• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Tapia de Casariego privatised?

Antonius Vaessen

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
This year I will walk on the Camino del norte again. Last year when I was staying in the beautiful situated albergue in Tapia some folk were carrying all kinds of stuff into the albergue. When I asked what they were doing a man said they were taking over (the management of) the albergue. On gronze I read that the albergue would be privatised in mid 2018. Does anybody know if this is true and if the new albergue indeed still is an albergue?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I didn't stay there but it is definitely still an albergue. However I have heard it is no longer the special place it was. Unfriendly and not so clean. This is 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge so do your own research. But I've heard enough to not plan any stays there. Although the location is amazing!

I didn't stay there but it is definitely still an albergue. However I have heard it is no longer the special place it was. Unfriendly and not so clean. This is 2nd or 3rd hand knowledge so do your own research. But I've heard enough to not plan any stays there. Although the location is amazing!
When I was there in July the hospitalero was so enthusiastic! It seemed like he was new there.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As far as I understand it's still owned by the Ayuntamiento, but under private management since mid-2018. It can only be better than when I was there a couple of years ago - it was really run down, filthy dirty and no sign of any hospitaleros anywhere (the door was just left open). Judging from the photos on Gronze there are new beds, washing facilities, etc, which is great to hear. One of the more memorable albergues on the Norte, because of its incredible location. So I'm glad it's been given a bit of TLC.

I visited it when walking past in 2010, the German group I was with had a friend staying there so we went into to have a chat. The place was dark and unlooked after+ anyone could wander in and out( us). They have made the right move getting someone to look after it privately, if ithe arrangement is anything similar to the albergue in Pajares on the San Salvador then it can only be good.

I passed by it last September and went in and had a good look. I definitely would have stayed if it hadn't been too early in the day for me to stop. Has to have one of the best views of any albergue on any Camino. There were four people there cleaning and looked to be getting things ready for people to start checking in later. Nice town as well, beautiful area.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is all good to hear. Glad to know it's changing for the better.

This indeed sounds as if things have been improved. When I stayed there in may, it was dark inside, the albergue was not well attended to. In two months from now I will be staying there again

As I know it, there is a general tendency to give the management of municipal albergues to private companies, in public bids. It is a good and sizable business -the Xunta de Galicia has 69 albergues. A fun footnote is that some years ago the winner was a company owned by Mr Florentino Pérez, the President of Real Madrid. I don't know it Barcelona fans avoided these albergues, as a matter of principle...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
As I mentioned above the hospitalero was very enthusiastic, and also eager to promote the albergue. As I was walking through Luarca he recognized me as a pilgrim and approached me to show me pictures of the albergue and the gorgeous view in order to sell me on staying there. I told him that I had already planned on it, but he just continued his spiel. 😄
BTW here is the view there 52676

This indeed sounds as if things have been improved. When I stayed there in may, it was dark inside, the albergue was not well attended to. In two months from now I will be staying there again
How was this albergue when you returned?

I did not stay there. I saw no signs of improvement, at least at first glance. It Iis is still very dark due to the lack of windows. I looked inside, but that was not inviting

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.