• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

albergue in Ocebreiro

bpondugula

Good evening everybody

I just saw on TV Galicia (on satellite in the Netherlands), the new / modernised albergue in Ocebreiro. Last March, they were still busy completing it. It looks beautiful , spik and span.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Still a construction site in June

I stayed there in June and it was still not finished. We slept in construction site metal cabins. The toilets/showers were in a separate metal cabin. There was lots of noise from a jackhammer most of the afternoon.

There was no charge for the accomodation when I stayed.

It was raining and not very comfortable, so I suggested in an earlier post (a few weeks ago) that pilgrims stop at La Faba instead.

Regards

Bob M

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I heard it was loud and busy and a place to avoid! La Faba, 5k down the hill is rather nice, if not a little basic.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wish I could figure out how to embed a photo here. I have a great shot of the O'Cebrero Atco site cabins.

Can anyone tell me how to include a pic in a post? I've seen it done ages ago (shots of boots in that case), so presumably it is possible. Maybe you need to upload from a website with the "URL" thingy - not from a computer.

Regards

Bob M

bpondugula said:
Good evening everybody

I just saw on TV Galicia (on satellite in the Netherlands), the new / modernised albergue in Ocebreiro. Last March, they were still busy completing it. It looks beautiful , spik and span.

The albergue where I stayed in O'Cebreiro in Nov 2005 was large, heated, clean, quite modern. As I recall it was slightly beyond the village and perhaps slightly higher than it. Am I to understand that it was demolished for a newer one or was it perhaps just renovated? As I vaguely recall, I would not think it would require the cash outlay for either of the possibilities.

I do remember using the pay phone booth just outside the building the evening I was there. I also remember it was quite cold and was snowing slightly with a wet mixture of snow and sleet, and the hot fire warming the bar just down the hill from the albergue was particularly welcome.

I don't think I would have changed any of it.

BobM said:
Maybe you need to upload from a website with the "URL" thingy - not from a computer.

You are right Bob, you must use a URL to get the image embedded in your text. Failing this, if you have a good image to share, send it to the photo album and tell us you did so, we'll run to have a look at it.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thx to Ulysse re the tip on photos. I will give that a go.

Regards

Bob M

John Hussey said:
The albergue where I stayed in O'Cebreiro in Nov 2005 was large, heated, clean, quite modern. As I recall it was slightly beyond the village and perhaps slightly higher than it. Am I to understand that it was demolished for a newer one or was it perhaps just renovated?

The building shell is still there as John says, but all the inside has been torn down - at least that is what appears to be happening by looking in.

The renovations seem to be on quite a grand scale. Beats me why - unless the data shows lots of people are saying there. Lots of tourists go to the village by bus etc. I will try to post a pic.

Lots of people arriving after 3 pm had no place to stay anywhere in the village, but were not allowed to sleep on the floor of the building shell.

Regards
Bob M

Ruitelan - 7 km short of O,Cebreir

I stayed in Ruitelan earlier this year. It is around 7 km short of O,Cebreiro. It was run by a fantastic guy named Carlos (click this link for a picture of Carlos at his albergue. He is on the left, me on the right. http://www.imagestation.com/8639097/3906024116 . (Aafter 8 February 2008 - use this link instead http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welc ... zVq2cN2Lkw ) I think it cost just 5 Euros for a bed. We had dinner and breakfast there. The food was the best of any albergue I stayed in and the welcome very warm. We were well fed, rested and ready the next day's steep climb up to O'Cebreiro. I recommend it as an alternative.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What's the latest?

Has anyone stayed at O Cebreiro albergue recently? I had planned on staying at the hostel at the end of August but perhaps I should schedule a stop somewhere else instead.

Another option is to stay at La Faba between Ruitelan and O'Cebreiro. It is a small refuge in a very beautiful setting. The German society folks who run it are lovely, and it is a overall a great place to stay. There is a small village nearby which serves an evening meal.

I'm with Donovan. It's also easier dealing with the climb at the start of the day, rather than the end. There's a nice garden to chill out in, too.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.