• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue just opened in Coimbra

peregrina2000

Staff member
This story says it opened a few days ago in the monastery of Santa Clara a Nova. 14 beds. That's one more albergue south of Porto, we're on a roll!

http://www.rtp.pt/noticias/index.php?article=722667&tm=4&layout=121&visual=49

I am pretty sure that this monastery is the one you come to right before you descend and cross the river into the central city, can some of our Portuguese experts tell me if I'm right or wrong about that?

Bom caminho, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laurie, Great News indeed. Am still 'plotting' possible accommodations for south of Oporto - and now I have to "research" one less ....
thanks so much for alerting us to this. especially thrilled that it is in a convent/monastero!
Obrigado!

I came across this house just before the monastery, perhaps it's another option? :cool:
Coimbra%20Doghouse.jpg

The monastery is on the south side of the city and a reasonable distance from most of the sights, but it would be great to stay there. I remember the monastery cloister as being a beautiful space.

This was my day into Coimbra:
http://totallyphil.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/coimbra.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery
With all this development of the Lisbon to Santiago route, probably I will first do a Home to Santiago Caminho, before I do the SJPP to Fisterre. I'm just waiting to have more time and money (since there aren't so many cheap alternatives until Porto).

Best Regards
Diogo

With all this development of the Lisbon to Santiago route, probably I will first do a Home to Santiago Caminho, before I do the SJPP to Fisterre. I'm just waiting to have more time and money (since there aren't so many cheap alternatives until Porto).

Best Regards
Diogo

Hi Diogo,

I was in Vila Real last year and saw a post with the Camino Shell on it (right downtown near the main square).
Is there a route in Portugal that passes through Vila Real ?

Hi Diogo,

I was in Vila Real last year and saw a post with the Camino Shell on it (right downtown near the main square).
Is there a route in Portugal that passes through Vila Real ?

Yeap, there is. @amsimoes knows a little bit more about that route. I think that it's a variation of Via de La Plata, that get's inside Portugal, via a detour.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Laurie, thanks so much for sharing this!
I am planning to start my Portuguese Camino in Coimbra very soon (sooooo, excited!) and your post was a great help! I just did some research and found out that this albergue also provides credentials for those who want to start their Way from Coimbra, like me :)

Thanks again,
Zsit

Writing from the new hostel...
Really feel so privileged to be able to stay at this venerable place...see fotos below.
The rooms are tightly packed, but all new, clean and mattresses seem in good shape. Kitchen and common area available as well.
The young man at reception, Gustavo, is most helpful and kind.
It is really great to have this available for pilgrims....
And...it is quite busy..three spaniards, three italians, three other women from various countries and myself..and it is only shortly past three o'clock.
There is a mega festival going on from the university...happens once a year for one week. Since the 1960's....
Not that ancient...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 25
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    932.2 KB · Views: 23
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    938.8 KB · Views: 26
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 23
It has been ages that i have slept in a room which walls were at least a yard thick....
Early in the morning everyone else has left, thus having the place to me own:)
At least until 8:30am...when the reception opened and the construction workers came back to continue their work...
(Apparently a second bathroom is constructed).
I can encourage everyone who visits coimbra, if they stay at the albergue para peregrini or not, to visit the church and the the little tour Gustavo offers...church, chapterhouse and courtyard. Really enjoyed it..and it will become apparent that Rainha Sta Isabel has strong connections to theCaminho . ...so, to me it was extra special staying at this place last night.
Some more photos below..
One shows the morning light image of entrances...and also the reception area...
Left Coimbra this morning...
Rather loud parties /activities are going on due to the students yearly event ...too boisterous for me right now...
Best wishes.
Claudia

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    576.8 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 16
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    929.9 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    896.8 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    585.9 KB · Views: 14
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It has been ages that i have slept in a room which walls were at least a yard thick....
Early in the morning everyone else has left, thus having the place to me own:)
At least until 8:30am...when the reception opened and the construction workers came back to continue their work...
(Apparently a second bathroom is constructed).
I can encourage everyone who visits coimbra, if they stay at the albergue para peregrini or not, to visit the church and the the little tour Gustavo offers...church, chapterhouse and courtyard. Really enjoyed it..and it will become apparent that Rainha Sta Isabel has strong connections to theCaminho . ...so, to me it was extra special staying at this place last night.
Some more photos below..
One shows the morning light image of entrances...and also the reception area...
Left Coimbra this morning...
Rather loud parties /activities are going on due to the students yearly event ...too boisterous for me right now...
Best wishes.
Claudia

Pilgrims.
In Coimbra you should visit the "Quinta das Lagrimas". It was on this property that has occurred the most beautiful love story in the world, the romance between King Pedro I of Portugal and Inês de Castro.
The love was so profound that the king married Inês de Castro after his dead. The tombs are in the monastery of Alcobaça, placed one in front of the other (the French destroyed a little when the invasions, but still pretty).
If interested should search the internet.

If your walking from Lisbon use the bomberos. They are free. A bit spartan but clean. Cold water etc. just turn up and ask the secretary.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
In Coimbra I spent some money on a guided vehicle tour. Well worth it and saved my legs!

If your walking from Lisbon use the bomberos. They are free. A bit spartan but clean. Cold water etc. just turn up and ask the secretary.
"Spartan ? ! the nightshift kept us out of our sleep all night. They tried to keep awake in case of coming in action but due to that it was a catastrophe for all us of they offered a place to "sleep". A once in a lifetime experience but not anymore for us. And clean ? Anyway in Tomar where we were it was a filthy place. But okay. You must do this once in your life. Because of this experience next morning, sleepy ,no nightrest, we forgot to visit the Convento do Cristo on top of the mountain high above Tomar. So somebody on this forum who read our travelblog wrote that we had missed something and this year we went back to Tomar,specially to visit the convento and had another look at the bombeiros, this time with a big smile.image.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
When I stayed at a firestation in 2011 a fire alarm went off at 3 in the morning. I was just about to get dressed and rush out when I realised the alarm was probably for the fire(wo)men to go of somewhere. My walking partner had remained asleep through the walls of Jericho loudness klaxon and was still snoring away.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back