Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

LIVE from the Camino Albergue Lama

becs27

Past OR future Camino
first camino in July
Just walked the mountain route leaving Villafranca. The scenery was breathtaking but the climb was hard. I had planned to stop at Trabadelo but saw cute handpainted signs leading to the albergue at the end of the track.
Had a drink and chatted to a friendly German couple who had stopped off for lunch. The bocadillos were amazing. Enormous with all fresh ingredients. I had tortilla. Also great. I was so impressed with the food and friendly family service that I decided to stay the night. The room with bunkbeds is spotless. There are fresh cotton sheets and blankets, all for 10 euros. I'm amazed that this great albergue is such a secret. One of the best I have stayed at.

Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Traveller44

Past OR future Camino
Just walked the mountain route leaving Villafranca. The scenery was breathtaking but the climb was hard. I had planned to stop at Trabadelo but saw cute handpainted signs leading to the albergue at the end of the track.
Had a drink and chatted to a friendly German couple who had stopped off for lunch. The bocadillos were amazing. Enormous with all fresh ingredients. I had tortilla. Also great. I was so impressed with the food and friendly family service that I decided to stay the night. The room with bunkbeds is spotless. There are fresh cotton sheets and blankets, all for 10 euros. I'm amazed that this great albergue is such a secret. One of the best I have stayed at.
Would you share the name of the albergue?

A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
Original artwork based on your pilgrimage or other travel photos.

trecile

Camino Addict
Past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
I also had a wonderful lunch and freshly made cake at Albergue Lamas, though I didn't stay there. For lunch I had a sandwich with delicious lettuce, tomato, and cucumber from their garden.

20170731_093333 (Small).jpg 20170731_093339 (Small).jpg 20170817_101606 (Small).jpg

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Mountain walk? Were you walking on the Dragonte variant? Is that where Albergue Lamas is?

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Past OR future Camino
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
No, it’s in Pradela on the Ruta Pradela. Hmm, I MUST do that route one day . . .
Thanks, Jill. Oh yes, I just looked on my Brierley map and I see it is a variant on the right side of the road after Villafranca, not on the more difficult Dragonte route on the left side.

Anhalter

Past OR future Camino
2019 CF
Thanks, Jill. Oh yes, I just looked on my Brierley map and I see it is a variant on the right side of the road after Villafranca, not on the more difficult Dragonte route on the left side.
Caution: The walk from Villafranca to Pradela is incredibly beutiful, but also called the "camino duro", the hard way. For a reason. I loved it, but i guess it is not for everyone.
(Or put differently, if you think of SJPDP to Roncesvalles as "a nice walk over some mountains", consider taking that route)

Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.
how to successfully prepare for your Camino
This book's focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared.

Flog

Past OR future Camino
The road route out of villafranca is a drag with steel barriers, snarling traffic and belching fumes from heavy lorries. The mountain route is very steep to begin with but it is a glorious walk above the clouds. There is no comparison in my opinion. If I get to walk that way again I will check out that place to eat..

Chenahusky

Happy Pilgrim
Past OR future Camino
CFSJPP to SDC 2016
CIng x 2 2018
CPort. Tui May 2019
CF Ponf. June 2019
The road route out of villafranca is a drag with steel barriers, snarling traffic and belching fumes from heavy lorries. The mountain route is very steep to begin with but it is a glorious walk above the clouds. There is no comparison in my opinion. If I get to walk that way again I will check out that place to eat..
I will admit it is a road, but in 2019, walking up to Trabadelo and beyond, I could count the vehicles on one hand. I think that the lorries and traffic now nearly all use the A6.

Flog

Past OR future Camino
I will admit it is a road, but in 2019, walking up to Trabadelo and beyond, I could count the vehicles on one hand. I think that the lorries and traffic now nearly all use the A6.
Ah, yes perhaps that is the case now? It's six years since I walked that way! Still, I would choose the mountain variant in a heartbeat, energy permitting!

