• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Maneru NOT shut down (2014) for good as it looks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I agree, I stayed there early April this year.

The hosts are very welcoming, place is clean, the food was good, and the wine from the local coop was excellent.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
If you end up in Puente de la Reine and feel you can walk a little more...stay at the Albergue in Maneru. It's small, clean and cheap but the best part is the meal at dinner. The best tortilla in Spain..and the guy who runs the place is a gentle lovely soul.

Sent from my iPhone using Camino de Santiago Forum
I can confirm that. Stayed there last year and it was one of our nicest experiences.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, all, for this! I had a wonderful breakfast in Maneru last fall, and thought I might like to stay there this fall. So it's on the list of possibles - a place to think about, but always letting the Camino select!

I can confirm that. Stayed there last year and it was one of our nicest experiences.

I am VERY interested in staying in Maneru this time. Do you recall the name Of the Albergue as there are 2-3 in that town?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
For those not reading the thread: The Albergue still exists. It was just me misinterpreting the (missing) signs ;-)
Here the original post:
Coming from Pamplona yesterday, I decided to stretch it a bit and walk until Maneru ... just to find that all the Signs were taken down and the door has been repainted in brown colour instead of blue. It loks like El Canteri has been closed for good :-(
Quite annoying as I then had to walk on and find the Albergue in the next town closed and one further from there there was no bed left.

Last edited:
Coming from Pamplona yesterday, I decided to stretch it a bit and walk until Maneru ... just to find that all the Signs were taken down and the door has been repainted in brown colour instead of blue. It loks like El Canteri has been closed for good :-(
Quite annoying as I then had to walk on and find the Albergue in the next town closed and one further from there there was no bed left.

That happened to my son and I as well, with regard to not finding lodging at an albergue in Maneru (or any lodging, period). Everything was full to Estella. We ended up taking a taxi there for the night, and then taxied back the next morning to pick back up where we left off.

According to Gronze El Cantero does not open until Holy Week. Still a few days away. Possible that they just have not opened for the season yet?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That happened to my son and I as well, with regard to not finding lodging at an albergue in Maneru (or any lodging, period). Everything was full to Estella. We ended up taking a taxi there for the night, and then taxied back the next morning to pick back up where we left off.
Exactly what I did. Got a taxi from Lorca to Estella, next morning back to Lorca.
Together with my extensive Pamplona sightseeing, the day yesterday added up to 45 km which was way more than planned and than good for my feet that early on the way ;-)

According to Gronze El Cantero does not open until Holy Week. Still a few days away. Possible that they just have not opened for the season yet?
But would they take down all the signs at the entrance (unscrewing, un mounting), remove all blue albergue Colour from the door? There was literally no trace left. Looked like an ordinary private townhouse.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello. As peregrina2000 said, El Cantero was opening today; at least that's what the hospis told me yesterday! I've just asked them and will let you know later what they answer me.

And about Arctic_Alex's question, yes, they do actually unscrew the signs during the off-season to put them back when they open. Some albergues do that, believe it or not :)

Warning: This Albergue does not exist anymore!
They have taken down all the signs from the wall, repainted the door in brown. We tried to call them anyhow and could hear the phone ring inside. But no one was there. That was yesterday.
Hello Arctic_Alex. That is not true. El Cantero is not shut down for good! Albergue Lurgorri on the other hand, did close already last year or the year before for good. Are you sure you are not mixing them up?

El Cantero was supposed to open today for the season; I am trying to find out if they actually did, or maybe had to delay the opening for some reason; I'll post as soon as I find out. Thank you!

Confirmed: they openend today. That's why there was no sign of the place being open yesterday, when you passed by.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Confirmed: it is open; they opened today for the 2019 season.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you end up in Puente de la Reine and feel you can walk a little more...stay at the Albergue in Maneru. It's small, clean and cheap but the best part is the meal at dinner. The best tortilla in Spain..and the guy who runs the place is a gentle lovely soul.
Hola @Leaniamath,
really great to know about these small village albergues. Another I can recommend is Casa Magica in Villatuerta (great for those who stop before Puente La Reina).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My mistake but it’s currently closed

That's correct: they haven't opened yet THIS year; not sure if they will open or not eventually in 2021 at all. If I find out that they open I'll let you know in this thread. For the moment it's closed and no signs for a short term opening...

My mistake but it’s currently closed
Do you refer to the albergue El Cantero in Mañeru (thread title) or to the albergue Casa Mágica in Villatuerta (mentioned in the post just above your comments)?

In any case, both are currently closed.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back