• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in St.Jean Pied de Port / in 30 days to Santiago

sallysue

Hello to everybody on this forum and anyone that would be kind enough to help a 1st time pilgrim! :)
I must say that I love this forum. I've been preparing for the last 6 months for the Camino and as time of my pilgrimage is coming closer, I decided to register here and ask some final questions on which I could not find an answer while browsing through all the available info.
I start walking from St.Jean Pied de Port, and I came across a problem...for which I hope it isn't really a problem :D
the thing is that I will be traveling all together for two days to get to my starting point and I cant get to St.Jean before 22.00, as my train schedule is quite set.
Now I'm worrying that I won't be able to sleep anywhere! most of the albergues open in late march or april, I'll be there on 18th of March and I really have problems finding a place to stay... :shock:
If anyone could share with me any contacts of open albergues that would let me in after 10pm on Sunday, I would be really grateful as I know I'll be exhausted and in a need of a good sleep before I start walking the next morning.
Also, I don't really have a plan for walking, as I find a lot of information on the web-although very helpful- very confusing too. It seems that everyone has it's own plan of what one wants to see, but I could not find a schedule for 30 days anywhere. Mostly people walk more or less, or start on a different place than I, so I would be really grateful if someone would maybe share with me the plan to walk from St.Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in 29 or 30 days. It can be 28 too... I was thinking of walking 25km per day, but I don't want to miss the best cities, albergues or other sightseeings just because I couldn't find all the info...

Anyone? Please? :oops:

Thank you for the advice!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No problem, just contact one before you come, explain your travel plans and you should have no problem-- L’ESPRIT du CHEMIN by far the best is notopen until 1 April.

***The Pilgrims office in SJPD often lacks the credencial you need due to the many many pilgrims, it is possible to get by without, get your sellos in a diary etc, until say Pamplona but do try to secure your credencial before arrival!!!***

30 days straight walking can just be done, no rest days, not much sightseeing, lots of huff and puff, and should there be blister-back-ankle-knee opposition to your plan it will be bus/train time!

- REFUGE MUNICIPAL /ASS LES AMIS DE LA VIEILLE NAVARRE :
55 Rue de la Citadelle ; 32 places . Ouvert toute l’année. Pas de réservation
Renseignements au 39 Rue de la Citadelle F 64 220 Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port

Courriel : caminopa@hotmail.com

- L’ESPRIT du CHEMIN Humberta et Arno (anciens pélerins) :
40 Rue de la Citadelle TĂ©l 05 59 37 24 68
hubertarno@espritduchemin.org site : http://www.espritduchemin.org

- AU CHANT DU COQ
36 Rue de la Citadelle TĂ©l : 06 74 31 02 83
krisinanian@wanadoo.fr Résa. Possible . Accepte vélos et chiens

- AUBERGE DU PELERIN
25, Rue de la Citadelle TĂ©l : 05 59 49 10 86 contact@aubergedupelerin.com http://www.aubergedupelerin.com

- REFUGE ULTREIA Bernard et Françoise (anciens pèlerins)
8 Rue de la Citadelle Tél. 06 80 88 46 22 - 05 59 49 11 72 Résa .possible. cuisine équipée
dodo.ultreia@gmailm.com http://www.ultreia 64 .fr

- LE CHEMIN VERS L’ÉTOILE Chez Eric (Ancien pèlerin)
21, Rue d’Espagne, Tél : 05 59 37 20 71 et 06 14 06 92 77
gite@bonhomme.net ou eric.viotte@gmail.com

- ACCUEIL PAROISSIAL « KASERNA »
43, Rue d’Espagne Tél. : 06 28 72 22 86 - 05 59 37 65 17
Repas et Pet.dej. : libre participation aux frais Priorité aux pèlerins à pied

- REFUGE « ZUHARPETA »
Rue Zuharpeta 14 pl. TĂ©l. 05 59 37 35 88 ou 06 21 30 03 05
Repas et résa. possibles gitezuharpeta@laposte.net

- REFUGE « ESPONDA «
9, Rue du Trinquet TĂ©l. 06 07 27 57 85 RĂ©sa et cuisine possibles.
jeanmarie.mailharo@wanadoo.fr

Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sallysue,

30 days are perfectly doable.
I did it in 31 days, but decided to have two very short stages: the first one, Saint Jean to Orisson, and the last one, Monte do Gozo to Santiago. In between all from +- 18 to 33 km.
If I were you, I'd rather not try to fix a schedule in advance. Let things come along.
Enjoy. Walk.
Just make sure to be on the "lightweight" side... On my first camino, I was relatively fit and my back was about 7kg + water. From the very beginning, I had no problems... Last year, less fit, and with a back of about 11kg without water, I advanced quite slowly - especially during the first 10 days...

