A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Albergue in Villavieja

Camino Badges

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
Has anyone on the forum spent a night at the albergue municipal in Villavieja this year? I have read three posts in the Comentarios on Gronze referring to that albergue which all state that it is impossible to reach anyone to open the albergue by calling any of the posted numbers. These comments are from July and August of this year and there are no other comments about the albergue since 2018. I am beginning to wonder if it is currently in use, as apparently locals were saying that the new mayor could not be bothered opening it for pilgrims. I would appreciate it if you could pass on any further information.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Has anyone on the forum spent a night at the albergue municipal in Villavieja this year? I have read three posts in the Comentarios on Gronze referring to that albergue which all state that it is impossible to reach anyone to open the albergue by calling any of the posted numbers. These comments are from July and August of this year and there are no other comments about the albergue since 2018. I am beginning to wonder if it is currently in use, as apparently locals were saying that the new mayor could not be bothered opening it for pilgrims. I would appreciate it if you could pass on any further information.
Yes there was definitely one female member of the forum (I think in May or even April) that slept there but I just can't remember who that was. I vaguely remember that she was maybe even the first one at all to overnight there...

Theatregal

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
So far...
2012 ~ 2019
The albergue in Villavieja was still definitely in use a couple of months ago - the beginning of June. I had planned to stay there but had to change my plans due to a lost day because of luggage problems. I did talk with the man in charge of the albergue (both to reserve and to cancel). It was one of these numbers - +34 682-591-483 or +34 606-898-140
Sorry, I had both of these numbers for him but one of them he didn't answer. Can't remember which was which.

Last edited:

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015); Ch. d'Arles: Oloron Ste Marie to Aragones; Frances (2016); V.d.l.P.; Sanabres (2017)
Thanks for all replies. I am still unsure, as later (July-August) Comentarios on gronze indicate that lack of response to telephone calls is attributable to a new mayor who cannot be bothered to open the albergue to pilgrims. However, I shall call from Ponferrada the day before and won’t plan on staying there unless I get an affirmative response. Thanks again for replying.

Clarky19

Wandering & wondering
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Invierno 2019
Thanks for all replies. I am still unsure, as later (July-August) Comentarios on gronze indicate that lack of response to telephone calls is attributable to a new mayor who cannot be bothered to open the albergue to pilgrims. However, I shall call from Ponferrada the day before and won’t plan on staying there unless I get an affirmative response. Thanks again for replying.
Hi, I noticed there seems to be a different tel. number on the Villavieja Facebook site dated 5 July. Have you seen that one? Not sure if it's any help - 687-80-12-64: https://m.facebook.com/alberguedeVillavieja/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0

Clarky19

Wandering & wondering
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Invierno 2019

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)

Clarky19

Wandering & wondering
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Invierno 2019
Hi, I just managed to speak to someone at the Ayuntamiento in Villavieja who promised me that I could call just a couple of days before arriving there and the albergue would be open - that was for this September. Hope that helps. This is the number I used: ALBERGUE MUNICIPAL EN VILLAVIEJA: Llamar al Ayuntamiento. Tlf. 987 420 806

peregrina2000

Staff member
Just a quick clarification, not sure it really matters, but just in case. The ayuntamiento (town hall, municipal government) is actually in Priaranza del Bierzo, not in Villavieja. Villavieja is a little hamlet that is part of Priaranza’s munncipal government. I just add this in case someone gets to Villavieja and starts walking around looking for the town hall, because you won’t find one.

But this is very good news about the albergue being open!

Clarky19

Wandering & wondering
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Invierno 2019
Just a quick clarification, not sure it really matters, but just in case. The ayuntamiento (town hall, municipal government) is actually in Priaranza del Bierzo, not in Villavieja. Villavieja is a little hamlet that is part of Priaranza’s munncipal government. I just add this in case someone gets to Villavieja and starts walking around looking for the town hall, because you won’t find one.

But this is very good news about the albergue being open!
Thanks, hopefully on the next call some further instruction will be forthcoming!

Clarky19

Wandering & wondering
Camino(s) past & future
Camino de Invierno 2019
I'm not sure if this fits in this thread but the Albergue de Xagoaza can also be reached using WhatsApp if anyone finds it difficult/costly making calls. Very prompt replies.

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hi, I just managed to speak to someone at the Ayuntamiento in Villavieja who promised me that I could call just a couple of days before arriving there and the albergue would be open - that was for this September. Hope that helps. This is the number I used: ALBERGUE MUNICIPAL EN VILLAVIEJA: Llamar al Ayuntamiento. Tlf. 987 420 806
@Clarky19
This is a different number from both the numbers which I got from gronze, so I am even more confused. Where did you find this number?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I will hazard a guess that this confusion is connected to the municipal elections. Mayors and party affiliations may have changed as of June 15. I know this because on June 15 we walked into Puente Almuhey on the Olvidado and the owner of the great place we stayed told us that he had been replaced as mayor this morning.

The forum guide has different numbers, but those were put in before the municipal elections. Clarky has confirmation that the town hall is now the place to call.

BTW, this ayuntamiento is also in charge of the castle of Cornatel, so I wonder if more changes in operating hours will be forthcoming!

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I will hazard a guess that this confusion is connected to the municipal elections. Mayors and party affiliations may have changed as of June 15. I know this because on June 15 we walked into Puente Almuhey on the Olvidado and the owner of the great place we stayed told us that he had been replaced as mayor this morning.

The forum guide has different numbers, but those were put in before the municipal elections. Clarky has confirmation that the town hall is now the place to call.

BTW, this ayuntamiento is also in charge of the castle of Cornatel, so I wonder if more changes in operating hours will be forthcoming!
Thanks for clarification. This is pretty much what I suspected. Things seem to change rapidly on the Invierno, except when a new albergue is supposed to open. It is a challenge to keep up.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.6%