• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Lua in Negreira

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottRD

Time of past OR future Camino
Plan to Walk Camino De Santiago (French Way)
This is by far the worst alburge I have ever seen. I have walked from sjpdp to Santiago and have never seen anything this bad.

First of all, they stand on the street and tell all pilgrims passing by that all the other alburges are full. They look shady for a reason - DO NOT BELIEVE THEM.

LUA has ONLY 1 toilet And it holds 40 pilgrims. The showers are prison style - 2 shower heads next to each other in a filthy dank stall - no divider, No privacy, No cleaning. Don't drop the soap. Filthy. A Totally nightmare. I have attached some images for you.

I was so disgusted by this place that after I checked in, I went and found another option (in an almost empty Alburge near by which was far superior)

There are many other options.

Attachments

• IMG_2821.JPG
    IMG_2821.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 2,654
  • IMG_2822.JPG
    IMG_2822.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 562
  • IMG_2828.JPG
    IMG_2828.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 560
  • IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    881 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_2816.JPG
    IMG_2816.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 464
Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Reviews on the Eroski site are generally favorable. Pilar, the owner, states that there are two women's bathrooms, and one men's (with the double shower). I, too, object to the practice of false claims, though Albergue Lua is not alone. Competition can be overly hostile. It may come from having one's life and life savings tied up in a seasonal business. Your experience was negative, and it is good to hear about it. The next pilgrim may find that it is just fine. It has 598 ratings on Eroski, and is Me Gusta rated overall.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'll squander a few more moments of my life here pointing out that one persons perceptions are not reality. My personal memories of Albergue Lua are of a comfortable and welcoming Albergue with limited but not inadequate facilities. The owners are not, to my knowledge, members and therefore have no opportunity to respond.

@ScottRD i'll presume your comment is based on personal experience.

Meanwhile, it's an Albergue, a cheap bed beneath a roof that, hopefully doesn't leak. Every and anything else is a bonus.

hello pilgrims. Please heed my warning here and avoid Alburge LUA in NEGREIRA. This is by far the worst alburge I have ever seen. I have walked from sjpdp to Santiago and have never seen anything this bad.

First of all, they stand on the street and tell all pilgrims passing by that all the other alburges are full. They look shady for a reason - DO NOT BELIEVE THEM.

LUA has ONLY 1 toilet And it holds 40 pilgrims. The showers are prison style - 2 shower heads next to each other in a filthy dank stall - no divider, No privacy, No cleaning. Don't drop the soap. Filthy. A Totally nightmare. I have attached some images for you.

I was so disgusted by this place that after I checked in, I went and found another option (in an almost empty Alburge near by which was far superior)

There are many other options. Do not stay here.

Please avoid this place as they don't care about the well being of pilgrims, only their wallets.

I saw the owners laughing and drinking at the bar across the street after they had diverted all the pilgrim traffic from other options and left them in filth.

Disgraceful.

http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-lua

Like Falcon wrote : comments can be made on this website.

And btw the correct spelling is albergue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
@ScottRD, complaining here is one thing. Did you also take the time to complain formally to the authorities? They can address at least some of the issues that concern you. A complaint form ( I forget its Spanish name) should have been available for you to notify the local authorities should there be issues with your stay there.

I think it is important to point out that certain levels of cleanliness and facilities should be expected if you are paying for the said roof and bed. Having stayed in multiple alberges all the way from SJPDP to Santiago , you understand what cheap accommodation is. That said there Is literally one toilet for the entire male population of the alberge, no shower stalls, and nothing looks like it has been cleaned for decades. I am putting this up as a warning to other pilgrims. Yes check it out for yourself. It is possible it used to be a good place, two days ago it was not.

Some other reviews here

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...ira_Province_of_A_Coruna_Galicia.html?m=19904

The reason I am posting this is not just because of the conditions of the place , but mainly because they were standing out front telling pilgrims all the other alberges were full - which was not the case.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@ScottRD, complaining here is one thing. Did you also take the time to complain formally to the authorities? They can address at least some of the issues that concern you. A complaint form ( I forget its Spanish name) should have been available for you to notify the local authorities should there be issues with your stay there.

