Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in the fancy hotel in Tineo

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have just been looking through online resources to see about ways to "mix things up" for what I hope will be my third Salvador/Primitivo this summer.

I see that the fancy hotel in Tineo (which is where I think @annakappa and @fraluchi spent some time recovering from an illness) has an albergue.

Has anyone stayed there? http://www.alberguepalaciodemeras.com/#reservas
It's a **** star hotel with 10 € albergue rooms.

I have stayed in the municipal albergue in Tineo, which was fine, but my one regret was that it was far from the town center so I really didn't get a chance to see a lot of what seemed to me to be a very pleasant place.

buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We stayed in the Pension Bar Tineo. Even if you stay elsewhere we can really recommend the owner's associated cafe-bar which is a short distance further along the main road after the Camino leaves it.

I heard back from one pilgrim who stayed there. These were her brief, but positive, remarks: "It has 54 beds, is 10 euros and has luxury accommodations - marble bathrooms, steam and sauna rooms. Real sheets!"

Sounds pretty good!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I heard back from one pilgrim who stayed there. These were her brief, but positive, remarks: "It has 54 beds, is 10 euros and has luxury accommodations - marble bathrooms, steam and sauna rooms. Real sheets!"

Sounds pretty good!

Yes, but the sheets are 2 € extra. :)

I wonder if I can wear my hiking clothes into the sauna.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
clothes in the sauna, now thats what i call a relaxing way to kill the bedbugs :)

I met a Finnish pilgrim who took one look at this place and left! He felt it was a bit over the top......

I walked through Tineo as it was only midday.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It's beautiful. A mix of modern while still respectful of the age/history of the building. I stayed at Mater Christie but met up with others at the hotel in the morning and took a bit of a tour. The albergue is in the basement to your left when you come in. Doors are frosted glass, stainless steel door handles, etc., dark stained hardwood floors. And I hear breakfast is excellent as well.

I have just been looking through online resources to see about ways to "mix things up" for what I hope will be my third Salvador/Primitivo this summer.

I see that the fancy hotel in Tineo (which is where I think @annakappa and @fraluchi spent some time recovering from an illness) has an albergue.

Has anyone stayed there? http://www.alberguepalaciodemeras.com/#reservas
It's a **** star hotel with 10 € albergue rooms.

I have stayed in the municipal albergue in Tineo, which was fine, but my one regret was that it was far from the town center so I really didn't get a chance to see a lot of what seemed to me to be a very pleasant place.

buen camino, Laurie
Looks a nice, rather posh place, Laurie. But it wasn't where we stayed, which was almost opposite the Albergue, in other words, at the edge of the town.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No wonder I keep going back to Spain! We can't get accommodation in the cheapest pub in Australia for under about 40 euros (equivalent).
Too right, Kanga!
Folk ask me why I go to Spain, and don't walk the pilgrimage routes in England.
Quite apart from the sunshine, an en-suite single room in Spain may cost as little as 22 Euros [£16]. The equivalent in England - if I could find them - would be nearer 60 Euros [£45].
And what about the wine ... and menus-del-dia ... and other pilgrims ....
I'll stick to Spain :) ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the info Laurie. I'm now really looking forward to Tineo on this year's walk. After 10 weeks I might just go for getting my bed made for me as well!

Too right, Kanga!
Folk ask me why I go to Spain, and don't walk the pilgrimage routes in England.
Quite apart from the sunshine, an en-suite single room in Spain may cost as little as 22 Euros [£16]. The equivalent in England - if I could find them - would be nearer 60 Euros [£45].
And what about the wine ... and menus-del-dia ... and other pilgrims ....
I'll stick to Spain :) ...
And it is great food that we can eat happily with no nasty additives!!

Thanks for the info Laurie. I'm now really looking forward to Tineo on this year's walk. After 10 weeks I might just go for getting my bed made for me as well!

Ok, Al, you don't have to rub it in. I can't imagine ever having the luxury of a 12-14 week walk like you are planning from Almería (I think), but I know that good pilgrims are not envious so I can take it in stride. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I can't remember your dates, what is the time frame when you will be wandering around Asturias on the Primitivo?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pfff.....The more i read about the primitivo, the more i want to walk it. I also blame the video that @Kiwi-family posted not so long ago (if im right).

