• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue kitchens closed down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Consey78

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances
Norte
Primitivo
I'm on my third camino and just arrived in Los Arcos on the CF. I'm really disappointed in the fact that most of the albergue kitchens have been closed down.
The cooking hobs have been disconnected and only the microwave is available. Not even a kettle left to use.
I understand it's probably an attempt to force perrigrinos to eat out and spend more money in the local cafés.
It's hardly in the spirit of the camino and a real dissappointment to cheapskates like me who like to cook along the way.
Is anyone ahead of me on the CF who can advise whether this will continue and is the norm. If you know of municipal albergues who have left their kitchen usable please let me know which ones in the comments.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I should add in Larrasoaña, one stop after Zubiri the kitchen was open.

I'm on my third camino and just arrived in Los Arcos on the CF. I'm really disappointed in the fact that most of the albergue kitchens have been closed down.
The cooking hobs have been disconnected and only the microwave is available. Not even a kettle left to use.
I understand it's probably an attempt to force perrigrinos to eat out and spend more money in the local cafés.
It's hardly in the spirit of the camino and a real dissappointment to cheapskates like me who like to cook along the way.
Is anyone ahead of me on the CF who can advise whether this will continue and is the norm. If you know of municipal albergues who have left their kitchen usable please let me know which ones in the comments.
Actually this was also one of the Covid measures that many albergues were advised to take. Yes, also possibly to increase community support, too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It goes back so many years that pilgrims abused their kitchen privileges by never cleaning up behind themselves and destroying the equipment made available to them. I doubt the open kitchen will ever return due to a selfish and irresponsible few!

It goes back so many years that pilgrims abused their kitchen privileges by never cleaning up behind themselves and destroying the equipment made available to them. I doubt the open kitchen will ever return due to a selfish and irresponsible few!
Yes undoubtedly some people left a mess behind. I never saw nor hear of any destroyed kitchen utensils though.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Yes, this was the case last summer when I walked which made it hard for those of us with special dietary needs or those trying to keep to a smaller budget. Last year - most communal meals were not happening and most kitchens were closed. We were always happy when we ended up in a place with a kitchen or communal meal!

Unfortunately I don't remember which albergues had kitchens open because I ended up just not using them - but one that does stand out was Albergue Hospederia del Convento de Santa Clara - I remember that one because a huge group had a great family style dinner in the courtyard. This was last June/July 2021

But it wasn't to force people to eat out - it was due to COVID and other health/hygiene reasons!

I doubt if it was entirely that pilgrims abused the kitchen and stole things or Covid or community pressure for dining business. Maybe a combinations and things do break and with limited donations and income over the past couple of years, it is sometimes difficult to repair and replace items. I am sure it is a combination of things and the decision is then left with the city, church, community on what to do next. Also, gas and electricity are expensive so there is a cost to that as well.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I doubt if it was entirely that pilgrims abused the kitchen and stole things or Covid or community pressure for dining business. Maybe a combinations and things do break and with limited donations and income over the past couple of years, it is sometimes difficult to repair and replace items. I am sure it is a combination of things and the decision is then left with the city, church, community on what to do next. Also, gas and electricity are expensive so there is a cost to that as well.
Yes - I am sure it is for multiple reasons. But there were a lot of places that had their kitchens open before COVID and closed them due to COVID (these are the places I was referring to)- and those places may slowly be reopening the kitchens - OR - they may have decided that it is nice not to have to worry about those kitchens anymore so use the opportunity to keep them closed.

I know in Covid terms last October-December 2021 is an eternity ago. Virtually every kitchen was closed on the VDLP and it forced me to spend alot more money than I normally would spend. Also in many of those small villages we stay at on the VDLP the one or two bar/restaurants often did not serve until 9 or 9:30PM. More money, going to bed alot later and not too memorable dining experiences either.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Maybe spending money locally would be good? We are fortunate for any businesses which have managed to survive Covid emergency. I don't know your nationality but is being a "cheapskate" something of which you are proud?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It would be very sad if the kitchens don't open again. I do understand that they were closed for Covid reasons, but now that not even masks have to be worn it sounds strange to me that the kitchens might stay closed.

Yes, some pilgrims didn't wash their dishes pre covid. I know I've cleaned up the mess of others several times. I'd be happy to do so again when kitchens open up again. It's a small price to pay for being able to cook and eat together with others. Had so many memorable dinners in the albergue kitchens, while the pilgrim menus were usually nothing special.

No kitchens for someone like me on a budget means cold food or carrying a camping cooker and cooking alone outside on a picnic table, as pilgrim menus each night are out of the question.

No kitchen means a big loss in my opinion, especially regarding the social side of the Camino. Cooking and eating together is such an important part of social life and helps to build a sense of community, while eating out in a restaurant makes you more of a customer. Nothing wrong with that, but if it's the only option, that's surely a loss in diversity.

For those who say that the closed kitchens help the local economy: I don't think it's that simple. Pilgrims on a budget won't suddenly start to dine out each night at the restaurants. Instead of pasta from the tiendas they will probably have a sandwich made from things bought at the tienda. With the difference that they'll be the odd ones out eating alone while the others are in the restaurant.

And don't forget that even those who are cooking their own meals do help the local economy by buying ingredients in the tiendas and supermarkets.

And toilet rolls!

Maybe keep the toilets closed too, then, so that the rolls can't be stolen. Pilgrims don't clean up after themselves in the bathrooms anyway, same as in the kitchens. Always hair in the drains. So just shut down all the showers as well. Problem solved...! Right?

🙄

Sorry for being sarcastic. But I seriously hope there are other ways to deal with the few pilgrims not washing their dishes (or stealing the odd spoon) than closing down kitchens in general, for everyone.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Maybe keep the toilets closed too, then, so that the rolls can't be stolen. Pilgrims don't clean up after themselves in the bathrooms anyway, same as in the kitchens. Always hair in the drains. So just shut down all the showers as well. Problem solved...! Right?

🙄

Sorry for being sarcastic. But I seriously hope there are other ways to deal with the few pilgrims not washing their dishes (or stealing the odd spoon) than closing down kitchens in general, for everyone.
Really??? What other ways? Ideas?? Sorry for being sarcastic but I can’t think of many?

I can absolutely understand why some have responded by not replacing cooking equipment OR toilet rolls. As always, a few irresponsible people ruin it for everyone.

However I think MOST are closed because of COVID.

Really??? What other ways? Ideas?? Sorry for being sarcastic but I can’t think of many?

Education? I think that quite a few pilgrims think that by paying a fee for staying at the albergue, they also pay for cleaning service. Also, we all can help by cleaning up when others don't. Just as some pay more in donativos to make up for those who don't pay at all or just very little.

All I wanted to say is that nobody would think about closing showers because pilgrims don't mop, but closing kitchens because someone didn't wash dishes somehow is a good enough reason.