Where/ who can I complain to? I would love to file one.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'll squander a few more moments of my life here pointing out that one persons perceptions are not reality. My personal memories of Albergue Lua are of a comfortable and welcoming Albergue with limited but not inadequate facilities. The owners are not, to my knowledge, members and therefore have no opportunity to respond.

@ScottRD i'll presume your comment is based on personal experience.

Meanwhile, it's an Albergue, a cheap bed beneath a roof that, hopefully doesn't leak. Every and anything else is a bonus.

Please let me know if your experiences were recent as I'm curious if something has gone down hill here as I was very disappointed with this place

@ScottRD and anyone else reading this thread: Every accommodation provider in Spain must, by law, have complaint forms available and provide them when asked. They are called "holas de reclamaciones". This law is strictly enforced. Those forms can be filled in and dropped at any municipal or government office and the complaint will be investigated and taken up with the management of the accommodation.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@ScottRD has shared his personal experience of this Albergue, and for that I thank him. I also appreciate that others may have/will have different experiences at different times, and it’s reasonable for them to relay that. But, to my mind, what is not reasonable is the sanctimonious tone in one or two of the responses. I don’t see my time as being “squandered” to read this post, nor to respond to it, if I am so inclined. After all, isn’t that why we are all here on a site where pilgrims share and learn and help each other?

Well said Sheesh at last respect for pilgrims opinion and can people stop correcting spelling mistakes with the BTW if the meaning is apparent or is it aparent.

I am very curious what a reclamacion would do with a place that charges 10€ for a bed, toilet and shower? What would the authorities determine is just based on the cost?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I stayed there in 2013, the sleeping area was ok, the bathrooms could have been cleaner, kitchen was a hotplate, I wouldn't stay there again, felt a little suspect to me, next time I would stay at the albergue Alecrin on the right when you get into town.

@ScottRD has shared his personal experience of this Albergue, and for that I thank him. I also appreciate that others may have/will have different experiences at different times, and it’s reasonable for them to relay that. But, to my mind, what is not reasonable is the sanctimonious tone in one or two of the responses. I don’t see my time as being “squandered” to read this post, nor to respond to it, if I am so inclined. After all, isn’t that why we are all here on a site where pilgrims share and learn and help each other?
I stayed there in 2011 and it was OK by me. As many before me said "roof over my head", bed and some water. It was enough for me then. Next two stops I stayed at Alecrin, simply love that place but I don't know why, because it's nothing special.
BUT... if everyone would post a complaint for an albergue in few years all the albergues anywhere (not only in Negreira) on any Camino would get negative reports due to our personal standards. Where would you stay then??? Best bring your own tent. And shower and toilet ;)

It's all good, keep smiling :)

Last edited:
Current information is always helpful , what it was or will be is scant use to a tired pilgrim .
Reading this in a day or two from now may allow someone to avoid a problem , reading it a month from now would at least encourage them to form their own opinion .
By the way the Municipal at Negreira is certainly one of the cleaner more comfortable ones I stayed in , at 6 euro a night I wonder how costs are even covered . As I've said before there should be a special level in hell reserved for painters of false arrows , perhaps this should be extended to writers of fake completo signs .

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have stayed at Lua four or five times over the last five years, most recently in May of this year. My granddaughter and I stopped there both going and returning on the Finisterre/ Mucia circuit. At that time Lua was clean, comfortable, quiet and welcoming. The three bathrooms were clean and functioning. Kitchen was clean and functional. I did not see the owner this year. She, when there, is chatty and friendly. I have watched her encourage peregrinos to come in and see her place, but never heard her discuss other albergues. A young couple were filling in for her. I think the young man was her son. Our stay both ways was pleasant.

