• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Villatuerta

LauraL

Time of past OR future Camino
French (starting late July)
Hi all,
I'm doing my first Camino, loving the experience so far. I thought I should post about my accidental discovery: I wanted to book the Casa Magica albergue at Villatuerta. I did a Google search, clicked on the top result, and booked.
Then I realised it wasn't Casa Magica, but Etxeurdina - oops! I went back to Google to compare the two, and found out that Casa Magica is closed. Etxeurdina only opened last year and had amazing reviews.
I spent last night there, and it proved to be a gem. The host is super friendly and helpful, and goes out of his way to be of service. The facilities are comfortable, modern and clean, and breakfast is included.
I just wanted to recommend this place because it's very new and not many people have heard about it.
It's also a good location to stop, and an alternative to Estella. In fact, you don't even need to go to Estella at all... I will explain this in a separate thread.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very sad to hear about Casa Magica closing, though not surprised: I stayed there in May this year and was one of only three pilgrims there (each of us had an entire room - with six beds to choose from in each! - to ourselves). The hosts were friendly and gracious, and the pilgrim meal that evening was one of the best I had on my whole Camino: lentil soup, cod-stuffed peppers, and homemade flan for dessert. All around a wonderful experience, but I remember wondering at the time how tenable a business model it could have been.

In any case, I enjoyed staying in Villatuerta, and was able to get to Estella the next morning just in time to meet some friends for a wonderful breakfast at NamasTé Cafe (highly recommended). Etxeurdina sounds great and I will keep it in mind for my next Camino. Thanks for sharing!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was lucky enough to have found out about Casa Magica back in May 2016 and reserved a bed. It was a busy time then as every bed was taken. It, too, offered one of the best pilgrim dinners that I had on that Camino. In 2019, we went all the way to Estella where we enjoyed an evening in town, some good food, and met some fellow pilgrims we have since enjoyed staying in contact with. Things do certainly change along the Camino. Sometimes, it’s a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Both the Casa Magica and Estella bring back great memories from past Caminos.

I wanted to book the Casa Magica albergue at Villatuerta. I did a Google search, clicked on the top result, and booked.
Then I realised it wasn't Casa Magica, but Etxeurdina
For those who haven’t heard of Gronze.com, it’s probably the most up to date list of albergues and other accommodations. Their Villatuerta list of places has already removed Casa Mágica and added Exteurdina. The 8 reviews of Exeurdina are all positive and date back a year, so it looks like they are going strong.

Glad you are loving your Camino!

Hi all,
I'm doing my first Camino, loving the experience so far. I thought I should post about my accidental discovery: I wanted to book the Casa Magica albergue at Villatuerta. I did a Google search, clicked on the top result, and booked.
Then I realised it wasn't Casa Magica, but Etxeurdina - oops! I went back to Google to compare the two, and found out that Casa Magica is closed. Etxeurdina only opened last year and had amazing reviews.
I spent last night there, and it proved to be a gem. The host is super friendly and helpful, and goes out of his way to be of service. The facilities are comfortable, modern and clean, and breakfast is included.
I just wanted to recommend this place because it's very new and not many people have heard about it.
It's also a good location to stop, and an alternative to Estella. In fact, you don't even need to go to Estella at all... I will explain this in a separate thread.
I've heard, that Casa Magica was closed, too, and that it had been empty for some time. But I've also heard, that it had new owners. But it was closed, when I visited it in April, but it may have been due to siesta. Anyway, if you go to booking.com, they accept bookings for Casa Magica in Villatuerta. But you're right, it is a nice place, even though I seem to remember, the place had a bit of a down feeling to it, when I was there in 2018. The owners at that time knew, they were going away.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi all,
I too am glad you are enjoying your camino which I presume is your first. Great to have you pass along up to date information. In another post you asked about Logrono recommendations.
Check out Gronze.com
It has maps with distances and elevations, a list of albergues with lots of information regarding the albergues, and reviews. There are apps also like wise pilgrim and buen camino.
When it comes to picking out an albergue I think Gronze can be a great help. Municipal, donativos and private albergues all are unique but the type of albergue will give you a general idea of what to expect. I am sure you are learning this firsthand now. When it comes to quiet or noisy, friendly hospitalero or not, street noise etc. Gronze can help alot here also. Many albergues have rotating hospitaleros, almost always warm and friendly but sometimes you run across one who may be having a nightmare of a day. You can sleep in the same albergue twice, once having a restful night with really nice pilgrims and the next time with rowdy people who walk in late at night, drunk and noisy without a bit of consideration. You get my point.
Take people's recommendations, look at Gronze, see the photos, look at what the albergue has to offer, and read the reviews. I would say in many albergues there is a preponderance of good reviews. Then go with your heart like you are doing with your pilgrimage. Pick a place that gives you a little tug. You are not staying in the 4 Seasons or a Parador, but you are most likely staying in an albergue or donativo which has more genuine love, heart and soul in the handle of the front door than those hotels have within their entire building.

