• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue In Grajal de Campos

henrymorgan

Has anyone stayed in the albergue in Grajal de Campos this year ? If so, how many beds are available and what is the albergue like ?
Thanks for your time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has anyone stayed in the albergue in Grajal de Campos this year ? If so, how many beds are available and what is the albergue like ?
Thanks for your time.
Hola, Henry,

I walked CdM in 2014 and stayed in Grajal assuming that there is albergue. It was planned but recession stopped the renovation. I don't know what the current situation is but it is possible to sleep there. See my Madrid journal:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/finally-my-camino-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/page-2
Grajal de Campos post is no.130.

Ultreia!

I live a few miles from Grajal; last time I was there (with the Camino DitchPigs cleanup crew!) nobody in town knew what was up with that place, nor could they say who had the albergue keys. It was a project of the mayor who was voted out in the last election, so it kinda went away when he did. Or so says the barman.

Still, it's worth a try to ask. You might get lucky and get a tour of the palace once you're in!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hola, Henry,

I walked CdM in 2014 and stayed in Grajal assuming that there is albergue. It was planned but recession stopped the renovation. I don't know what the current situation is but it is possible to sleep there. See my Madrid journal:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/finally-my-camino-de-madrid-june-2014.25354/page-2
Grajal de Campos post is no.130.

Ultreia!

Thanks for the information, stayed in Santervas last time, but would like a change this year.

I live a few miles from Grajal; last time I was there (with the Camino DitchPigs cleanup crew!) nobody in town knew what was up with that place, nor could they say who had the albergue keys. It was a project of the mayor who was voted out in the last election, so it kinda went away when he did. Or so says the barman.

Still, it's worth a try to ask. You might get lucky and get a tour of the palace once you're in!

Thanks for that information. It does not sound too promising, which is a pity. Probably have to stay in Santervas again, which I was hoping to avoid.

you don't like Santervas?
you can always go straight out of Villalon along the two-lane to Villada, where there's a fine and underused pilgrim albergue, a warm welcome, and good food. Join the Camino Frances the following day at Moratinos.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
you don't like Santervas?
you can always go straight out of Villalon along the two-lane to Villada, where there's a fine and underused pilgrim albergue, a warm welcome, and good food. Join the Camino Frances the following day at Moratinos.

I much appreciate your time and local knowledge in helping me with my question. It is not that I do not like Santervas, but on my first visit, when I was alone, I stayed in the albergue in Santervas. There was also a Spanish walker going in the opposite direction, that is back to Madrid. At six o`clock in the evening the lady in charge of the albergue asked us to meet her at the church, in order to pay and have our credentials stamped. This meeting then turned into a tour of the church, conducted in Spanish and lasted for over an hour. Should I need to stay there again, I would prefer to miss the cultural extravagance. Therefore, Grajal de Campos with a supermacado and a couple of bars, sounded a very good alternative. Pity about the lack of accommodation. However, I will check-out your other suggestion - bearing in mind I have a train ticket booked for the journey Sahagun to Madrid.

[QUOTE="At six o`clock in the evening the lady in charge of the albergue asked us to meet her at the church, in order to pay and have our credentials stamped. This meeting then turned into a tour of the church, conducted in Spanish and lasted for over an hour. .[/QUOTE]

I stayed at Santervas last year and had the albergue to myself. The couple who run the adjacent shop/bar seemed to be in charge of the albergue - they gave me the key, cooked me an evening meal and could not have been more hospitable. There was no mention of a visit to the church.

If you have time before your train leaves, the Convento de San Francisco on the LHS just as you enter Sahagun is well worth a visit. It has been restored and is one of the few that is open.

I got to Santervas too early in the day to stop. There was a very fully equipped little store, and the albergue looked quite nice. If I remember right, it's in a new building, but I did not go inside. The church is beautiful, I would love to have visited the inside -- how great that the hospitalera gives a tour. (But I'm sure attendance is not mandatory, so I don't think anyone should feel obliged to go). Santervas is also the birthplace of Juan Ponce de Leon, whom you may remember from high school history classes. All in all, not a bad stop for a one horse town, IMO. But staying in Grajal de Campos would have been special, though I'm not sure I'd like to repeat Kinky's experience all alone in the former prison.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

@Rebekah Scott, do you have any update about the accommodation situation in Granjal? I will be walking through in around seven weeks. I wonder if Pilgrims are still allowed to stay in the Palacio?

For anyone who may be wondering about an update--We stayed here in May 2019. Albergue in the palace is beautiful! 12 beds and four or five individual bathrooms each with toilet, sink, and shower. Very clean and welcoming.

No reservations, but there is a number to call posted on the door for when you get into town. (I think it's the same as what is listed in a previous post.) They are renovating parts of the palace, but you can walk around and look. (Just use common sense and don't go where they are working.)

There is a restaurant/bar around the corner. Food is really good. Beer is cold. Coffee is hot. 😊

Seriously, a must do. A really cool town with nice people. (Most welcome after our long haul from Villalón de Campos.)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everybody, Which is the best way by foot : Uclès to Madrid or Madrid to Uclès (in july !)? And where find informations about accomodation ? Thank you

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.