Oh, and for,those who do not like to stand naked in the shower next to someone else, you will not like the muni in Lugo where you get to do so with 5 other people. Yup, the shower is one very large space with 6 shower heads, and with a dirwct view to the hallway as people open the door to the bathroom. o_O

Yup, the shower is one very large space with 6 shower heads, and with a dirwct view to the hallway as people open the door to the bathroom. o_O

four-yorkshiremen.jpg
"Door"? You were lucky. When I was a lad we used to have to wash in't corridor..... :) It seems very clear that expectations have changed a lot over time. Last year I heard a young man shout loudly and angrily to an entire dorm in the spotlessly clean and expensively refitted municipal in Burgos that "this place is f****** s***" because there was no wifi. I'm not sure that it helps when grumpy old gits like myself pontificate about how much better things used to be when we had nowt - though I still reserve the right to do so now and again :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
We stayed there in 2014. I agree with the OP that it was one of the worst facilities on the Camino Frances/Finisterre route. And like the OP, it was not just the poor facility, but the lack of concern the host had for the pilgrims that was disturbing to us. On the other hand, we cooked a big pot of vegetable soup on the single hot plate stove and shared it with several other folks during a memorable evening dinner. Good memories in a bad albergue!

Well said Sheesh at last respect for pilgrims opinion and can people stop correcting spelling mistakes with the BTW if the meaning is apparent or is it aparent.

...avoid Albergue LUA in NEGREIRA...
Do not stay here.
...avoid this place...

Sorry - I have no respect for reviews that tell me how to spend my time or money. That's my business, not anybody else's decision to make. A review is an opinion about an experience at that time and place, and nothing more.

Whether I stay in an albergue that's not as clean somebody thinks it should be, or shower right next to one or more people, is a decision that I will make at the time I need to make it.

€149,-
View attachment 34780
"Door"? You were lucky. When I was a lad we used to have to wash in't corridor..... :) It seems very clear that expectations have changed a lot over time. Last year I heard a young man shout loudly and angrily to an entire dorm in the spotlessly clean and expensively refitted municipal in Burgos that "this place is f****** s***" because there was no wifi. I'm not sure that it helps when grumpy old gits like myself pontificate about how much better things used to be when we had nowt - though I still reserve the right to do so now and again :)

This old man, he played one, he played knick-knack on my thumb, with a knick-knack-paddy-whack give a dog a bone, this old man came rolling home.:rolleyes:

I have edited the original post to remove all of the calls to action. We realize that people like to post negative and personal opinions about albergues, and others can always disagree. That keeps these things within the realm of a sharing of opinions. But please don't shout out or urge others to take a particular course of action, that takes things too far.

This is by far the worst alburge I have ever seen. I have walked from sjpdp to Santiago and have never seen anything this bad.

There are many other options.
Hi, yep, couldn't agree more. I stayed there a month ago and it was awful. What got up my goat though was the sign saying other albergues were full. Which as it turned out was NOT the case! Dreadful showers. To be avoided If you're the modest type.

Some people here bag on about it being just one persons opinion' and hence experience........For goodness sakes it really belittles the persons post. Well, it's not just one person now, it's two who are highlighting this dreadful place. So please take heed. The only good thing about it was that there where only 8 of us staying and the kitchen was reasonable and not too far from the supermarket.

€149,-
Sunwanderer, I think your post misses the mark and is a little unfair. What if 15 other people responded / agreed with ScottRD's experience? Would you then bury your head in the sand? It's important for pilgrims to mention their experiences- and like him, I too stayed there, and couldn't agree more with his comments. This forum is about giving helpful advice. I always welcome reviews on accommodation and in fact it was one of the main reasons I joined this great site. I'm sure there are others like me. I urge people to continue posting comments on negative experiences as I find these comments extremely helpful. I can walk up to 64 kilometers in one day and it's important for me to stay somewhere reasonable without having to 'shop' around...Luna was not a good experience and after a long day, I wish I had known!

I always feel there is a far greater good to be had from ensuring that the issues come to the attention of the operator/owner in a way that allows them to fix the problems. This is rarely achieved by postings to forums like this, where the operator/owner may not be a forum member. Using feedback forms or the feedback on sites like Gronze seems to me to be more effective mechanisms than publishing a rant here. Sure, it meets some individuals perceptions that they get a benefit from these posts, and perhaps in a very individual sense, they do. But if we, as a community, don't see the greater good in having the issues addressed, then it seems to me that we are being very short-sighted about this.