This is off topic anyway. OP asked for advice from those walking ahead that might give advice about albergues with open kitchens. I got tempted to comment without answering that question. Sorry 🙁

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Education? I think that quite a few pilgrims think that by paying a fee for staying at the albergue, they also pay for cleaning service. Also, we all can help by cleaning up when others don't. Just as some pay more in donativos to make up for those who don't pay at all or just very little.

All I wanted to say is that nobody would think about closing showers because pilgrims don't mop, but closing kitchens because someone didn't wash dishes somehow is a good enough reason.

This is off topic anyway. OP asked for advice from those walking ahead that might give advice about albergues with open kitchens. I got tempted to comment without answering that question. Sorry 🙁
Yes i did and as of yet, nothing helpfull.

🙄

No, you've got the wrong end of the toilet roll (why do people who are sarcastic feel the need to apologise? Why be sarcastic in the first place?)

While working at Rabanal I went to the upstairs washroom to see if any of the cubicles needed paper.

A pilgrim collapse through dehydration and I foolishly put an unopened pack of 18 toilet rolls down and went to attend to him.

When that episode was over I returned to my duties only to find every one of the rolls had been taken - they hadn't even bothered to put the plastic wrap in the bin!

No, you've got the wrong end of the toilet roll (why do people who are sarcastic feel the need to apologise? Why be sarcastic in the first place?)

While working at Rabanal I went to the upstairs washroom to see if any of the cubicles needed paper.

A pilgrim collapse through dehydration and I foolishly put an unopened pack of 18 toilet rolls down and went to attend to him.

When that episode was over I returned to my duties only to find every one of the rolls had been taken - they hadn't even bothered to put the plastic wrap in the bin!

Wow. Crazy! Maybe I still think too positive about mankind. Sorry to hear things like that.

And thank you for your work as hospitalero, I can't imagine what it must feel like to put so much work in helping pilgrims to then see that kind of behaviour.

My post really wasn't meant in a bad way. English is not my first language, so sorry it apparently sounded more harsh than intended.

I just think it's a drastic measure to close kitchens. But if that's what's the new norm on the Camino, then pilgrims will surely adapt to it.

It's probably different when you look at things more from a hospitalero's point of view than from a pilgrim's. My post was from the point of view of someone who used kitchens almost every single day on the first Camino, and had cold dinner when there was no kitchen available. I'll miss the kitchens. A lot. I do understand though that you probably don't if you're the one who has to clean up the disaster some pilgrims leave behind each morning!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
“Maybe I still think too positive about mankind.”

I made the same mistake. While I’ve met lots of wonderful pilgrims, they’re probably in equal measure with the inconsiderate ones, which has been a huge surprise to me.

I’m past Los Arcos. I have not seen a lot of kitchens available. Sometimes a microwave and a mini fridge. I asked at one if I could put my yogurt into her fridge overnight (communal meal albergue) which was no problem.

Wow. Crazy! Maybe I still think too positive about mankind. Sorry to hear things like that.

And thank you for your work as hospitalero, I can't imagine what it must feel like to put so much work in helping pilgrims to then see that kind of behaviour.

My post really wasn't meant in a bad way. English is not my first language, so sorry it apparently sounded more harsh than intended.

I just think it's a drastic measure to close kitchens. But if that's what's the new norm on the Camino, then pilgrims will surely adapt to it.

It's probably different when you look at things more from a hospitalero's point of view than from a pilgrim's. My post was from the point of view of someone who used kitchens almost every single day on the first Camino, and had cold dinner when there was no kitchen available. I'll miss the kitchens. A lot. I do understand though that you probably don't if you're the one who has to clean up the disaster some pilgrims leave behind each morning!
The situation with kitchens has always been hit and miss, the more recently built (10 years or so) albergues that have been opened have been better equipped.
But I remember staying in the lovely San Nicolás de Flue in Ponferrada that was built by a Swiss pilgrim. Great kitchen but you were not allowed to cook hot food there because "it makes the place smell!"
We shall eventual rise above all of this.
Buen Camino!

I made the same mistake. While I’ve met lots of wonderful pilgrims, they’re probably in equal measure with the inconsiderate ones, which has been a huge surprise to me.

Sorry to hear that. To be honest, I had very different experience so far on all my caminos. Never met so many kind and respectful people in all of my life (with some exceptions of course, but those were definitely not the norm). Or maybe my bar for what is considered acceptable behaviour is just set too low. Or positives overshadowing negatives. Who knows.

I'll stop replying here now. Sorry that the thread took a negative turn because of my comment, that was not my intention.

I hope the op will still get some useful info and will find more open kitchens further into their walk.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It may be a blessing in disguise! If you are sharing a kitchen or communal meal, you will expose yourself more to Omicron ,which could cost you more money, time and inconvenience. In the end eating out could be a big savings all around.

We are currently Hospitaleros in the Donativo Municipal albergue in El Burgo Ranero. The kitchen is open and the pilgrims cook enthusiastically every night. They are great at cleaning up after themselves and often improvise a shared meal ( we are not allowed to offer communal meals).

🙄

A pilgrim should be glad to have a bed, this is what he pays for. It is interesting that some cheapskates believe that they have a right to be such while denying the same right to others (..the albergues)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
'll stop replying here now. Sorry that the thread took a negative turn because of my comment, that was not my intention.
I don't think that you have to apologise. The first post is not merely a request for information, it implicitly invites to a wider discussion by speculating about the reasons why an albergue that is owned and largely financed by a small municipality and subject to public health regulations does not offer the possibility for people to cook and that this is somehow against the Spirit of the Camino because some people are deprived of their preferred way of getting their evening meal and/or are keen on spending as little money as possible in the town where they stay for one night.

Genuine reply, make yourself responsible for cleaning the kitchen while you are at an albergue which does not want to open the kitchen,make yourself known to the Hospitelera/o, convince them that any tidying which needs doing because other people haven't done it then you will do it before you leave. I have done this and in Galicia as well, I have had camigos who have done it as well. The people who man the Albergues are often doing it voluntarily in the municipal and local ones and they struggle with day to day extra cleaning which can take hours, so I feel it's up to us to make them feel confident about opening it.

Maybe spending money locally would be good? We are fortunate for any businesses which have managed to survive Covid emergency. I don't know your nationality but is being a "cheapskate" something of which you are proud?
A pilgrim should be glad to have a bed, this is what he pays for. It is interesting that some cheapskates believe that they have a right to be such while denying the same right to others (..the albergues)
You know, I realize that the OP referred to him/herself as being a "cheapskate"... however I have seen that term used a couple times to criticize those who are for one reason or another on a budget - and it is rude and unnecessary.

Personally - I am all for doing my part in supporting businesses who have managed to survive COVID. I did so in 2021 and will do so again in 2022. That doesn't mean I have unlimited funding where I can go out and spend without watching my spending. I will however, being giving generous donations at donativos, paying for albergues and a small mix of private rooms, and dining in local establishments along the way. I do still hope to be able to access kitchens so I can follow my diet more closely and perhaps share in communal meals made by myself and other pilgrims along the way.

