• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Melide

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
This was by far the worst albergue on the camino in 2007.
The building smelled musty and damp. Windows were black with damp gunge. Showers and basins were thick with algae and stains and the kitchen was a health hazzard! There were numerous complaints.
This video shows that the albergue has been cleaned up - even curtains on the windows!
Its amazing what a difference chargin 3 euro can make to the owners capability to keep the place clean.

It had been cleaned up in time for mid-2008 when we were there Sil. I had noted your bad experience there, and was very hesitant about even checking the place out, but it had obviously been thoroughly cleaned. The worst problem was an older man who felt able to get up incredibly early and make a huge amount of noise for hours!!! We were woken by him, and crept out, had time for breakfast etc, and left before sunrise. And he was still there making noise for the others who were trying to pretend to be still asleep. :shock:
Margaret

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The worst problem was an older man who felt able to get up incredibly early and make a huge amount of noise for hours!!! We were woken by him, and crept out, had time for breakfast etc, and left before sunrise. And he was still there making noise for the others who were trying to pretend to be still asleep.
If we are lucky, he has moved on by now. Otherwise, Melide has a REAL problem besides the extensive mold (which may have been cleaned up).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have never walked and am in the process of gathering information... Did you eat breakfast in the albergue, or just outside somewhere? How much did it cost you?
Gracias

KiwiNomad06 said:
It had been cleaned up in time for mid-2008 when we were there Sil. I had noted your bad experience there, and was very hesitant about even checking the place out, but it had obviously been thoroughly cleaned. The worst problem was an older man who felt able to get up incredibly early and make a huge amount of noise for hours!!! We were woken by him, and crept out, had time for breakfast etc, and left before sunrise. And he was still there making noise for the others who were trying to pretend to be still asleep. :shock:
Margaret

Albergues in Spain don't usually provide breakfast. Either you can buy something yourself at a local shop the day before, or you can stop at a bar after a few kilometres. Most people seem to take the second option I think, and don't eat a lot for breakfast.
Margaret

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I stayed in the Melide albergue in 2008 when I walked the Primitivo. It had been totally cleaned up and also gave out disposable paper-like sheets and pillow cases. That was also the case in Arzua. I wonder if all municipal albergues in Galicia now use the paper sheet system -- and I also wonder how effective the sheets are at keeping out those little critters.

The disposable sheets and pillow cases do not keep out any insects, but they do reduce body and hair oil accumulations on the mattresses and pillows.

Yes indeed !
The Melide refugio is the worst along the Camino.
It stank as if I was standing in an open sewer.
I quickly moved on and found rooms above a bar for just 10 Euro.
Very clean and I had a bathroom to myself.
Also I had an amazing menu pelegrino there.
Buen Camino !

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back