• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Manzanares

peregrina2000

Staff member
If you're reading Alipilgrim's blog, you know she was in Manzanares yesterday (Day 2 on the Camino de Madrid). She mentioned a new albergue in the town, in the Ermita de Pena Sacra, an old church up on a (very steep) hill about two kms outside of the town center. Alipilgrim eventually decided to stay in town, but I wonder if anyone has any experience there.

I didn't even know it existed, and based on my google search, it's been open since February or March. In one online comment, a peregrino complained that he had walked up to the albergue only to have the priest tell him that the albergue was occupied for the weekend by a youth retreat. The poster wondered whether this was a legitimate thing for the parish to do, given that a lot of government funds were spent to refurbish it. Here are some of the articles about the opening and a description of the albergue:

http://periodistas-es.info/aqui-madrid/ ... en-madrid/

http://www.nuevaguia.net/2011/94/cultura_tc.html

And here is the comment of the disgruntled peregrino: http://www.demadridalcamino.org/2011/04 ... ena-sacra/ If you read Spanish, you can see that the albergue was "pre-booked" for Semana Santa, too, according to one of the comments.

I wonder if anyone on this forum has any experience here -- I am going to give it a try anyway, plan to arrive Wed. May 18, and I'll report back.

Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Laurie,

I left Mazanares this morning, surprised to see a pilgrim pull out ahead of me just as I exited town! Another passed me later in the day (he was a weekend pilgrim from Madrid, heading back there this afternoon from Cercedilla). Anyway, the latter stayed at the new Refugio, said it was very nice, it had a kitchen, and he was the only one there. That was all the info I got - neither of us spoke the same language!

Today was a holiday in the Madrid province so tons of bikers, walkers and bikers out on the trail...

Cheers, alipilgim

Most read last week in this forum

Hello I am in the planning phase of the Camino de Madrid. Hoping to start walking in late May. The Confraternity of James' guidebook in out of print and no longer available, so I have been basing...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.