I've heard, that Casa Magica was closed, too, and that it had been empty for some time. But I've also heard, that it had new owners. But it was closed, when I visited it in April, but it may have been due to siesta. Anyway, if you go to booking.com, they accept bookings for Casa Magica in Villatuerta. But you're right, it is a nice place, even though I seem to remember, the place had a bit of a down feeling to it, when I was there in 2018. The owners at that time knew, they were going away.
Jordi, who runs Etxeurdina, said Casa Magica changed hands a few times and the latest owners only had it open for 3 months. Apparently the place needs extensive renovations, as you have observed. Such a pity that they couldn't keep it going after building an excellent reputation.

Hi all,
Thank you for sharing. Very sorry to hear about Casa Magica closing. It was definitely one of my favourite albergues on the Camino Francés in May-June of this year. The hosts, a young couple, were very gracious and thoughtful. They prepared a delicious and generous communal meal for about a dozen of us. Probably the best albergue meal on my Camino. The two-storey albergue had single beds, with no bunk beds, which is always great. I’m sure the pandemic played a part in their closing, and perhaps also the fact that everyone heads to the typical “stages”. For the most part, I avoided the typical stage towns and stayed at locations in between. Made for a lovely experience and, I would venture to say, there was less stress finding availability in the albergues.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Just an FYI, Casa Mágica has had the same owner for many years, Miguel. He still is the owner but has been renting it out. It is currently on the market for sale or rent. It has actually been for sale for at least 6 years (I know as I had contact with him in 2016).

For those who haven’t heard of Gronze.com, it’s probably the most up to date list of albergues and other accommodations. Their Villatuerta list of places has already removed Casa Mágica and added Exteurdina. The 8 reviews of Exeurdina are all positive and date back a year, so it looks like they are going strong.
If it is alright, I will add wisepilgrim.com to this mention too as it is also very much up to date. Casa Mágica has had a strange history. As others have mentioned it has been operated by quite a few people over the last years, and regardless of who the owner is the situation has been anything but predictable. I added Exteurdina when it opened and they have been great to communicate with ever since.

I just saw this on the Camigas group on Facebook.

Screenshot_20220730-045913.png

Link to original post:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Good news for Villatuerta, Casa Magica has reopened.
Miguel is back, he ran it from 2008-2018.

Updated phone numbers here:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Happy news!
I stayed there in October 2010 and 2011. Loved it. Miguel was a great host.

Villatuerta albergue, interior .jpg

This rough pebble floored space is the entrance hall of their 300 years old farmhouse/albergue. In the past grapes for vino tinto were stamped/crushed on that floor...Good memories.

Last edited:

Is Simone there too?

We stayed there in 2009 and it was indeed a magical place.
Simone was so kind to my daughter, trying to find her some shoes to replace her own which had ‘gone home’.
I left some of my tiny bottles of essential oil blends with Miguel, to use in his massages.

(Pace, all you who are sensitive to/dislike essential oils 😉)

We had a lot of fun cooking our communal meal. 😄

Last edited:
Very sad to hear about Casa Magica closing, though not surprised: I stayed there in May this year and was one of only three pilgrims there (each of us had an entire room - with six beds to choose from in each! - to ourselves). The hosts were friendly and gracious, and the pilgrim meal that evening was one of the best I had on my whole Camino: lentil soup, cod-stuffed peppers, and homemade flan for dessert. All around a wonderful experience, but I remember wondering at the time how tenable a business model it could have been.

In any case, I enjoyed staying in Villatuerta, and was able to get to Estella the next morning just in time to meet some friends for a wonderful breakfast at NamasTé Cafe (highly recommended). Etxeurdina sounds great and I will keep it in mind for my next Camino. Thanks for sharing!

I don't think they are completely closed. I tried booking for this July, and Miguel told me that they close for July since there aren't many pilgrims coming through as a result of climate change.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back