On the other end of the spectrum - my barely 18 year old daughter who is about to graduate high school will be departing for HER Camino about a month after me. She works. She is paying for her own trip. But she doesn't have a big savings account and she is also about to go off to college - which has a LOT of expenses (college in the US - in case you are unaware - is VERY expensive). She will be heading to Spain on a tight budget. When her money runs out - it is gone. She will need to stick to her budget - and having access to kitchens would help immensely with that. Is my daughter a cheapskate? Hardly. Is she going to be on a tighter budget? Definitely.

And what about all those retired seniors who hike the Camino? Some have wonderful pensions or retirement savings. Others are on a fixed income that is probably much lower than their earnings were. They paid their dues supporting the economy. They may not be able to spend a lot of money on the Camino now. Should they stay home? Now - are there people on the Camino who try to take advantage and refuse to pay a fair share? Of course. But MOST people on the Camino are more than willing to do their part and pay their fair share - even on a budget. And don't forget the recent high school/college grads or those who have fallen on hard times due to a loss of a job or loss of a marriage or loss of a loved one... do they not deserve to have a Camino experience because they can't afford the same luxuries?

As for the kitchens - does anyone believe they have a "right" to have access to a kitchen? Well - perhaps a few. But most people only expect a kitchen because traditionally kitchens have often been available to those who have medical diets and those who want to eat healthier and those who want to cook a communal with their friends and yes.... for those who are on a tighter budget. Me? I have medical dietary restrictions and I was not able to follow my medically prescribed diet because I couldn't cook my own meals when the bars/restaurants weren't serving foods that were medically approved for me. So - it would be very nice if the kitchens were available and pilgrims did their part in caring for the kitchens and kitchens closed due to COVID were reopened.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'll stop replying here now. Sorry that the thread took a negative turn because of my comment, that was not my intention.

I hope the op will still get some useful info and will find more open kitchens further into their walk.
Nothing wrong with your comments... don't apologize!

This is a discussion that appears regularly: What about those on a tight budget who could only afford donativo and municipal albergues and would have to cook to save money, don't they have a right to an 'affordable' Camino in Spain?

Rarely the questions is asked: What about those who cannot afford to fly to Spain in the first place, don't they have a right to a Camino in Spain?

Mostly, our private charity has its limits: it is fine to pay a bit extra in a donativo albuerge for the sake of the less fortunate but we would not give our flight ticket to someone else who deserves to go to Spain, too, so that s/he can go instead of us. So look at it like this: The charity of the municipalities for non-residents is limited, too. :cool:

Last edited:
This is a discussion that appears regularly: What about those on a tight budget who could only afford donativo and municipal albergues and would have to cook to save money, don't they have a right to an 'affordable' Camino in Spain?

Rarely the questions is asked: What about those who cannot afford to fly to Spain, don't they have a right to a Camino in Spain?
I didn't say anyone has a RIGHT t to a Camino - a cheap one or otherwise! I said those on a budget often expect kitchens to be available because traditionally - kitchens have been available. Likewise those on a budget often expect donativos and municipal albergues because traditionally - donativos and municipal albergues have been available. People on a budget make plans believing things are available to them to make the Camino possible to them - based on past experience or research.

And I asked people to quit insulting people by using the term cheapskate... when they undoubtedly don't know the other persons circumstances.

Unfortunately - COVID has created some unprecedented changes and people are going on the Camino and expecting pre-COVID things to be as they were before - such as the lower prices from 2019 and earlier, or the blankets frequently available, communal dinners frequently offered, and yes - the kitchens they once cooked in are still open.

Again - the Camino had things in place to allow people of most budgets to be able to participate. Those things aren't always available now. And when you pick an albergue with a kitchen, you would think they have an open kitchen. And right now - that isn't the case everywhere that has a kitchen.

Gronze indicates whether an albergue has a kitchen at uso libre but they don't seem to indicate whether that is currently possible or not - use of kitchens was prohibited mainly due to public health measures that have only recently been lifted by the national and regional governments in Spain. Since most locations have only one municipal albergue, it is probably best to phone them to find out whether the kitchen can be used or not if that is so essential and then walk further when the answer is that the kitchen is closed.

One can also just have a cold evening meal - I've done that on a number of days on my way to Santiago and survived to tell the tale.

Sorry to hear that. To be honest, I had very different experience so far on all my caminos. Never met so many kind and respectful people in all of my life (with some exceptions of course, but those were definitely not the norm). Or maybe my bar for what is considered acceptable behaviour is just set too low. Or positives overshadowing negatives. Who knows.

I don’t think you need to apologize.
It’s difficult to have meaningful discussions online - where body language, facial expressions, and tone is not a part of the conversation. Different opinions are what makes the world go round. I think all these years on the Camino have just frustrated me and made me lose patience with pilgrims who leave their toilet paper all over the ground, do not clean up after themselves, and steal the silverware in the albergues.

My experience has also been that MOST pilgrims are responsible and kind.

Grouchy. I’m feeling old and grouchy. Sorry.

Gronze indicates whether an albergue has a kitchen at uso libre but they don't seem to indicate whether that is currently possible or not - use of kitchens was prohibited mainly due to public health measures that have only recently been lifted by the national and regional governments in Spain. Since most locations have only one municipal albergue, it is probably best to phone them to find out whether the kitchen can be used or not if that is so essential and then walk further when the answer is that the kitchen is closed.

One can also just have a cold evening meal - I've done that on a number of days on my way to Santiago and survived to tell the tale.
Yes - Gronze is great at knowing which albergue is open and what amenities they have - but not which amenities are OPEN FOR USE. And yes, it is best to call ahead to ask. But - I also suggest those on a tight budget or otherwise NEEDING a kitchen do their research before leaving on their trip. MOST were closed last year. I am still not hearing about many being open this year. And if having a kitchen is necessary - plans may need to be postponed or rethought. If you are going to wing it and not research ahead of time - I suggest assuming that all kitchens are closed and be surprised when you find one open!

And yes - I had a lot of cold lunch/evening meals when I bought my food at grocery stores. It was fine to do once in a while - but having a hot meal most days is even better! So - I will still plan on eating most of my meals at bars/restaurants and hope I can find some kitchens to cook in to supplement. And I always have health snacks in my pack.

I think all these years on the Camino have just frustrated me and made me lose patience with pilgrims who leave their toilet paper all over the ground, do not clean up after themselves, and steal the silverware in the albergues.

Grouchy. I’m feeling old and grouchy. Sorry.
Um... I would lose my patience with pilgrims who leave toilet paper all over the ground, do not clean up after themselves, and steal the silverware in the albergues too.

And I am NOT feeling old and grouchy haha!

I’ve had good luck picking up a premade salad in the mercados along with a small can of chicken breast. It even comes with a fork. It makes for a good inexpensive evening meal.

