• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in St Jean Pied de Port

LynnSwan5

Time of past OR future Camino
Future
I was planning on arriving on 25th May and then finding place to stay but as it’s getting closer am wondering if I should book somewhere - anyone recommend an albergue? And have idea of need to book? Or can book?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Lynn. OK, you are referring to St Jean Pied de Port I'm guessing? (EDIT: title of thread has now been adjusted so that this is clear!)
As you'll have seen on this forum we've had quite a few reports back recently that it's busy out there.
I think that something in your favour is that you are arriving/starting mid-week and it has tended to be less busy then than around the weekends.
Have a look at Gronze and you'll see there are a lot of places in St Jean and some of them are even on booking.com - so even if you don't book any, you could have a trawl through them and see how many still have vacancies.
Another important factor will be your arrival time - so if you are arriving in the middle of the day or early afternoon you probably have a pretty good chance of getting into the municipal albergue just by showing up. If you're arriving there on the last train at night, obviously the walk-in options will have significantly reduced by then!

Last edited:
If you go to the Pilgrim office when you arrive, they will also usually help you find a place to stay if you don't have a reservation. Beilari is a popular place and a great first night with a shared dinner and breakfast. You do need to see if they have an opening. https://www.beilari.info/en/home/

Many other good places, but I can personally recommend Beilari

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Well, if you look at booking.com - a lot of the albergues are no longer being listed with having dorm beds available. There are still 4 showing that they have dorm beds. There are more accommodations - but they will be more than the $20-23 USD prices. So - if you want to guarantee a bed in an albergue dorm bed - I would book now. They all have decent reviews. There are other places that are not on booking.com - and you can go to gronze.com to get their information - if you want to look at them. J Willhaus mentioned Beilari - looks like they still have at least 1 bed for May 25 so that is a great option (unfortunately they were full for my dates!) Anyhow - many people love Beilari.

Otherwise - if you want to just show up - the municipal does not take reservations and the pilgrims office will help you find a bed.

I personally recommend reserving SJPDP to either Zubiri or Pamplona so you can walk a comfortable pace and not race for a bed those first couple of days.

If you go to the Pilgrim office when you arrive, they will also usually help you find a place to stay if you don't have a reservation. Beilari is a popular place and a great first night with a shared dinner and breakfast. You do need to see if they have an opening. https://www.beilari.info/en/home/

Absolutely, beilari (and the host Josef) are worth it, that is my choice for next time too

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You will have missed the big surge that happens during the first two weeks of May and so you should be fine.

I see that you are coming from the UK and so it probably won't be a long journey to get there but if it is for some reason or you are going to arrive late then by all means reserve that first night so that you can settle in without too much stress.

You have chosen a great time to start and I think that you will have a great Camino.

Buen Camino!

I was planning on arriving on 25th May and then finding place to stay but as it’s getting closer am wondering if I should book somewhere - anyone recommend an albergue? And have idea of need to book? Or can book?
I highly recommend Beilari, run by Joseph. It is a very special place to start the Camino. Great vegetarian meal/ communal dinner.

I recommend in St Pied de Portz Gite Makila thats where I stayed, I highly urge you to make a reservation; the place is right next to the pilgrim office.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Lynn. OK, you are referring to St Jean Pied de Port I'm guessing? (EDIT: title of thread has now been adjusted so that this is clear!)
As you'll have seen on this forum we've had quite a few reports back recently that it's busy out there.
I think that something in your favour is that you are arriving/starting mid-week and it has tended to be less busy then than around the weekends.
Have a look at Gronze and you'll see there are a lot of places in St Jean and some of them are even on booking.com - so even if you don't book any, you could have a trawl through them and see how many still have vacancies.
Another important factor will be your arrival time - so if you are arriving in the middle of the day or early afternoon you probably have a pretty good chance of getting into the municipal albergue just by showing up. If you're arriving there on the last train at night, obviously the walk-in options will have significantly reduced by then!
Thanks ☺️ my flight arrives at Biarit
If Beilari has an opening. Book i!!
booked ☺️ Thanks

You will have missed the big surge that happens during the first two weeks of May and so you should be fine.

I see that you are coming from the UK and so it probably won't be a long journey to get there but if it is for some reason or you are going to arrive late then by all means reserve that first night so that you can settle in without too much stress.

You have chosen a great time to start and I think that you will have a great Camino.

Buen Camino!
Thank you 🙏☺️

Thanks 😊 I’m arriving around lunch time so should have plenty of time to find somewhere - I have sent request to book the albergue recommended further down - feeling the Camino support already 🙏

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I highly recommend Beilari, run by Joseph. It is a very special place to start the Camino. Great vegetarian meal/ communal dinner.
Thanks 🙏 that will be perfect 👍 I am vegan 🌱 and hoping to remain so through out my walk but vegetarian is definitely a great place to start

Buen Camino!
Thank you ☺️

Thanks 🙏 I have sent reservation request and waiting for response. It was green that day on the calendar 🤞

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back