• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Leon

Di Burger

Time of past OR future Camino
2012 Leon- Santiago; 2013 Le Puy- Cahors
2015 St Jean- Burgos; 2017 Porto- Santiago 2019 San Salva
My husband and I are doing the San Salvadore Route. I would like a recommendation on an albergue to stay in, in Leon and - will we get our first cello at the albergue or should we go to the cathedral for this first stamp. Any tips on this route we are attempting?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My husband and I are doing the San Salvadore Route. I would like a recommendation on an albergue to stay in, in Leon and - will we get our first cello at the albergue or should we go to the cathedral for this first stamp. Any tips on this route we are attempting?

The alburgue -- or most any lodging -- will have a sello to stamp your credencial. It would be cool to do it at the Cathedral, although you get it done in the Museum and not in the Cathedral proper.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I like the Hostel Urban Rio Cea, Calle Legión VII, 6. 2º Izquierda, 24003 León, Spain

It is about 2 years old in an old building just off the main street up to the Cathedral.
Thank you!

I don't know your budget but the Parador in Leon is amazing .If you cant stay just shot in for a look its well worth it.

I don't know your budget but the Parador in Leon is amazing .If you cant stay just shot in for a look its well worth it.

The Parador was closed for renovation when I was in Leon last October, so it would be worth checking to see if it has been re-opened.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Di Burger Why not get a stamp from both places?? You will want to get the special credential for the San Salvador, only available at the Albergue de Peregrinos Las Carbajalas, south of the cathedral. It is 3 Euro. I included a link for you to have a look at this huge albergue, south of the cathedral and essentially along the French Way, before it heads north to the cathedral. The credential is very nice, and you can see photos of it on my web page, on the San Salvador. There is a lot more information on this page as well, as you want to get the special document in Oviedo to certify your accomplishment, called the Salvadorana. We did not actually stay in the giant albergue, but wanted to be closer to the start of the San Salvador, near the Parador, in a hotel called the Hotel Quindos. We didn't want to add a bunch of km to start the day, since the 1st day is plenty long enough! Have a wonderful trip. and if I can answer any more questions, let me know!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hostal San Martin. Not a pilgrim Albergue but offers lovely Hostal accommodation at a reasonable price. Very central. Restaurants all around and close to the cathedral.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
@Di Burger Why not get a stamp from both places?? You will want to get the special credential for the San Salvador, only available at the Albergue de Peregrinos Las Carbajalas, south of the cathedral. It is 3 Euro. I included a link for you to have a look at this huge albergue, south of the cathedral and essentially along the French Way, before it heads north to the cathedral. The credential is very nice, and you can see photos of it on my web page, on the San Salvador. There is a lot more information on this page as well, as you want to get the special document in Oviedo to certify your accomplishment, called the Salvadorana. We did not actually stay in the giant albergue, but wanted to be closer to the start of the San Salvador, near the Parador, in a hotel called the Hotel Quindos. We didn't want to add a bunch of km to start the day, since the 1st day is plenty long enough! Have a wonderful trip. and if I can answer any more questions, let me know!
This is indeed very helpful for me, as I plan/hope to walk a hybrid route of the Frances/Salvador/Primitvo in the next Holy Year of 2021. Cheers

This is indeed very helpful for me, as I plan/hope to walk a hybrid route of the Frances/Salvador/Primitvo in the next Holy Year of 2021. Cheer

You can even get a stamp at the tourist office next to the cathedral. I believe they will even sell you a credential as well.

@RJM We walked in Sept 2018 and the tourist office in Leon said they no longer carried the credential and sent us off to the Albergue Las Carbajalas! As far as I know, this is now the only place to get the San Salvador credential. But who knows? The Camino is a fluid thing, isn't it??

Last edited:
You can also get a passport at the Municipal Albergue; Albergue del Convento de las Carbajalas. It is on the Camino. It is a donativo or it is like 5 Eruos or so with breakfast. Don't remember. I believe you can also reserve private rooms. The Albergue is very large and men and women sleep in separate rooms. They serve a small breakfast. I stayed there many years ago.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you walking the San Salvadore right now ? How is the weather ?

Twin room in Leon Hostel was about 35eu in late May 2016. Close to cathedral. Not a pilgrim accommodation but a restful start after a 6 time zone time change plus bus ride from Madrid airport. They also had 4-6 bed dorms for around 12eu per bed. I think their web is in an earlier post #16.

The Nun's Hostel (Albergue del Monastario des las Benedictinas - Santa Maria de Carbajal) in Leon is where I stayed. It is a hostel in a convent. Barebones. Nothing fancy. Only about 5euro. You can join the nuns for vespers in the evening. You can pick up your credential or just get a stamp at this location. However, they do separate men and women, so if you're with your hubby you may not want to stay here...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Globetrotter Hostel is not an albergue, but only a 1/2 block from the cathedral.:D:cool:
We stayed at the Globetrotter in 2017. It had just opened and was amazing! Real beds with sheets and fluffy towels!! Even blankets. Each bed is in it's own little cubicle with a curtain. A lovely treat after many nights of traditional albergues.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Nun's Hostel (Albergue del Monastario des las Benedictinas - Santa Maria de Carbajal) as suggested by Jenny is also where I stayed, the evening vespers and the Pilgrims mass made a lovely start to the camino. I bought my credencial for the Salvador there, and also met two Italians who became my walking pals for the route there. There is a very pleasant plaza outside to sit in and enjoy a glass of something convivial. I wrote up my trip on the Salvador, with a few tips at the end, here is a link to it.