€46,-
I’ve had good luck picking up a premade salad in the mercados along with a small can of chicken breast. It even comes with a fork. It makes for a good inexpensive evening meal.
Yes - that was a staple of my food supplementation to my diet - but I got sick of them fast. I think though I am spoiled because I am used to grocery stores having a variety of premade food to chose from. I did not find that to be the case when walking through smaller or even mid-sized towns. The bigger cities I found a lot of premade food variety though.

I found it hit and miss which albergues have an open kitchen and which don't. We experienced a wide variety, including a place that cooked for us to a place that only had tables and chairs.

My daughter was lamenting the lack of communal dinners, so we used an app to find a place that apparently offered them. App wasn't up to date but luckily the fridge, microwave, kettle, and dishes were available. We stopped at a small tienda to get some food and a bottle of wine on our way back from having our end of day Cafe.

To our delight there was another pilgrim at the Hostal having her microwaved pasta and wine when we returned. We joined her and shortly after another pilgrim arrived. While not the communal dinner we envisioned we had a great evening nonetheless, sharing wine, food, and stories.

If you want to be guaranteed your hot water mspath has the right idea of bringing an immersion heater. I've never used one and I'm not even sure of the correct name but it sounds like something worth its weight in gold, especially with the cold weather lately.

Because I am gluten-free for autoimmune immune reasons, I have limitations when eating out. I rather enjoy the challenge of searching thru the little shops to find foods to make meals with. The other day I bought a small can of what I assumed was going to be roasted red peppers - it was just one whole cooked pepper crammed into a can! Take look at the canned foods, with a little microwave heating you might create your most memorable meal. And if you sit down with a bottle of wine and some food you never know who will join you!

You know, I realize that the OP referred to him/herself as being a "cheapskate"... however I have seen that term used a couple times to criticize those who are for one reason or another on a budget - and it is rude and unnecessary.

Personally - I am all for doing my part in supporting businesses who have managed to survive COVID. I did so in 2021 and will do so again in 2022. That doesn't mean I have unlimited funding where I can go out and spend without watching my spending. I will however, being giving generous donations at donativos, paying for albergues and a small mix of private rooms, and dining in local establishments along the way. I do still hope to be able to access kitchens so I can follow my diet more closely and perhaps share in communal meals made by myself and other pilgrims along the way.

On the other end of the spectrum - my barely 18 year old daughter who is about to graduate high school will be departing for HER Camino about a month after me. She works. She is paying for her own trip. But she doesn't have a big savings account and she is also about to go off to college - which has a LOT of expenses (college in the US - in case you are unaware - is VERY expensive). She will be heading to Spain on a tight budget. When her money runs out - it is gone. She will need to stick to her budget - and having access to kitchens would help immensely with that. Is my daughter a cheapskate? Hardly. Is she going to be on a tighter budget? Definitely.

And what about all those retired seniors who hike the Camino? Some have wonderful pensions or retirement savings. Others are on a fixed income that is probably much lower than their earnings were. They paid their dues supporting the economy. They may not be able to spend a lot of money on the Camino now. Should they stay home? Now - are there people on the Camino who try to take advantage and refuse to pay a fair share? Of course. But MOST people on the Camino are more than willing to do their part and pay their fair share - even on a budget. And don't forget the recent high school/college grads or those who have fallen on hard times due to a loss of a job or loss of a marriage or loss of a loved one... do they not deserve to have a Camino experience because they can't afford the same luxuries?

As for the kitchens - does anyone believe they have a "right" to have access to a kitchen? Well - perhaps a few. But most people only expect a kitchen because traditionally kitchens have often been available to those who have medical diets and those who want to eat healthier and those who want to cook a communal with their friends and yes.... for those who are on a tighter budget. Me? I have medical dietary restrictions and I was not able to follow my medically prescribed diet because I couldn't cook my own meals when the bars/restaurants weren't serving foods that were medically approved for me. So - it would be very nice if the kitchens were available and pilgrims did their part in caring for the kitchens and kitchens closed due to COVID were reopened.
This thread should not turn out to be nasty. However, it has to be said:
The Albergue infrastructure of the Camino is unique; thanks to countless volunteers and the contributions of municipalities, it offers to peregrinos a humble, very affordable accommodation. Some (Donativos) even forego to be paid for their services when there is no money.
One does not have to be a financial expert to figure that running an Albergue is hardly a thriving business, it would not exist without the incredible engagement and empathy of the hospitaleros.
While the vast majority of pilgrims are grateful for all this, there are always a few who think that they have all sorts of entitlements; a right to extremely reasonable prices for food and bed, a right to receive service of all kinds, a right to be a (self-proclaimed) cheapskate. The OP haggles about the small difference between the cost of an affordable menu and the one for a self-cooked meal, expecting that he is provided with the infrastructure and maintenance of a free-of-charge kitchen.
The Camino is not about entitlements, a pilgrim does not demand and if he/she does, then he/she should accept to pay the price; it is btw not forbidden to add a couple of Euros on top for any special service. My opinion.
That said, some albergues still offer self-cooking, a true blessing for those with special dietary needs.
How about encouraging Hospitaleros to provide self-cooking for a small additional fee, surely, €3 (like a washing machine) would be reasonable (although this might pose some new problems like controlling)

€46,-
Many of us love the open kitchen arrangements and shared meals. Unfortunately there is not much we can do about it here on the forum other than inquire or lament. As a volunteer hospitalera, I have to follow the guidelines set forth for the location and by the local governing body for that albergue. I don't get to make the guidelines. We have been instructed at times under no circumstances are we to cook for or with pilgrims and at other times depending on the agency that we should prepare breakfast or communal dining. Sometimes the instruction is that the stove may not be plugged in or that the kitchen may not be used by pilgrims. It is variable, especially at this time, and pilgrim should ask before they sign in what is allowed and available.

We are currently Hospitaleros in the Donativo Municipal albergue in El Burgo Ranero. The kitchen is open and the pilgrims cook enthusiastically every night. They are great at cleaning up after themselves and often improvise a shared meal ( we are not allowed to offer communal meals).
Thank you

As a Hospitalero, the local restaurants are our neighbors. We try not to recommend any one special and shop at a variety of places. Covid effected everything worldwide and continues. Kitchens have been closing for many years the reasons are many and bad apples were among them. Be patient and prepared. We are all doing our best to help pilgrims our first priority is safety and shelter. Ultreya.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know in Covid terms last October-December 2021 is an eternity ago. Virtually every kitchen was closed on the VDLP and it forced me to spend alot more money than I normally would spend. Also in many of those small villages we stay at on the VDLP the one or two bar/restaurants often did not serve until 9 or 9:30PM. More money, going to bed alot later and not too memorable dining experiences either.
I would say that this year at least half of the kitchens were open on the Via. In Galicia I would say that fewer than 20% of the kitchens were fully functioning. I did find that many bars and restaurants were open around 8, some earlier and some later.

