I cannot find now, seaid that four walkers who had planed to stay in Encinas Reales could not find anyone to open the albergue. Do not remember which year.

Bjorg
Haven't walked Mozarabe but I think the situation might be similar to many villages on Levante where there are no albergues as such but ayuntamientos/policia local provides some sort of shelters (acogidas municipales) for pilgrims. Usually some sort of bed or gym mats, shower and that's it. I'd say it's maybe the same here because of location: la Ermita del Calvario.

I think I assumed there was no actual albergue. But you could phone the number for the ayuntamiento and ask. Or contact the amigos in Malaga. I am sure they would either know, or find out for you.
I will be happy to try and help with any other queries you may have.
Buen Camino.

Link to Malaga amigos website

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thank you. Yes, I can phone them. I think I will. From what I have read from others, it seems to be several nice and pretty new albergues on this route, so I thought it might be different from the situation on Levante. (I have walked Levante from both Alicante and Valencia. I have walked Mozarabe too, but not Malaga - Cordoba, so hope to do so in March 2017.)

Thank you. Yes, I can phone them. I think I will. From what I have read from others, it seems to be several nice and pretty new albergues on this route, so I thought it might be different from the situation on Levante. (I have walked Levante from both Alicante and Valencia. I have walked Mozarabe too, but not Malaga - Cordoba, so hope to do so in March 2017.)
:D You haven't walk Levante from Alicante - that might be Sureste ;)

OK. Combining Sureste and Levante in different ways and different parts, starting both from Valencia (Levante) and Alicante (Sureste). Better? The subject was another this time, so it was not so important to be exact about those details, I thought. Bjorg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I plan to walk Camino Mozarabe from Malaga in March. When I study all the info I can find, and plan my stages, I end up with this question: Is there or is there not an albergue open in Encinas Reales? Since I try to avoid much more than 30 km, this will be I place to stay for a night, but the information about the albergue here differ.
Hey!

For anyone currently looking for info on this: I'm now at the albergue in Encinas Reales! You can call the Policía Local, who will tell you to go to the Ayuntamiento (Calle Cruz 4) and then they will meet you there to hand you the key.

The albergue has lots of beds, a microwave, toilets and showers. Not a real kitchen.

It's located at the 'Explanada' of the chapel (Ermita), which I had to look up, and which means the 'terrace' of the chapel. Basically you go through the gates and immediately look to your right.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'll hope to stay there early March. I was just now researching all albergues along the route from Malaga, and saw your post. Great timing for me to see this. Thanks again. Are you by any chance blogging/posting your walk, and listing places you've stayed?

Thank you! I'll hope to stay there early March. I was just now researching all albergues along the route from Malaga, and saw your post. Great timing for me to see this. Thanks again. Are you by any chance blogging/posting your walk, and listing places you've stayed?
Glad to hear! For sure, I'm happy to list the albergues so far. I expect my list to be similar to what others have posted, but here goes a January 2023 version. All the albergues I stayed at had blankets. I used my (light, summer) sleeping bag and then put the blankets on top of it, wore my fleece vest if necessary and wasn't cold at any moment. I have been lucky with the weather, though.

Junta de los Caminos: no albergue
Hostal Jose Carlos

Almogía:
Albergue de peregrinos (La Noria)
Microwave. One person wrote in the guestbook that they have been cold at night in this albergue, maybe handy for some to know.
Alonso the policeman arrived in 10 minutes, very kind man too.

Villanueva de la Concepción:
Albergue de peregrinos
Microwave, fridge. (Maybe more, I don't remember).
I was unlucky here - waited for 2 hours until someone could open the door for me. Maybe everyone was busy on the 5th of January in preparation for the 6th. Anyway, from what I've read, others have had more luck and were able to retrieve the key from the lady living opposite the albergue (she wasn't home when I arrived and nobody else seemed to have the key).

Antequera:
Hotel Manzanito (there is a pilgrim's albergue, but I happened to have already booked).
Antequera was beautiful and could make a good rest day town.

Villanueva de Algaidas:
Albergue de peregrinos
Very large. Has kitchen: microwave, fridge, freezer compartment, electric stove.
Side note: I left this town when it was still completely dark, which I don't recommend for this etapa. More comfortable to have at least some beginning sunlight, since you have to go through sandy / muddy / bushy parts.

Encinas Reales:
Albergue de peregrinos
Microwave, a bit more basic generally (but lots of beds).
Located at the 'terrace' of the chapel, go through the gates and immediately look to your right. Given the gate-like door that lets air through, this albergue risks being colder at night, I think (I used two blankets and was fine).

Lucena: no albergue yet
Stayed at an apartment, which was sadly the cheapest (but not cheap) option.
Bar Junior B for breakfast, if that's near where you stay (opened at 7.30 when I was there, at this time of year it's light around 8AM so may be early enough).

Cabra: no albergue yet
Pensión Guerrero

Baena: no albergue yet?
Ruta del Califato
This is supposedly the only albergue (not a peregrino one), but I seem to remember having seen info on the Baena albergue de peregrinos somewhere - worth finding out. I was recommended this albergue by María José from Pensión Guerrero, who is tremendously helpful (!).

A handy resource I used for phone numbers and addresses of the albergues is this:

E.g. for Villanueva de la Concepción:

The site isn't always easy to navigate, so I usually just googled 'albergue peregrino [name of town]' and looked for this website to come up.

In general, for info on whether a town has an albergue or not and whether it is open (or how soon someone can open it for you), usually the phone numbers listed are from the policía local / guardía civil, so you can also just look those up and call for info. I've also found it handy to ask the local Oficina de Turismo about albergues. In the coming time (months, year?), the plan seems to be to open new albergues, so for those travelling in the upcoming time it might be worthwhile checking with the authorities if they're open yet. Calling seems to get you to more reliable information than some of the websites do, which are not always up to date (same for the opening hours of restaurants in e.g. Cabra, sad face).

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you ever so much for this concise summary. I am excited about my upcoming walk. I'm used to calling ahead, but it's nice to have information from a fellow pilgrim who has walked so recently.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back