Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue in Villavieja available — get your bid in!

peregrina2000

Staff member
The municipality of Priaranza del Bierzo (which includes the hamlet of Villavieja) has announced that it is seeking bids, looking to license the albergue to a private person for one year. 100€ a year.

You have until Feb. 9 to get your proposal in. :D

More information available by phone, 987-420-806 or email aytopriaranza@gmaijl.com

Here is a link to the official request for bids.

I did not read the announcement carefully (it is 20 pages long), but saw a couple of interesting tidbits. Maximum charge per night, 10€. Licensee pays all utilities. No restrictions on nationality. There is an explanation of how the bids will be evaluated and how many points will be allocated for a variety of features. (e.g., knowledge of foreign languages gets 0-15 points). I can’t find any indication whether the hospitalero is allowed to provide breakfast and dinner for a charge, but that would seem to be a pretty important part of this, since there is no place to eat or buy food in Villavieja. In one section the document says the hospitalero has to publish the prices of things served, so that suggests to me that meals are in fact expected to be served, but I don’t know. Looks like a pretty transparent process.

This would not be a big money-maker, but would certainly be a way for albergue-owner-hopefuls to test the waters. Lovely spot, short day from Ponferrada. Lots of beautiful walking in the area, especially the Valle del Silencio.

There have been at least 3 or 4 hospitaleros that I can remember, and I don’t think any has made it beyond the one year period. Maybe Holy Year and the Xunta’s burst of spending and publicity will help get this albergue up and running more profitably.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's a lovely old building, renovated to a very high standard of comfort in a beautiful location, but as you say, there are no services nearby. The nearest bar/tienda/restaurant is in Borreñes, 5km or so further on. I think you would certainly need to provide the option of dinner and breakfast to make a good go of it and perhaps a vending machine for alcohol. A short enough but beautiful stage from Ponferrada..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220123-164015_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-164015_Photos.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 70
  • Screenshot_20220123-164003_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220123-164003_Photos.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
It's a lovely old building, renovated to a very high standard of comfort in a beautiful location, but as you say, there are no services nearby. The nearest bar/tienda/restaurant is in Borreñes, 5km or so further on. I think you would certainly need to provide the option of dinner and breakfast to make a good go of it and perhaps a vending machine for alcohol. A short enough but beautiful stage from Ponferrada..
@Flog, did you meet the last hospitalera/licensee or had she already left? I remember she made a bit of a splash, saying she was going to be serving “New York coffee,” and meals. I wonder if anyone on the forum met her and has an idea why she left.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I stayed in early Sept last year, there was no hospi and I contacted the ayuntamiento for the keycode and instructions about payment. The kitchen was equipped for basic cooking, no fancy coffee machine or anything. Glancing through the guestbook, it hadn't been busy but the place was spotless and well kept..

So I take it the albergue is available if you call the ayunamento office in advance and make arrangements to get the keys? And maybe more than that if someone gets the contract this spring?

We are walking the Invierno this summer and are hoping to stay as its the perfect distance from Ponrerrada for us!

LizB

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back