Good to hear. I was a hospi there July 2013 and the kitchen in that albergue is the largest I've seen on any Camino.

Enjoy your temporada!

Good to hear. I was a hospi there July 2013 and the kitchen in that albergue is the largest I've seen on any Camino.
Yes - me too 🤣. Very unusual to have such a big kitchen. We’ve had the fire going most nights. It’s been freezing here !

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes - me too 🤣. Very unusual to have such a big kitchen. We’ve had the fire going most nights. It’s been freezing here !
Wow still that cold. I stayed there was a pilgrim one winter and we froze upstairs. As I volunteered in July we had the opposite problem - pilgrims lined up at of 11 a.m. due to the heat and we full within an hour of opening.

Wow still that cold. I stayed there was a pilgrim one winter and we froze upstairs. As I volunteered in July we had the opposite problem - pilgrims lined up at of 11 a.m. due to the heat and we full within an hour of opening.
We haven’t been full at all so far - most pilgrims seem to be heading for private rooms. There are 3 hotels in the village now and another private albergue. Probably more choice than when you were here? Tonight is our last night - we’ve really enjoyed it. Heading to Alicante tomorrow to start La Lana 😊

As a future pilgrim in 2023, I for one will be disappointed if the potential of communal meals is stymied because of kitchen closures. Having to stick to a tight budget meant I also would use kitchens, where available, daily. I’m not a cheapskate but a working class pilgrim. Disappointed to hear of closures, will monitor closely.

As a future pilgrim in 2023, I for one will be disappointed if the potential of communal meals is stymied because of kitchen closures. Having to stick to a tight budget meant I also would use kitchens, where available, daily. I’m not a cheapskate but a working class pilgrim. Disappointed to hear of closures, will monitor closely.
If you can stay at El Burgo Ranero, sounds you will be happy!

I would say that this year at least half of the kitchens were open on the Via. In Galicia I would say that fewer than 20% of the kitchens were fully functioning. I did find that many bars and restaurants were open around 8, some earlier and some later.
Glad to hear you had a better experience in that area than I did.

When I arrived at the municipal albergue in Requejada on the Norte it was obvious that no cleaning or restocking had been done recently as the trash cans were overflowing and there wasn't a square of toilet paper to be found. It was the type of albergue where you paid and picked up the key from the bar across the street with no hospitalero on duty.
I couldn't do anything about the trash cans, but I did go to a supermercado and bought a large pack of TP to restock the bathrooms. It didn't cost me much, and made the stay more comfortable both for myself and the 5 other pilgrims there that night.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We haven’t been full at all so far - most pilgrims seem to be heading for private rooms. There are 3 hotels in the village now and another private albergue. Probably more choice than when you were here? Tonight is our last night - we’ve really enjoyed it. Heading to Alicante tomorrow to start La Lana 😊
There were 2 hostales and one private albergue but we were the first to fill up. I guess that the rivalry between the two in front is still ongoing.

Enjoy the Lana! I walked Alicante-Cuenca in March 2019 so Cuenca-Burgos is still on my list. I saw only one other pilgrim, you probably will see more in May.

Ultreia!

I saw pilgrims steal… knives, spoons, forks, corkscrews
I did see a small group burn a big pot of rice to black, laugh, and leave it right on the stove top. In the morning, it was still there with no attempt made to even discard the contents or clean/soak the pot. I'm sure even after my effort to clean it, it had to be thrown away...( not sure why they thought it was hilariously funny to ruin property, but yes it happens ) And like @Anniesantiago , I've also witnessed pilgrims taking utensils and salt/pepper/spices...there will always be bad actors

I know in Covid terms last October-December 2021 is an eternity ago. Virtually every kitchen was closed on the VDLP and it forced me to spend alot more money than I normally would spend. Also in many of those small villages we stay at on the VDLP the one or two bar/restaurants often did not serve until 9 or 9:30PM. More money, going to bed a lot later and not too memorable dining experiences either.
Why weren’t the restaurant kitchens closed then? Why only close the kitchens in albergues?

It sounds like the reason for closing albergue kitchens is not covid. It’s to force more pilgrims into restaurants in the evening.

Where can we find a list of albergues with an actual stove?

Also, not looking for communal meals, just want to cook for myself.

Covid effected everything worldwide and continues. Kitchens have been closing for many years the reasons are many and bad apples were among them. Be patient and prepared. We are all doing our best to help pilgrims our first priority is safety and shelter. Ultreya.
Do people think hostels in France, Netherlands, Germany, etc., have no stoves?

Not true. This is a problem in Spain. It is Spain that’s taken stoves out of the place where travelers pay to sleep, forcing them into restaurants.

And it’s Spain where local restaurants often don’t serve supper until 8pm or 9pm.

And it’s Spain that wants you out of the albergue by 8am or 9am.

As for bad apples, how could pilgrims be bad apples with hospiteleros on site, or with someone else keeping an eye on the kitchen, or with cameras in the kitchen?

Why weren’t the restaurant kitchens closed then? Why only close the kitchens in albergues?
There are many complex reasons that we cannot properly debate and evaluate on the forum. Neither Spain nor the "Camino" have any obligation to provide cooking facilities to people passing through town, even to those who pay a small sum for an albergue bed.

Last edited:
I imagine it will take some time for some kitchens to be fully available again. Reasons for closure must I think include Covid regulations. In Galicia, from Tui onwards on the CF, long before Covid, there were some exquisite kitchens in Xunta albergues, without as much as a teaspoon to be found!
I also work on a limited budget, but if I cannot foresee that I can pay my way by finding other options, I would choose a shorter camino without worrying about how much is in my purse. Nobody is forcing me to walk a camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I did see a small group burn a big pot of rice to black, laugh, and leave it right on the stove top. In the morning, it was still there with no attempt made to even discard the contents or clean/soak the pot. I'm sure even after my effort to clean it, it had to be thrown away...( not sure why they thought it was hilariously funny to ruin property, but yes it happens ) And like @Anniesantiago , I've also witnessed pilgrims taking utensils and salt/pepper/spices...there will always be bad actors
First of all, many pilgrims are Spanish. Not foreigners. And I have never witnessed any theft by pilgrims, Spanish or foreign. I’ve never seen any bad behavior in kitchens by pilgrims either. I’ve only seen pilgrims sharing kitchen facilities and then washing and cleaning after.

How could kitchens have such problems if there is someone present doing a job, like a hospitalero, or some other staffer from the village, or if there are cameras in the kitchen?

You are asking many questions, as if wanting the albergues to defend and explain why they are not providing you with the kitchen facilities that you desire. Turn the questions around and think about why they would bother to install/maintain and monitor such facilities, and also how many "staff" are available at what cost.