Buen camino!

HELLO Sallysue. I can't help with the accomodation in SJDP but if you google hotels in the city at least you might be able to get one of those if the Albergue is not open. With to regards to your 30 days, I hope you have a map to follow. If not go to http://www.eroski.com It is a website for a food store but it will give you information on this Camino regarding where accomodation is, including Albergues, and the distances between. It might be in spanish but you will be able to translate the site into your own language.
The key is to stop where you can find a bed obviously. If you do plan and carry out 25K a day you should make your destination on time. When I walked I had a map and would plan my next few days each night making necessary adjustments to my plan. I walked in 38 days and averaged 22K a day.
There are places you will want to stay and if you rush you might miss out on some lovely places. Just remember, if you have to make up time, you can take transport except during the last 100K (if you want to get your Compestella). Many of us on the forum would recommend that you do not rush this wonderful trip, take time to smell Spring in Spain.

Blessings on your way

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi sallysue

The best way to get to the Eroski site is albergues/guia del camino de santiago/eroski consumer This will take you to the site you want. If you are using google chrome and have 'translation' switched on it will automatically translate for you. There is a huge amount of information on each albergue, prices, opening times, no of rooms etc. There are also comments from people who have used them, many only a few days old. Hope this is of help to you

Buen Camino

Ron

Thank you very much for the website with the plan of the stages- it's really helpful!
but I must say, I got pretty nervous now with planning of my first night in St. Jean...
most of the albergues listed above, which I found even before while searching for all the available accommodations, did not calm me down, as all of them which have a website, say that they open on 30th of March, which is too late for me...
for others...i do not know even how to find them there, as there is no website given with the advice. Far most...i do not even know if they are open at that time and what is the price...
which one is the municipal one? I just want to get into the cheapest one possible, just that I get a bed and that they let me in after 10pm and I'm perfectly happy! :D
I also google-maped st.jean and I got a bit puzzled by a distance...I arrive with a train- is there anyone that also came with a train? how did you get into the town? taxi? or it's the walking distance?
I'm so sorry for bringing up so many questions, but now, when I have a little more than one week time I just got really nervous...before I was so calm about all that,thought that I have it all figured out, but now I just got a bit stressed out as I realized I have no idea what I'm getting myself into. I dont even know where I'm going to sleep the first night. And that really scares me...im such a chicken.

trumpy said:
Hi sallysue

The best way to get to the Eroski site is albergues/guia del camino de santiago/eroski consumer This will take you to the site you want. If you are using google chrome and have 'translation' switched on it will automatically translate for you. There is a huge amount of information on each albergue, prices, opening times, no of rooms etc. There are also comments from people who have used them, many only a few days old. Hope this is of help to you

Buen Camino

Ron

thank you so much! I found this one: http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/alb ... il-pelerin
it says that is open through whole year, so I hope I found what I was looking for. I already sent them an email and I hope they will respond :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is a short walk from the train station to the main part of SJPdP. Look at a Google map, and print it for use on your arrival. The pilgrim office usually is open until after the train arrives, so walk there for help on accommodations. The municipal gite probably has space; it is pretty much next to the Pilgrim Office. If the office is closed, just go to the gite. Knock on the door if necessary. There will be a pilgrim inside that will open the door if it is locked.

Hotels and the chambre d'hote will stay open for your arrival, so you might want to reserve one. Put it on that Google map you printed, so you can find it in the dark.