Amused212

Past OR future Camino
Caution: The walk from Villafranca to Pradela is incredibly beutiful, but also called the "camino duro", the hard way. For a reason. I loved it, but i guess it is not for everyone.
(Or put differently, if you think of SJPDP to Roncesvalles as "a nice walk over some mountains", consider taking that route)
Am I correct that there are 3 routes out of Villafranca? It looks like the Dragonte route is the steepest, the Pereje route the least attractive, and the Pradela route somewhere in between. I like mountain walks but not looking for a "suffer fest" so likely to chose the Pradela. Any thoughts? And, seriously, I did think crossing the Pyrennes was a "nice walk" but maybe that was just my enthusiasm for starting my Camino.

A Quest of St. James, Tommy Ray, Book Cover, Image
Come follow the vivid imagery of this life-changing adventure.
Donation to the Forum
A donation to this forum helps it continue to exists and also removes all ads for you.

Anhalter

Past OR future Camino
2019 CF
Am I correct that there are 3 routes out of Villafranca? It looks like the Dragonte route is the steepest, the Pereje route the least attractive, and the Pradela route somewhere in between. I like mountain walks but not looking for a "suffer fest" so likely to chose the Pradela. Any thoughts? And, seriously, I did think crossing the Pyrennes was a "nice walk" but maybe that was just my enthusiasm for starting my Camino.
I would not call it a "suffer fest". It is quit a steep way for a couple of km and then it flattens. For someone of reasonable stamina, its likely doable. As i said, i personally enjoyed it a lot, the views are great and the town of Pradela lovely. As was the coffee and cake i had at the Albergue Lamas.
On a second CF i would likely chose that route again, or would take the Dragonte route, but would likely never walk the valley.
(Maybe that particular day is connected to "suffering" in my memory because after Pradela i carried on to O Cebreiro where i checked into the municipal that was just out of warm water. Which i would have appreciated a lot after a good 30km up the mountains...)

becs27

Past OR future Camino
first camino in July
I was really glad I took the 'camino duro' route because the views were amazing but I was exhausted after it and so happy to see signs for albergue Lamas. I'm in OCebriero now and the climb up to here was easier than the mountain route yesterday!

F

Former member 98614

Hello, my name is Miguel. I am a 27 year old Portuguese, from Lisbon (GO BENFICA!). I did the English Camino in 2015 and I am planning to bring my girlfriend to the french Camino next week. However, I would love to hear your opinion on whether it is too crowded now and if the albergue race is still a thing in French Camino. Thank you!

mmmmartin

Past OR future Camino
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)

The website of albergue lamas

Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Way Markers
Original Camino Way markers made in bronze. Two models, one from Castilla & Leon and the other from Galicia.

mmmmartin

Past OR future Camino
Santander-SdC bici '14
Plata bici '17
1/2 Plata bici '18
Frances a pie '18
(Porto a pie '19)
It's a tedious road walk yet you go through trabadelo where there is casa suzie.
If you wish there's always a bus (late afternoon takes 20 minutes) from villafranca up the hill to a village near ocebreiro then a flattish walk into ocebreiro.

Nandy61

Past OR future Camino
2010 CF StJPP to Santiago
2014 CF Leon to Santiago
2015 Primitivo
Albergue Lamas had the best bocadillo Ive ever had in Spain! Ive done the Pradela 2-3 times; the climb up is not so bad (IMO) I found the steep descent more notable. Totally worth it. However, I don’t stay up in O Cebreiro. I usually stop in La Faba.

LesR

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2017, 2018; Camino Portuguese 2019
I agree - the toughest day in CF for me, but well worth it.

I bypassed Albergue Lama in favour of booked accommodation in Casa Susi in Trabedelo... Bad move, as I found no water supplies after Villafranca and was quite dehydrated by the time I got to Casa Susi!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings
Downloads