There are many complex reasons that we cannot properly debate and evaluate on the forum. Neither Spain nor the "Camino" have any obligation to provide cooking facilities to people passing through town, even to those who pay a small sum for an albergue bed.
Actually yes there is an obligation to provide a functional kitchen if it’s stated in writing on Gronze that the facility has a kitchen. Otherwise it’s deceitful. In many countries the customer could sue.

Look this is a massive change. There were functional kitchens with stoves and now there are not. This is a huge and terrible development, particularly for anyone with a dietary restriction.

As I’m planning my trip, and researching Gronze, and looking at the photos, so far every time they describe how a kitchen is available, this is simply not true. It’s just a microwave and refrigerator. That’s not a proper functional kitchen. A kitchen has a stove.

The restaurant kitchens are not shut down. Just the kitchen in the albergues.

What happened?

Moreover, I see photos in Gronze of kitchens that sometimes look recently renovated. They added a laundry machine in the kitchen! That’s weird. And you can sometimes still see the hood for the stove exhaust. But they deliberately removed the stove.

What’s going on?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Actually yes there is an obligation to provide a functional kitchen if it’s stated in writing on Gronze that the facility has a kitchen. Otherwise it’s deceitful. In many countries the customer could sue.

Look this is a massive change. There were functional kitchens with stoves and now there are not. This is a huge and terrible development, particularly for anyone with a dietary restriction.

As I’m planning my trip, and researching Gronze, and looking at the photos, so far every time they describe how a kitchen is available, this is simply not true. It’s just a microwave and refrigerator. That’s not a proper functional kitchen. A kitchen has a stove.

The restaurant kitchens are not shut down. Just the kitchen in the albergues.

What happened?

Moreover, I see photos in Gronze of kitchens that sometimes look recently renovated. They added a laundry machine in the kitchen! That’s weird. And you can sometimes still see the hood for the stove exhaust. But they deliberately removed the stove.

What’s going on?

Some personal musings :

Walking a Camino is first of all a pilgrimage and not a full option package holiday. You adapt and you survive. Even without three days of warm cooked food, if needed.

Also, in pre Covidtimes ( especially on Caminos other then the Francés ) I was more than happy to find only a microwave.

IMO your words " In many countries the customer could sue" says alot! No hair on my head would even consider sueing an albergue for this so called " deceit "!

If you want to cook on a stove do rent a private place or an airbnb....

It is what it is.

Last edited:
Actually yes there is an obligation to provide a functional kitchen if it’s stated in writing on Gronze that the facility has a kitchen.
Have you read all of Gonze's disclaimers?

Where have you found a definition of a "kitchen"? I don't think Gronze or the albergues themselves refer to "proper kichens".

A confrontational and entitled approach is not a good way to get information or help.

If you need kitchen services, the Camino might not be the place for you these days. It owes you nothing.

I think the good folk at Gronze do a great job in providing and updating information as best they can. I am pretty sure they are not guaranteeing (in a legal sense) the information including whether a ‘kitchen’ in an albergue has a stove. And they are definitely not trying to deceive anyone. Many many people are very grateful to Gronze. And for the facilities available in Albergues in Spain and elsewhere.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You are asking many questions, as if wanting the albergues to defend and explain why they are not providing you with the kitchen facilities that you desire. Turn the questions around and think about why they would bother to install/maintain and monitor such facilities, and also how many "staff" are available at what cost
Look if you or anyone knows what’s going on, why not explain? But if you don’t know, that’s ok.

And yes, there is a duty to actually provide the services and accommodations described. Visitors to Spain can make complaints in Spain at the local tourist office in every city for any licensed business.

If they say they’ve got a kitchen, they need to provide a real and functioning kitchen. A microwave isn’t a kitchen.

I’m really only posting for one reason. I just need a list of albergues with functional proper kitchens on the Camino Frances.

So where can I get a list of albergues or accommodations with kitchens that have a functioning stove?

If gronze is incorrect, where does a visitor get the list?

Look if you or anyone knows what’s going on, why not explain? But if you don’t know, that’s ok.

And yes, there is a duty to actually provide the services and accommodations described. Visitors to Spain can make complaints in Spain at the local tourist office in every city for any licensed business.

If they say they’ve got a kitchen, they need to provide a real and functioning kitchen. A microwave isn’t a kitchen.

I’m really only posting for one reason. I just need a list of albergues with functional proper kitchens on the Camino Frances.

So where can I get a list of albergues or accommodations with kitchens that have a functioning stove?

Call / mail or whatsapp the places if you want more information!

And if there is a stove be aware that you still will have to share the use with other waiting pilgrims.
So no time really for long elaborate dinners.
Solidarity is key.

And yes, there is a duty to actually provide the services and accommodations described.
Presumably you are talking about some sort of truth in advertising. If you think there would be a legal case to sue an albergue for calling a room a kitchen when it doesn't have the kind of stove you need, you are being unreasonable.
where does a visitor get the list?
Likely the list doesn't exist.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Do people think hostels in France, Netherlands, Germany, etc., have no stoves?

Not true. This is a problem in Spain. It is Spain that’s taken stoves out of the place where travelers pay to sleep, forcing them into restaurants.

And it’s Spain where local restaurants often don’t serve supper until 8pm or 9pm.

And it’s Spain that wants you out of the albergue by 8am or 9am.

As for bad apples, how could pilgrims be bad apples with hospiteleros on site, or with someone else keeping an eye on the kitchen, or with cameras in the kitchen?
Perhaps Spain is not the place for you to travel at this time.
How could kitchens have such problems if there is someone present doing a job, like a hospitalero, or some other staffer from the village, or if there are cameras in the kitchen?
There is not always someone present to monitor the situation. Many public albergues are operated on funds from the municipal government. They often only are minimally staffed during check in times, then cleaners come in after pilgrims leave.
Seriously? Gronze is a service provided free to pilgrims and tries to keep updated as much as possible, but they make no guarantees, and have no control or special relationship with the properties listed on their site.
And yes, there is a duty to actually provide the services and accommodations described
Perhaps on their own sites, but on a third party website? You're joking.
A visitor could call, text or email each property to ask them what is provided.

where can I get a list of albergues or accommodations with kitchens that have a functioning stove?
I have no idea whether anyone bothered to draw up such a list.

Instead of posting long comments in various threads you may have more luck with your quest if you look around on your screen or click around until you spot this button:

Button.jpg.

Click on it, pick All Caminos Miscellaneous Topics or Camino Frances as subforum, type Albergues with stoves? as thread title, copy-paste the sentence quoted above as the text of your post, submit, and wait for relevant answers.

Best of luck and Buen Camino!

I found some lovely recipes here! Although I have my doubts about the risotto! But then again, after walking for twenty kilometers , I am probably so hungry I would eat it ( even when it is not the real deal :cool: ).

I found some lovely recipes here!

Splendid suggestion - recipes for meals prepared in microwaves! Especially now with the high energy prices in Spain ...! Quote from this BBC Good Food guide: As well as saving on time, microwaves provide a cost-effective cooking method as they are far more energy efficient compared to conventional ovens, grills and hobs.

