• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Poladura gets some TLC

peregrina2000

Staff member
Though I’ve walked the Salvador three times I have never stayed in the albergue in Poladura. I have stayed in Posada del Embrujo right across the way, though. :p

This article describes the work of a bunch of young volunteers to improve/restore the albergue there, so it looks like things are on an upward trajectory there!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Honestly, I thought that the albergue in Poladura was just fine! There were only three of us staying there the night that I was there though.
While it was no where near as nice as the albergue in La Robla, I thought that it was clean, and comfortable enough, though at that time there was a problem in the kitchen with a water leak, so we had to be careful. I appreciated being the only woman and having the women's bathroom all to myself. 😊

If you want to stay at a rather "rough" albergue, may I recommend Clara Campoamor albergue in Requejada on the Norte. The only albergue that I have stayed in with ONE group shower stall for both sexes! And yet, I have fond memories of the place.

This is really nice news! I stayed here back in 2016 and thought it was just fine, too... though I was the only one there, so having total reign over the place adds a different element!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The albergue in Poladura underwent renovations in March 2016. As is the case with many things on the Salvador, we can thank @Ender for that!

Before that, there were some renovations in the early 2010s. I first walked the Salvador in 2008 and I don’t even think there was hot water then, but I didn’t stay there. So there have been continual improvements over the years, for which I know many pilgrims are grateful.

Though I’ve walked the Salvador three times I have never stayed in the albergue in Poladura. I have stayed in Posada del Embrujo right across the way, though. :p

This article describes the work of a bunch of young volunteers to improve/restore the albergue there, so it looks like things are on an upward trajectory there!

This is great news. I stayed there in April 2013 and nothing seemed to work well. It had a ten gallon water heater and fuses kept blowing. I got lucky finding the fuse box which was downstairs in the dark. It has been in my bottom three of Albergues.

I am still hopeful of walking this route later this year. Thank you Ender.

They seem to have a very tight little community in Poladura. When we were there, they were getting ready for a fiesta (which happened the day after we left, to our enormous relief, it was very noisy). Here are some of the locals sprucing the place up a bit in preparation. The albergue is upstairs over the community centre and was fine, but looked like it takes a lot of use. It was also full. Posada does good food.P1000330.JPG

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Honestly, I thought that the albergue in Poladura was just fine! There were only three of us staying there the night that I was there though.
While it was no where near as nice as the albergue in La Robla, I thought that it was clean, and comfortable enough, though at that time there was a problem in the kitchen with a water leak, so we had to be careful. I appreciated being the only woman and having the women's bathroom all to myself. 😊

If you want to stay at a rather "rough" albergue, may I recommend Clara Campoamor albergue in Requejada on the Norte. The only albergue that I have stayed in with ONE group shower stall for both sexes! And yet, I have fond memories of the place.
And the bar over the road serves huge meals

Starting Salvador myself on Friday arrive Santander Wednesday then on to primitivo, getting a bit anxious as doing it on my own and only done st Jean to Pamplona reasonably fit but afraid and anxious of what’s ahead even though I should be ok hoping to meet some pilgrims of what

Starting Salvador myself on Friday arrive Santander Wednesday then on to primitivo, getting a bit anxious as doing it on my own and only done st Jean to Pamplona reasonably fit but afraid and anxious of what’s ahead even though I should be ok hoping to meet some pilgrims of what
Hi, Rural1,

(and I think you mean — arrive Oviedo Wednesday, and not “arrive Santander Wednesday” or else you are going to be doing some super speed walking. )

Welcome to the forum. I think most of us have anxiety and nerves before starting on a camino, no matter how many we walk, but I hope you can calm your fears before you set out. The route is well marked, goes through some pretty little villages, has some glorious mountain stretches (along with some inevitable asphalt slogs around Mieres and into Oviedo), and some really pretty scenery through valleys. And if you enjoy ancient architecture, do not miss the short ascent up to the pre-romanesque, 9th century Santa Cristina de Lena, a few kms after Campomanes. It is just gorgeous.

August is a popular month for Spaniards on the Primitivo, at least it used to be before covid, so I don’t know what the numbers will be like for you. Do you have any reservations? There has been trouble in the early stages with workers filling up some pensiones, but since you are starting on a Friday you will probably miss that. Sandra’s albergue in Bendueños is very special, but many find that its location is a bit awkward for staging, but if you are going to take 5 or 6 days on the Salvador, it may suit you quite well!).

Enjoy, the Primitivo/Salvador is a great combination! Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Rural1,

(and I think you mean — arrive Oviedo Wednesday, and not “arrive Santander Wednesday” or else you are going to be doing some super speed walking. )

Welcome to the forum. I think most of us have anxiety and nerves before starting on a camino, no matter how many we walk, but I hope you can calm your fears before you set out. The route is well marked, goes through some pretty little villages, has some glorious mountain stretches (along with some inevitable asphalt slogs around Mieres and into Oviedo), and some really pretty scenery through valleys. And if you enjoy ancient architecture, do not miss the short ascent up to the pre-romanesque, 9th century Santa Cristina de Lena, a few kms after Campomanes. It is just gorgeous.

August is a popular month for Spaniards on the Primitivo, at least it used to be before covid, so I don’t know what the numbers will be like for you. Do you have any reservations? There has been trouble in the early stages with workers filling up some pensiones, but since you are starting on a Friday you will probably miss that. Sandra’s albergue in Bendueños is very special, but many find that its location is a bit awkward for staging, but if you are going to take 5 or 6 days on the Salvador, it may suit you quite well!).

Enjoy, the Primitivo/Salvador is a great combination! Buen camino, Laurie
Hi peregrina2000,
Thanks for reply sorry I meant to say fly into Santander on Wednesday, thanks for info I have all my stages reserved contacted sandra she said she wasn’t open the day I pass and now in albergue cascoxu, yeah looking forward hope one or two English speakers will be on it if not google translate😁 thanks again for info

I also liked Poladura. It was freezing cold (snowing), and there was no heating, but I enjoyed the company (just 3 of us). 10 April 2018 from the dorm window in the morning:435PoladuraDeLaTercia2.jpg

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.