Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Juvenil de Castro closing for a month

Jools

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo Juky 2015
just to let anyone planning to stay in this lovely place that it will be closed for hols from 30Jan - 29feb

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    254.8 KB · Views: 5
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
just to let anyone planning to stay in this lovely place that it will be closed for hols from 30Jan - 29feb

Hi, Jools, Thanks for the heads up.

I have always wanted to stay in this albergue, primarily so I could visit the Castro and the museum nearby. On my second Primitivo, we got the news from the hospitalera in Berducedo that the albergue would be full for the next few days with a youth group. Did you call before leaving Grandas de Salime to make sure you could stay there?

I think I did as it was very full and the mother & son I was walking with didn't get in and stayed in the hotel - I think I read that they often have youth groups so thought I'd better check

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We booked in as we were told that it is really a youth hostel and takes pilgrims at times when it is not booked for youth groups. There is other bookable accommodation in Castro, but we have not stayed in either yet and I believe that one is very expensive.
It is certainly worth staying in Castro to see the museum and the Castro itself - organised by going to the museum as it opens. The curator closed the museum to take us round to the castro which is a short walk back down the road.

We booked in as we were told that it is really a youth hostel and takes pilgrims at times when it is not booked for youth groups. There is other bookable accommodation in Castro, but we have not stayed in either yet and I believe that one is very expensive.
It is certainly worth staying in Castro to see the museum and the Castro itself - organised by going to the museum as it opens. The curator closed the museum to take us round to the castro which is a short walk back down the road.

Yes, Tia, I think it was your report that made me want to visit! I will check out the lodging options, thanks so much. Laurie

Just to get the information back up here. The name of the Castro is Castro Chao Samartin (Castro is the Spanish word used to describe ancient hill forts/towns.
http://www.castrosdeasturias.es/castros/16/el-castro-de-chao-samartin

Visiting hours here:
http://www.parquehistorico.org/recorrido_pobladores.php?codigo=6

Looks like Tues - Sat, 11-13, 16-18; tours of the ruins 13, 17, and 18
Sunday 11 - 13.

And if anyone sees any lodging options in addition to the albergue, I see a Casa Rural Ferreira CAstro but can't find any info on it. Thanks, Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Here it is @peregrina2000 :
http://www.casaldeaferreiro.com/
But seems like it's in Grandas de Salime not in Castro Chao Samartin :confused:

This link might be interesting too:
http://www.asturnatura.com/turismo/castro-de-chao-samartin/2443.html

Well, that's it, Kinky, thanks! Castro is a "suburb" of Grandas and actually pertains to it, so that's why it has that address. Pricey, so I will hope I can get into the albergue. Seeing the pictures brought back a vague memory of seeing it right on the camino.

Very pricey and 10% IVA not included!
Maybe I'll learn this summer that Castro is suburb of Grandas :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In August 2013, I stayed at the Hotel Chao Samartin in Castro (phone #985-62-72-67). There were two of us and it was 40 euro for a double room and breakfast. I had hoped to stay at the Albergue Juvenil but as mentioned, it was booked for a youth group that day. The hospitalera at the albergue told me about the hotel just a few more minutes up the road. Dinner was not served at the hotel but we could book to have dinner at the albergue. The hotel (more like a Casa Rural) is a lovely place, overlooking the museum and Castro. I had only walked the short distance from Grandas de Salime that morning and it was a perfect place for a quiet rest day and a chance to see the castro. Really worth a visit.

Attachments

• Hotel Chao Samartin.jpg
    Hotel Chao Samartin.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Hotel Chao Samartin 2.jpg
    Hotel Chao Samartin 2.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
This juvenil is beautiful, with a large yard to rest, and lots of wind to dry your clothes in a flah, if you manage not to have your clothes fly off. And the hospitalera is an excellent cook. None of this pasta or rice stuff some call a coomunity dinner: gorgeous veggie soup, thick slice of haddock or similar white fish. Bread is thick, tradtionnally baked. Yummy!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.