We stayed at the Globetrotter in 2017. It had just opened and was amazing! Real beds with sheets and fluffy towels!! Even blankets. Each bed is in it's own little cubicle with a curtain. A lovely treat after many nights of traditional albergues.
Wow! That looks like a really nice hostel!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I stayed in a great alberbue called Carbajales in Plaza Santa Maria. Benedictines with vespers and pilgrim blessing. I highly recommend it. I hope to do San Salvador inSept. When are you going?
I need someone to go with.

I am looking for this special Camino San Salvador credential. If some kind pilgrim or person living in León has the time to send me two with Correos, I will be SO thankful! I will off course pay for everything... Please let me know if you can help...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am looking for this special Camino San Salvador credential. If some kind pilgrim or person living in León has the time to send me two with Correos, I will be SO thankful! I will off course pay for everything... Please let me know if you can help...
As this thread is about albergues, may I suggest that you start a new thread with your request? It will be easier for people to find your request. And is there a reason you need them mailed?

Do you know how far this hostel is from the train station and the start of the San Salvador?
Hi jkk,
According to google, it’s about 17 minutes walking. The Salvador splits from the Francés in front of the (closed for renovations) parador of San Marcos.

And btw, the official camino is along the road for the first 8 or 9 kms, but there is an easy to follow riverside path used by many local residents which avoids the asphalt. Buen camino!

Attachments

• 51B97468-558A-4AF7-B33F-9E3DFA52124B.png
    51B97468-558A-4AF7-B33F-9E3DFA52124B.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
Hi jkk,
According to google, it’s about 17 minutes walking. The Salvador splits from the Francés in front of the (closed for renovations) parador of San Marcos.

And btw, the official camino is along the road for the first 8 or 9 kms, but there is an easy to follow riverside path used by many local residents which avoids the asphalt. Buen camino!
Thanks. I am starting on September 26. I will be traveling alone and will be a bit jet-lagged. Since I am 4 years older than on my first camino (68) , I am looking for the best of all worlds for my first night back in Spain.
That includes an inexpensive private room before I start staying in albergues, and close proximity to the train station, the start of the camino, and easy access to a store where I can buy hiking poles. Any and all recommendations are welcome.

Hi JKK, My son and I stayed at Hostel Don Suerto before our Salvador this May. Very near San Marcos and the start of the Camino Salvador in the morning . Short walk to the main drag.

Hostal Don Suero is 1 km from the train station, and then .4 km from San Marcos where the trail starts. I've attached a google maps shot, it looks very easy.

And here are the GPS tracks for the river walk, from León to Carbajal. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...lla-del-bernesga-camino-del-salvador-36215366

Though even I, with all of my directional confusion, found my way along the river without mishap and without a GPS. :)

Closest outdoor store seems to be Deportes Córdoba. Very close to the train station and more or less on the way to the Hostal. Not sure what time you will be arriving, though. It's on Calle San Agustín 13. https://www.facebook.com/deportescordobaleon

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-08-28 13.51.48.png
    Screenshot 2019-08-28 13.51.48.png
    900.4 KB · Views: 10
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hostal Don Suero is 1 km from the train station, and then .4 km from San Marcos where the trail starts. I've attached a google maps shot, it looks very easy.

And here are the GPS tracks for the river walk, from León to Carbajal. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trai...lla-del-bernesga-camino-del-salvador-36215366

Though even I, with all of my directional confusion, found my way along the river without mishap and without a GPS. :)

Closest outdoor store seems to be Deportes Córdoba. Very close to the train station and more or less on the way to the Hostal. Not sure what time you will be arriving, though. It's on Calle San Agustín 13. https://www.facebook.com/deportescordobaleon
Thanks for the suggestions. I followed the advice here and made a reservation at Hostel Don Suero. I am always nervous about the traveling to the start and the first night. After that I am always fine.

Hi JKK, My son and I stayed at Hostel Don Suerto before our Salvador this May. Very near San Marcos and the start of the Camino Salvador in the morning . Short walk to the main drag.
Thanks you for this information :) I just booked it for my first night in Leon. Can't beat the price and close to the start of the Primitivo after The San Salvador 🙃 :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hello All! I was hoping to do the combined San Salvador/Primitivo in July/August. Is it correct that there still are no transport services available for the S.S.?? I was really counting on having...
Hi! I saw that you wrote about the San Salvador awhile back. I’ll be walking that stretch in June and then onto the Primitivo for the second time. My Altra trail runners did fine on the Primitivo...
According to this article, sent to me by a friend in Oviedo, the old train station in Pola de Gordón will be turned into an albergue, at a cost of more than € 500,000. Lodging for pilgrims isn’t...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back