Thanks, I am sure every Camino pilgrim will appreciate this.

Have you read all of Gonze's disclaimers?

Where have you found a definition of a "kitchen"? I don't think Gronze or the albergues themselves refer to "proper kichens".

A confrontational and entitled approach is not a good way to get information or help.

If you need kitchen services, the Camino might not be the place for you these days. It owes you nothing.

Look. People with dietary restrictions are prepared to pay for a proper functioning kitchen with a stove. I want to pay to use a stove in my accommodation. In past caminos, I did that. Everyone did that.

The question is the same:

Where do we get a list of albergues or accommodations where the kitchens have working stoves?

If you don’t know, ok, you don’t know.

So let’s make it easy for people to communicate honestly and participate in the discussion about which albergues have stoves. People may know the answer to that question or similar questions and we all benefit when people offer accurate information and answers to paying tourists and to those planning their trip.

And speaking of information, if any tourist is ever misled, cheated, harassed, mistreated, lied to, etc., by any licensed business in Spain including albergues and hostels, they absolutely can and should make a complaint at the tourist offices and to the appropriate authorities. It will be taken very seriously.

In fact, simply explaining that you are going to report something will usually get them to change their behavior.

No one should ever fear getting cheated, harassed, misled, mistreated, etc., by a business that’s licensed by Spanish authorities. It’s terrible for business. That’s the opposite of everything Spain stands for.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Call / mail or whatsapp the places if you want more information!

And if there is a stove be aware that you still will have to share the use with other waiting pilgrims.
So no time really for long elaborate dinners.
Solidarity is key.
It’s no problem sharing a stove. That’s what everyone has done for decades!

Look. People with dietary restrictions are prepared to pay for a proper functioning kitchen with a stove. I want to pay to use a stove in my accommodation. In past caminos, I did that. Everyone did that.

Where do we get a list of albergues or accommodations where the kitchens have working stoves?

So let’s make it easy for people to communicate honestly and participate in the discussion about which albergues have stoves. People may know the answer to that question or similar questions and we all benefit when people offer accurate information and answers to paying tourists and to those planning their trip.

And speaking of information, if any tourist is ever misled, cheated, harassed, mistreated, lied to, etc., by any licensed business in Spain including albergues and hostels, they absolutely can and should make a complaint at the tourist offices and to the appropriate authorities. It will be taken very seriously.

In fact, simply explaining that you are going to report something will usually get them to change their behavior.

No one should ever fear getting cheated, harassed, misled, mistreated, etc., by a business that’s licensed by Spanish authorities. It’s terrible for business. That’s the opposite of everything Spain stands for.

Again , for the X-time : there is NO central list nor does Gronze claims to have the most up-to -date information.
Call, mail or whatsapp the albergues yourself!

And good luck complaining to the local tourist offices about not having a stove in an albergue. They will have a really good laugh. It is one thing to make a complaint about serious issues ( for instance fire regulations or other unsafe infrastructure ) then nagging about not having a stove to cook on.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Ah! So you are speaking as a tourist! This forum is for pilgrims.

Stop the bus! I see that I have not been paying attention properly. Forgive me, Op. This is of course a serious problem for those who do actually wish to use albergue kitchens - as I do, when on camino.
I often help out at a parochial albergue, more often on the church side of things than as hospitalera. However, I also have plenty of experience of using albergue kitchens as a peregrina. Times change, and with Covid, irrevocably so. It is just a fact: budgets have to be adjusted. I note the post by @SabineP that offers excellent microwave offers of recipe links. Jack Munroe is a respected cookery book author in UK, and I have one of her books, and trust her. Wishing you success in your search.

If you need a kitchen with a stove, it's up to you to check the facilities available directly with the accommodation. There is no legal definition of what a kitchen is.

If you cannot find the facilities you need in an albergue you could consider booking an apartment with cooking facilities.

If you pay €8-15 a night, you will get somewhere to sleep. You may be lucky and get other facilities, but none of it is guaranteed.

€83,-
I think the good folk at Gronze do a great job in providing and updating information as best they can. I am pretty sure they are not guaranteeing (in a legal sense) the information including whether a ‘kitchen’ in an albergue has a stove. And they are definitely not trying to deceive anyone. Many many people are very grateful to Gronze. And for the facilities available in Albergues in Spain and elsewhere.
Don’t misunderstand. I love gronze and am using it to plan right now.

We are talking about food and cooking. That’s your life. Surely people realize there are travelers with dietary issues who want to use stoves and need correct information quickly. In past years, gronze was great.

The albergues, hostels and pensions themselves provide the information to gronze. These business tell gronze they have a kitchen. And gronze has an icon or some indicator as well as some words on the page with all the accommodations in that town. So you click the one with the kitchen. Upon further examination though, going in to the page for the accommodation and scrolling, the albergues and/or gronze clarify the “kitchen” is just a microwave and fridge. So the first page info was not correct.

Look. A microwave is not a kitchen at any accommodation in the world.

The question remains, where do we get a list of albergues, hostels, pensions with a functional stove in the kitchen? Previously we could use gronze. Not so much anymore. Haven’t found a single albergue with a working stove!

If on the main page, gronze and the albergues are portraying an accommodation without a working stove in the exact same way as the rare accommodation with a working stove, first, how is that rewarding the business with the better amenity, and second, how is the paying customer supposed to find what they’re looking for?

To be honest and accurate they should have icons or a means that represent the true conditions correctly on the initial page of competing listings: 1) no facilities, 2) microwave and fridge, 3) kitchen has a functional stove and oven 4) other

If one albergue has a pool and another doesn’t, you wouldn’t list them on the main page of competing listings as both having a pool, and only when you check further and scroll around you learn that one of them is just actually a bathtub.

I have used this site (in Spanish) because it has lots of pictures, so you can actually see the facilities. I don't think it's very up-to-date, though.

I have not read this entire thread and I have never cooked, nor participated in cooking a meal prepared in an albergue kitchen.
I did notice in Galacia, that several Xunta's I stayed in had beautiful modern kitchens with stainless steel countertops, but I observed they were void of ant pots, dishes and silverware making the kitchens useless to pilgrims wanting to prepare a meal or heat up a cup of water.

€149,-
Stop the bus! I see that I have not been paying attention properly. Forgive me, Op. This is of course a serious problem for those who do actually wish to use albergue kitchens - as I do, when on camino.
I often help out at a parochial albergue, more often on the church side of things than as hospitalera. However, I also have plenty of experience of using albergue kitchens as a peregrina. Times change, and with Covid, irrevocably so. It is just a fact: budgets have to be adjusted. I note the post by @SabineP that offers excellent microwave offers of recipe links. Jack Munroe is a respected cookery book author in UK, and I have one of her books, and trust her. Wishing you success in your search.
Thank you. First of all I would pay extra to use a stove. So the accommodation should charge extra. That’s why I’m searching in advance right now. Second I would thoroughly clean up afterward with cameras or staff watching. Third this is true for many travelers with a dietary situation or even those with simple culinary preferences. Fourth many of us have had two vaccines and two boosters, so we’re not exactly passing around some virulent covid strain.

