• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Irun

Jilksy

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
Portugues 2013
du Puy 2014
du Puy 2015
del Norte 2016
Frances 2018
Portugues 2019
Hi all,

Starting the Camino del Norte in three weeks. Flying to Biarritz on a Sunday afternoon, then have to make my way down by bus/train, which looks a bit sporadic. Prob won't arrive in Irun until 8pm ish. Anyone know if I'm likely to get a bed in the donativo, or if I'm better off booking accom in advance? Also, if I can't stay in the albergue donativo, is there anything stopping me going and getting a credencial off of them so that I can get an early start on the Monday morning?

Cheers, Alison.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all,

Starting the Camino del Norte in three weeks. Flying to Biarritz on a Sunday afternoon, then have to make my way down by bus/train, which looks a bit sporadic. Prob won't arrive in Irun until 8pm ish. Anyone know if I'm likely to get a bed in the donativo, or if I'm better off booking accom in advance? Also, if I can't stay in the albergue donativo, is there anything stopping me going and getting a credencial off of them so that I can get an early start on the Monday morning?

Cheers, Alison.

Hi Alison, I can’t answer your question, sorry! But my suggestion would be to book a bed in advance. Flights get delayed . . . . you miss the bus and have to wait an hour for the next one . . . . If you have a bed booked in advance you can pitch up at any time. I ALWAYS do this. It gives me peace of mind about where I am going on the first night in a foreign country out of my comfort zone. Also, if my pack is checked in, and it’s not on the plane with me, I have an address of where I am staying to give to the airline when the pack eventually (hopefully) arrives. You still have time to get a credential from Ivar on this forum :) The albergue may have run out of credentials when you are there :mad: Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
thanks both. I have in the past always booked accommodation, but wanted to try and make use of the albergue if possible this time. I will see if anyone can give me some info on how busy it is. Thanks, Alison.

I flew to Biarritz on Bastille day two years. There was very limited public transport to Irun. As a result I did not get to the Albergue until about 9 p.m. They could not have been nicer and I think I got the second last bed in the overflow room (garage).

However for peace of mind I'd probably book somewhere in advance. I'm also sure you could drop in and get your credencial, without staying.

Buen Camino!

Hi Alison
I've done this a couple of times in the last few years, but generally on a Saturday. I just checked Sunday times. You should get in 17.00 at Biarritz? And unless you are very unlucky you'll be early as Ryanair tend to extend their arrival time so they claim a higher percentage of on-time arrivals. You'll be out of the tiny airport in 10 minutes. It looks as if the Ligne C Sunday bus times aren't working for you as there's one at 16.27 and the next at 17.51. http://www.chronoplus.eu/ftp/FR_lignes/LC-ete-2016.pdf I suggest you grab a taxi, which cost me €10 for the short ride to the station last time. There's a train next Sunday at 17.47 from Biarritz (and another at 19.00 and one at 19.47) that takes just under half an hour to Hendaye. From there it'll take you about 35 mins to walk to the albergue (crossing by the old bridge then up to town) or else jump on the metro (Donostialdea) that's just across the road from the exit of Biarritz station and go 2 stops to Irun Colon from where the albergue is a 5-10 minute walk (turn right out the metro, over the railway bridge and pick up the yellow arrows immediately going right and down the hill). So I reckon you'll be casually signing in at the albergue well before 7pm!
Cheers, tom
PS and I have picked up credencial there without staying (though I wish I had)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Based on my experience, I am afraid that the donativo alberge at the end of July at the time of your arrival might be full, although they have that overflow room that can have some beds still available. In case it is full as well, you can get a credencial from them and head for the private albergue, "Captain Tximista" aka "Goikoerrota" which is about 3-4 km further along the Camino, but it is rather expensive as for an albergue - 19 euro for a bunkbed, with breakfast included. In July, you have enough daylight to get there by foot, if you wanted to take a walk there following the yellow arrows.

There is an inexpensive way to get from the Biarritz airport to Irun, take the Express bus 816 at 17:43 from outside of the Biarritz terminal directly to Irun Timetable here. Make sure you take the 816 express, not "standard" because the latter one will take you only as far as Hendaye, from where you still need to get the metro - see the post above. The ticket for 816 bus is very cheap, not 100% sure, but it may cost just 2 euros from the airport to Irun.

Buen Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much to you all. Im actually on an easyjet flight which gets in at 4pm. It would be worth waiting for that direct bus though it looks great. I tried to find something like that but couldn't. Brilliant. I think I will book a room just to be on the safe side. Many thanks again.

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.