Have fun!

hi

this is the first time I have heard that getting a credencial at SJPP might be a problem (posting a couple of days back by scruffy1).
how likely is this to be a problem? Im starting from SJPP on 26 April - will there be so many pilgrims that this is likely?
can someone tell me what is the next place that you can get a credencial issued?
thanks very much
karen

This is a b&b in SJPP that was recommended to me on this site. Tim has been very helpful to me with questions, I think he is a forum member. I am staying first a couple nights in SJPP as I wanted some time to see it before I leave. You can make a reservation in advance.

http://www.errecaldia.com/

Regarding difficulty getting a pilgrim passport in SJPP - is this true? I had not thought of that. Should I try to get one in advance? I will be in San Sebastian before SJPP, maybe I should try to get one there?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Karen,
I hadn't heard of anyone not getting a credencial at SJPP, but they had lots of the Spanish ones at the Pilgrim Office in Roncesvalles. In the unlikely event you can't get one at SJPP, maybe you could ask them to stamp a piece of paper that you could later attach to your credencial?
Margaret

karennz2012 said:
hi

this is the first time I have heard that getting a credencial at SJPP might be a problem (posting a couple of days back by scruffy1).
how likely is this to be a problem? Im starting from SJPP on 26 April - will there be so many pilgrims that this is likely?
can someone tell me what is the next place that you can get a credencial issued?
thanks very much
karen

Try emailing Danièle at l’Auberge du Pèlerin contact@aubergedupelerin.com She is one nice lady and the owner. If she can help you I'm sure she will. Her place is very clean and her food is very good. Let her know your arrival time. Her web address is http://www.aubergedupelerin.com/fr/l-au ... --t10.html Its on one of the previous posts above. Let her know about your crendencial concern or just pick one up in Roncesvalles. Buen Camino!

Sallysue,

This is an obvious alternative which will not suit all, and may not suit you, but it's worth a mention. One can always walk out of, say, Saint-Jean, and just walk and be a pilgrim. If you feel up to walking, walk. If you want to linger, do so. Since you are not being paid to do either, and no one is depending on you to do either, then it probably does not matter. When the time comes to go home, you go home. If you have not reached Santiago then...you haven't reached it! On my next camino I don't think I'll reach Santiago. On the one after that, I probably will. I hope to reach Muxia one day, but maybe I won't.

This attitude, as I know from experience, is not shared by the majority and may not chime with you. But it's how I feel and what I do all the time, so I'm mentioning it. Most people want to "get on with it" and I imagine that my approach would be a torment to them. However, I never want to "get on with it" and yet I've been so happy with my two caminos that I can't wait for the third.

Just a thought, just in case

Buen Camino

Rob

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Rob -
Although I am not sure that I will be able to adopt your attitude for my first Camino in spring of 2013, I have copied your comments into my Camino journal.
Thanks for the reminder that "the journey is the destination."
I often have trouble remembering that it is the experience of the pilgrimage I am seeking, not the accomplishment of a certain distance covered.

I am in total agreement with Rob. I did my first camino from Porto to Santiago, and once there, not that i had rushed in coming, i couldnt wait to get out, so the next day i found myself on the train to Burgos to walk some more...

i will be quite happy walking the camino for the rest of my lift and never seeing santiago again...

this year I plan on starting in SJPDP and seeing how far app 3 weeks will get me...

KiwiNomad06 said:
Karen,
I hadn't heard of anyone not getting a credencial at SJPP, but they had lots of the Spanish ones at the Pilgrim Office in Roncesvalles. In the unlikely event you can't get one at SJPP, maybe you could ask them to stamp a piece of paper that you could later attach to your credencial?
Margaret

karennz2012 said:
hi

thanks very much
karen

You might want to look for the Camino Association for your country and order your credential from them. This way, you will already have in hand when you arrive and not have to worry. I ordered my first one from the Confraternity of St. James (UK) in 2005, and then my second from the US Pilgrims Association in 2010. I'll do the same for this summer. Maybe if the are ones available (never heard otherwise) in SJPdP, I will use that one instead. If you scroll down some weeks, you will find a thread with numerous listings for various countries.

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Simeon

thanks for your reply but unfortunately we do not have a camino association in NZ, at lleast not one that I know of.

thanks for the advice kiwinomad - I will do that. I just hate to think of not having cellos from my departure point.

karen

So! I got some information. For all in doubt- you write an email to this address caminopa@hotmail.com, so that they know you're coming. This is the pilgrim office and they wait for the last train to arrive to SJPP. Then you get all of the info. about the way, weather, etc. and they offer you bed + breakfast too, for 8 eur total.
There is no problem with getting pilgrim passport, they told me I get it there.
This is what they answered when I contacted them. I think it's really nice to give you such a welcome. I'll see how it goes next week :)
thank you all for kind replies! helped me a lot!