How do people know pilgrims are not doing a Camino because they survived colon cancer or rectal cancer, or perhaps they've got pancreatitis, or maybe had the gall bladder removed, or have had their stomach shot in some school shooting, or theyve got some other medical issue that requires a strict diet or eating at specific times? Anyway.

I saw the recipes for microwave “cooking” and thanks to whoever posted that. Plan to try some with friends before buying an airline ticket, if I buy that ticket. Because frankly, this drastically changes things.

Food is your life.

Have no idea if gronze or some albergue owners or other businesses monitor this, but they need to know what’s up. For some people this is a deal breaker.

Why come to Spain on Camino when you can go elsewhere in the world and cook at least one daily meal for yourself and your friends on a stove in your paid accommodation?

But again thanks to anyone with microwave recipes.

And still the question:

Where is there a list of accommodations with working stoves?

Thank you. First of all I would pay extra to use a stove. So the accommodation should charge extra. That’s why I’m searching in advance right now. Second I would thoroughly clean up afterward with cameras or staff watching. Third this is true for many travelers with a dietary situation or even those with simple culinary preferences. Fourth many of us have had two vaccines and two boosters, so we’re not exactly passing around some virulent covid strain.

How do people know pilgrims are not doing a Camino because they survived colon cancer or rectal cancer, or perhaps they've got pancreatitis, or maybe had the gall bladder removed, or have had their stomach shot in some school shooting, or theyve got some other medical issue that requires a strict diet or eating at specific times? Anyway.

I saw the recipes for microwave “cooking” and thanks to whoever posted that. Plan to try some with friends before buying an airline ticket, if I buy that ticket. Because frankly, this drastically changes things.

Food is your life.

Have no idea if gronze or some albergue owners or other businesses monitor this, but they need to know what’s up. For some people this is a deal breaker.

Why come to Spain on Camino when you can go elsewhere in the world and cook at least one daily meal for yourself and your friends on a stove in your paid accommodation?

But again thanks to anyone with microwave recipes.

And still the question:

No idea.

€60,-
Have no idea if gronze or some albergue owners or other businesses monitor this, but they need to know what’s up.
Doubtful that they monitor this forum.
There is no list. Perhaps you would like to do the hard work of compiling one and keeping it constantly updated.

I have not read this entire thread and I have never cooked, nor participated in cooking a meal prepared in an albergue kitchen.
I did notice in Galacia, that several Xunta's I stayed in had beautiful modern kitchens with stainless steel countertops, but I observed they were void of ant pots, dishes and silverware making the kitchens useless to pilgrims wanting to prepare a meal or heat up a cup of water.
Good point. People may need to travel with a pot, a lid, utensils.

You would need microwaveable containers if you were cooking microwave meals from scratch.

Did you find those good kitchens randomly or did you search first? Was this in 2022? Did you try to operate the stoves just to see if they really worked?

I don't think Spain is different to anywhere else in this respect. Some accommodations have cooking facilities, some don't. I haven't found a kitchen in most of the hostels I have stayed in in Europe. Apartments usually have a stove.

€46,-
Second I would thoroughly clean up afterward with cameras or staff watching. Third this is true for many travelers with a dietary situation or even those with simple culinary preferences. Fourth many of us have had two vaccines and two boosters, so we’re not exactly passing around some virulent covid strain.

I would clean regardless of cameras or staff watching.
Then again I will not stay in albergues that have cameras spying on me...A list of those albergues I would gladly obtain. GDPR legislation etcetera.

I think I need to go on a walk now..

I have used this site (in Spanish) because it has lots of pictures, so you can actually see the facilities. I don't think it's very up-to-date, though.

The problem with this is that then someone has to be employed to police use of the kitchen.

Thanks so much, will check out the website!

It’s always possible people may know of a way to easily locate alebergues with working stoves.

And of course they may have just come from a terrific albergue or hostel with a functioning stove and they can post about it.

Cameras are common in hostels all over the world. They’re cheap nowadays. Many tourist bureaus wouldn’t even recommend staying somewhere without such protection.

All hostels, pensiones and albergues have staff who check people in and do a ton of work. Otherwise it’s not legal in Spain.

Generally I see your point, they chose not to monitor the kitchen or common area. That’s their business decision.

If this business truly sucked, then you wouldn’t have so many accommodations and so many newish accommodations on the caminos. And you wouldn’t have so many renovations and expansions to those places of business.

Fourth many of us have had two vaccines and two boosters, so we’re not exactly passing around some virulent covid strain.
Unfortunately, the second booster didn't prevent me from catching Covid on the Camino, despite staying in private rooms all but three nights.
And I'm not the only one. I personally know several other double boosted pilgrims who have caught Covid on the Camino. Fortunately, my case was very mild.

To direct this thread back in a more positive direction (it would be sad if the thread gets closed, it's an important topic), maybe those walking now could just post if they stayed in an albergue where they found a functioning kitchen.

@CaminoJoy123 You could create a thread called "albergues on the CF with fully equipped kitchens 2022" where then those walking this year can post. You could start with the albergues you found. It will be late summer until I'm on the CF, but I would like to take notes which albergues have kitchens.

Like "albergue xy in town z, fully equipped kitchens with kitchen and stove" or "albergue A in town B, kitchen but only microwave" ect. That could lead to a list that others can use, too.

By the way I did like the xunta kitchens. You only need to carry a small pot, a pocket knife and a spork. Not much effort and you then have a nice kitchen to prepare a meal.

If this business truly sucked, then you wouldn’t have so many accommodations and so many newish accommodations on the caminos. And you wouldn’t have so many renovations and expansions to those places of business.
Municipal albergues and donativo albergues aren't licensed businesses. Albergues staffed with volunteers aren't licensed businesses. And, btw, while they may have hojas de reclamaciones I very much doubt that are subject to Spanish consumer law. We are producing quite a bit of hot air here, don't we, and not so much information ...?

Thanks so much, will check out the website!

It’s always possible people may know of a way to easily locate alebergues with working stoves.

And of course they may have just come from a terrific albergue or hostel with a functioning stove and they can post about it.

Cameras are common in hostels all over the world. They’re cheap nowadays. Many tourist bureaus wouldn’t even recommend staying somewhere without such protection.

All hostels, pensiones and albergues have staff who check people in and do a ton of work. Otherwise it’s not legal in Spain.

Generally I see your point, they chose not to monitor the kitchen or common area. That’s their business decision.

Just because you would pay to use a kitchen doesn't make it a good business venture. Many of the people who use kitchens can't afford other options. If there was a charge for kitchen use they would just eat cold food from the supermarket.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hum.... methinks the spirit of the camino starts with pilgrims...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back