North and turn left at Oviedo might be a good idea.

Sorry Laurie it was unintentional. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the information you provided and thanks to you I am really looking forward to that stop! BTW, yes it will be from Almeria on May 3rd. I have a friend who but lives in Gijon but works in Tineo . So one way or another I might just have quite a good time there. I am hoping to spend a weekend with them in Gijon before starting the Primitivo from Villvisiosa on the 5th of July. (I think it is a stupid thing to even think that I could be so accurate about dates by that point but they are a lovely family and I really love to see them. So I have set myself a 24k average to try to be there for that weekend). I know I have read when you are going to be around somewhere but I'm afraid I cannot remember when. Please remind me.
PS anyone else here around then?

@Al the optimist and @peregrina2000 I'm in dreaming mode - awaiting the birth of daughter's twins in late (we hope) March - but after things settle down thinking the Primitivo is a possibility this year. Too much uncertainty to consider I have "plans", but I'm enjoying the thought.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hope all goes well Kanga. So two virtual Sherpas to lighten your load. Something else to say thanks for when you get to Saint J again. Who knows we may yet cross paths!

Sorry Laurie it was unintentional. I just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the information you provided and thanks to you I am really looking forward to that stop! BTW, yes it will be from Almeria on May 3rd. I have a friend who but lives in Gijon but works in Tineo . So one way or another I might just have quite a good time there. I am hoping to spend a weekend with them in Gijon before starting the Primitivo from Villvisiosa on the 5th of July. (I think it is a stupid thing to even think that I could be so accurate about dates by that point but they are a lovely family and I really love to see them. So I have set myself a 24k average to try to be there for that weekend). I know I have read when you are going to be around somewhere but I'm afraid I cannot remember when. Please remind me.
PS anyone else here around then?

Hi, Al, no crossing paths for us this year, unfortunately.
I'm leaving from Riumar at the mouth of the Ebro on May 18. I fly out of Santiago on July 7. I'll be in Oviedo on June 15 come hell or high water, and will start the Salvador after that. So that puts me in Tineo somewhere around the end of June. But maybe one of us will bump into Kanga along the way!

And it is great food that we can eat happily with no nasty additives!!
Well if it only be that simple... Even in Spain (or most rural EU areas) you don't really know where those ingredients you get on your table come from... Same here in Slovenia some farmers/sellers buying "eco/bio/whatever" vegetables & fruits on markets in Italy. Those caming from overseas, Spain, south of Italy etc, but they sell them as their own products. Money makes the world..........

Sorry if I shattered some of your dreams ;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am talking about actual additives, not how they are grown and the proof is in the fact that we are not made ill by the bread, ham etc. We realise that some packeted food has additives and a few types of food too but we know what to avoid, eg square shapes Jamon York. So you are quite right, but most things are full of additives here in the UK and not so in Spain. :)

Well this post has really gone off track but I just wanted t say that I did stay in the Palacio in Tineo and it was great - amazingly comfortable beds and barely even half full in the middle of July - they gave me a twin room all to myself with my own shower and I certainly didn't moan about paying an extra €2 for the bedding as it was worth it, proper duvet and so comfortable and the added bonus of being right in town - I met some people that had gone initially to the municipal but apparently they weren't very friendly so they stayed there also, we had a really good meal in the restaurant for €10 and fabulous breakfast too - highly recommend it, I don't think the Camino should have to be a trial, if there are comfortable places why not take advantage of them - I didn't use the sauna but all the bathroom area was brand new and exceptionally clean

To all the praises about this hotel albuerge I can only add the friendliness of all the hotel staff and especially the restaurant one. I spend there one night last April and I was one of the two guests in this 54 beds facility :) I also didn't use the sauna but showers were absolutelly great, just what I needed. Very nice, clean, almost luxiorious for 10 euros. They do also a laundry service (for additional fee of course, but it's reasonable)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back