Sallysue,
I'm sure if you can let go, and just let the Camino happen, you will have a grand time.
I budgeted 35 days and went SJPP to Santiago in 28 days. I had no objective, I just walked when I felt like walking(and sometimes walked when I didn't feel like walking) In the beginning, when someone asked me where I was going, I answered the town that was my destination for the day. Later on, my somewhat cheeky answer became "West. I am going West" and that said it all.

I stayed in Santiago for 2 days because I met so many Camino Friends as they arrived at the Cathedral. I didn't feel finished so I walked out to Finisterre.

I would encourage you to lengthen your stay in Spain to 35 days so that you have plenty of time if you want a day off to sight see, rest, or carry on to Finisterre (highly recommended). It will also give your time if you average only 23 or 25 kms/per day. I feel quite sad for pilgrims that feel rushed and must take the bus over some stages. For me, the bus ruins what the camino is all about.

Think about all the good advice here, and then just do what you want.
This is your Camino, Make it your Camino.

Buen Camino,
David, Victoria, Canada.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello to everybody on this forum and anyone that would be kind enough to help a 1st time pilgrim! :)
I must say that I love this forum. I've been preparing for the last 6 months for the Camino and as time of my pilgrimage is coming closer, I decided to register here and ask some final questions on which I could not find an answer while browsing through all the available info.
I start walking from St.Jean Pied de Port, and I came across a problem...for which I hope it isn't really a problem :D
the thing is that I will be traveling all together for two days to get to my starting point and I cant get to St.Jean before 22.00, as my train schedule is quite set.
Now I'm worrying that I won't be able to sleep anywhere! most of the albergues open in late march or april, I'll be there on 18th of March and I really have problems finding a place to stay... :shock:
If anyone could share with me any contacts of open albergues that would let me in after 10pm on Sunday, I would be really grateful as I know I'll be exhausted and in a need of a good sleep before I start walking the next morning.
Also, I don't really have a plan for walking, as I find a lot of information on the web-although very helpful- very confusing too. It seems that everyone has it's own plan of what one wants to see, but I could not find a schedule for 30 days anywhere. Mostly people walk more or less, or start on a different place than I, so I would be really grateful if someone would maybe share with me the plan to walk from St.Jean Pied de Port to Santiago in 29 or 30 days. It can be 28 too... I was thinking of walking 25km per day, but I don't want to miss the best cities, albergues or other sightseeings just because I couldn't find all the info...

Don't forget that they have absolutely wonderful croissants, bread and cheeses there - you will need to carry some supplies including water. I thought there was a starting turnstile, but you just start walking - UP! Margaret Wilson

Sallysue, welcome to the forum.

Do not rushed into santiago on your camino. 30 days is doable, but you will miss not seeing anything. Dospend an extra day in pamplona, burgos and leon. And you will want to spend an extra day or two when you arrive in santiago. Parting with all the fellow peregrinos you met on your camino and saying goodbye is the hardest thing you will encountered in this wonderful experience. It will be very emotional. Many peregrinos slow down their walks on the last few stages knowing that they will be parting at the end of the camino.

Buen camino and god bless.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Don't forget that they have absolutely wonderful croissants, bread and cheeses there - you will need to carry some supplies including water. I thought there was a starting turnstile, but you just start walking - UP! Margaret Wilson
?What? No turnstile? No one has to go back to town for dimes (Blazing Saddles)? Well well well. Rock Ridge here I come!

I am currently on the Camino, having started two weeks ago yesterday.y son and I stayed at the Beilari in SJPDP. I would not stay there again. I met another couple on the Camino who were at the Beilari at the same time and they feel the same way.
It has recently changed ownership and perhaps the new owner is thriving off the previous owner's hard work? I am not sure.
Anyway, I was disappointed. Caveat Emptor.

I am currently on the Camino, having started two weeks ago yesterday.y son and I stayed at the Beilari in SJPDP. I would not stay there again. I met another couple on the Camino who were at the Beilari at the same time and they feel the same way.
It has recently changed ownership and perhaps the new owner is thriving off the previous owner's hard work? I am not sure.
Anyway, I was disappointed. Caveat Emptor.
Sorry to hear that. I've heard good things about the place even after the change of ownership. Just goes to show that people's experiences can be very different. My very least favorite place to stay (Tosantos) has been considered one of the very best experiences by many MANY people.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back