• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Lorca , near Estella, is wonderful, calm and healing

Suzanne Edminster

Time of past OR future Camino
Paloma-Santiago June-July 2014
After having a bad night with a big snoring incident in a stuffy closed window dorm, I was seeking a bit of calm. It´s on the right side of the street coming in, across the street from the larger Bodega Albergue, which is a different business. Jose was so kind and just exudes a compassionate feeling. He gave me a room with a view. All the action is across the street, but if you want a free real live laptop, Chopin in the cafe, and a low'key, helpful vibe, choose this one.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
After having a bad night with a big snoring incident in a stuffy closed window dorm, I was seeking a bit of calm. It´s on the right side of the street coming in, across the street from the larger Bodega Albergue, which is a different business. Jose was so kind and just exudes a compassionate feeling. He gave me a room with a view. All the action is across the street, but if you want a free real live laptop, Chopin in the cafe, and a low'key, helpful vibe, choose this one.
Several other pilgrims have reported how kind and helpful Jose is. I feel grateful The Way led me to this one.

Suzanne,

I,too, have always enjoyed staying with Jose in Lorca. Nearby (2 km N) at Lacar is a wonderful Romanesque church, Santa María de Eguiarte ; I haven't been there yet but do hope to visit on my next camino.

For photos of the Santa María de Eguiarte church see >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulayjesus/sets/72157623528911141/

and >>http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulayjesus/4446877731/.

Carving on the capitals resembles some at San Juan Ortega.

For the ex monastery buildings which are now an EXPENSIVE casa rurale see http://www.lasacristana.com/

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
...and you can visit the Bodega Tandem, jut outside Lorca (it is a ultramodern, almost literally on the way) . It seems pilgrims are very well received. Last year they had a marketing campaign with the theme "Un vino para el camino" ("a cup of wine for the Way" ).
They are in Facebook, too.
https://www.facebook.com/bodegaTANDEM?fref=ts
Wineries are interesting places.
But no, unfortunately no Irache-style free wine fountain.... ;)

I too had a wonderful experience staying at Jose Ramon's place in Lorca. Considering how intense and long his days must be, he creates a very calm, relaxing energy in his albergue. A very special place to stay.

Have had the great fortune to stay there twice. Jose Ramon is an angel of the Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed at the left side - just opposite - and had a very good experience there! - Wonderful accomodation, wonderful service, wonderful meal. - So my say here is, don't build to much on single recommendations ...

annelise

For the ex monastery buildings which are now an EXPENSIVE casa rurale see http://www.lasacristana.com/
Holy smokes that is expensive. I assumed 50 euros to 100 euros per night. But, 450 euros for a weekend?! I can't imagine they get much business, and at that price they must treat one like royalty.

I staggered up the street looking at both albergues, Jose happened to be near the doorway, welcomed me warmly and that was that. Took me upstairs and told me to take a nap, come down when I was refreshed, and then we would "take care of everything". Dinner was good too, with plenty of fresh fruit for the following day. A very thoughtful and caring person. I would make a point of trying to stay there next time - Cherry

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I also stayed at Jose Ramon's Albergue Lorca last October - I was the only person there! What wonderful music and dinner! And a quiet sleep - with the windows open!!
Terry

I also very much appreciated Jose's kindness. I arrived with sweat pouring down my face on a very hot day. He urged me to go upstairs and have a shower etc, then come back down to register when I was ready. But I knew I was desperate for fluids, so had a couple of big iced kas limons downstairs first. He was so kind- it was such a pleasant evening there, sharing the meal with other pilgrims, most of whom happened to be Italian the night I stayed.
Margaret

Yes , what a great hamlet Lorca is and one would think that there would be negative vibes between 2 albergues opposite one another but there is none at all ........in fact the problem here is that the Mayor of the town insists that no chairs are allowed outside , Traffic first , not people.
I have been to the more commercial albergue accross the road 4 times and can thouroughly recommend it.
To be fair I go across to Jose for eats and drinks to support them. Jose's Sidekick has an almost complete collection of ROD STEWART cds.
Lorca rather than Estella for me ................HANDS DOWN!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
2013-09-13 18.52.20.jpg
I'm wondering who else met this business mogul,and entrepreneur disguised as a delightful little girl ? Her mum worked in the albergue opposite. This lovely girl made and sold bracelets to sell to pilgrims, and also managed to persuade someone to buy her a ice cream everyday, in such a subtle roundabout way, that you didn't even realise you'd been ' had' at the time.

Last edited:
Yes , what a great hamlet Lorca is and one would think that there would be negative vibes between 2 albergues opposite one another but there is none at all ........in fact the problem here is that the Mayor of the town insists that no chairs are allowed outside , Traffic first , not people.
I have been to the more commercial albergue accross the road 4 times and can thouroughly recommend it.
To be fair I go across to Jose for eats and drinks to support them. Jose's Sidekick has an almost complete collection of ROD STEWART cds.
Lorca rather than Estella for me ................HANDS DOWN!!

Yes, it was a friendly vibe between the two. Very narrow streets in Lorca so I can understand the difficulty of chairs on the streets - though there was a very nice bench in front of Jose's place. I look forward to staying here again.

Attachments

• Lorca.jpg
    Lorca.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Lorca Albergue.jpg
    Lorca Albergue.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 46
Yes, it was a friendly vibe between the two. Very narrow streets in Lorca so I can understand the difficulty of chairs on the streets - though there was a very nice bench in front of Jose's place. I look forward to staying here again.
This place is extra special to me for meeting YOU dearest Theatregal ! I'm sitting on that bench in your photo!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
If you are stopping at the smaller towns and missing the big centres then this little hamlet is for you - stop early or you may not get a bed.

Add me to the list of fans of Jose Ramon's Albergue Lorca. The meal was great, and there was a small room with only two beds where my wife and I stayed. I had a great time teasing Jose to make sure he wasn't "El Ramon" of movie fame. What a good sport he was!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have had the pleasure of taking a cafe-con-leche break at Jose Ramon's Albergue in Lorca three different years and have stayed overnight twice. Each visit was memorable. Jose Ramon was always warm and welcoming, and very generous. He is a treasure!

I have used both the Albergues in Lorca and they are both excellent. I stayed at the Albergue Bodega del Camino in 2014 on the 31st of May when the village had its fiesta, and spent a fantastic evening with the locals in the square. Last year I used Jose Ramon's Albergue, and it was another wonderful experience. Spent quite some time talking with Jose who has a great sense of humour. He stamped my Credencial and signed it El Ramon!! :rolleyes:

Can someone clarify? I've seen several different names mentioned for Josie's Aubergue??

Jose Ramon's place, named the albergue de Lorca, is on the right hand side (north-side) of the camino as you walk through Lorca towards Estella. It directly faces the albergue Bodega de Lorca on the left hand side (south-side) of the camino.

Last edited:
Jose Ramon's Albergue is on the right as you walk through Lorca (First photo) and the Albergue Bodega del Camino is opposite on the left (Second photo).

DSCF8432er.jpg

DSCF7209er.jpg

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.