I hope that @ScottRD follows through and makes a complaint. That is a more useful first step than what we are doing now, where a few members might get small, if any benefit. If the issues are fixed, the broader community of pilgrims, far more than are members here, collectively stand to get a far greater benefit.

I stayed there in 2011 and it was OK by me. As many before me said "roof over my head", bed and some water. It was enough for me then. Next two stops I stayed at Alecrin, simply love that place but I don't know why, because it's nothing special.
BUT... if everyone would post a complaint for an albergue in few years all the albergues anywhere (not only in Negreira) on any Camino would get negative reports due to our personal standards. Where would you stay then??? Best bring your own tent. And shower and toilet ;)

It's all good, keep smiling :)

I know what you mean about Alecrin...I stopped by there in May 2016 after a more than a 40 kilometer day plus a stop in Santiago to get my Compostella...It was a long day and I didn't reach the Alburgue till after 8pm. The lady at the desk didn't speak much English but put me in the back building with only a few other pilgrims...after a quick shower I was getting ready to grab some dinner and her husband (I think) who spoke pretty good English recommended the place right down the street for dinner and walked me down there to boot...I head down there and quickly figure that it is his wife's restaurant and bar. Since she doesn't speak English he suggests some grilled pork chops salad and fries. At this point I just go with the flow. Instead of a bowl of soup I get an entire tureen. I quickly eat two bowls and wait for the pork chop. One giant one. As I am struggling to polish all that the waitress asks if I want another pork chop. I can't. I just can't. I had to save a little room because they make their own flan. I also downed two cokes. When I asked for the bill it was 8 euros. I felt beyond spoiled. I am doing the Portuguese in September, and if the timing is right, I will head to Muxia instead of Finisterra, and will stop again...good clean place and excellent hosts...the Camino does provide...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Instead of a bowl of soup I get an entire tureen. I quickly eat two bowls and wait for the pork chop. One giant one. As I am struggling to polish all that the waitress asks if I want another pork chop. I can't.
There is a place like this in Salas on the Primitivo. When the tureen arrives the suggestion not to go for a second servong usually also does. You know you will be rolling back to your albergue! Do you remember the name of the place?

There is a place like this in Salas on the Primitivo. When the tureen arrives the suggestion not to go for a second servong usually also does. You know you will be rolling back to your albergue! Do you remember the name of the place?
I think it's actually up the main street, the first restaurant on the left side. Pizzeria Bocateria Alecrin:
https://www.google.si/maps/place/Pi...8f197fb79!8m2!3d42.9097302!4d-8.7329889?hl=sl

Been there but just for a beer because Albergue Alecrin has nice little fully equipped kitchen. But what I saw on others plates were huge portions :)

The albergue was Alecrin in Negreiro....a bar/restaurant about two blocks down from there was where I ate...the same woman who assigned me my bunk was at the bar...her daughter was the one who served the food...one of the best meals I had on the Camino, with as much food as I wanted...very gracious hosts...to be honest the soup in itself could have been a meal...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know what you mean about Alecrin...I stopped by there in May 2016 after a more than a 40 kilometer day plus a stop in Santiago to get my Compostella...It was a long day and I didn't reach the Alburgue till after 8pm. The lady at the desk didn't speak much English but put me in the back building with only a few other pilgrims...after a quick shower I was getting ready to grab some dinner and her husband (I think) who spoke pretty good English recommended the place right down the street for dinner and walked me down there to boot...I head down there and quickly figure that it is his wife's restaurant and bar. Since she doesn't speak English he suggests some grilled pork chops salad and fries. At this point I just go with the flow. Instead of a bowl of soup I get an entire tureen. I quickly eat two bowls and wait for the pork chop. One giant one. As I am struggling to polish all that the waitress asks if I want another pork chop. I can't. I just can't. I had to save a little room because they make their own flan. I also downed two cokes. When I asked for the bill it was 8 euros. I felt beyond spoiled. I am doing the Portuguese in September, and if the timing is right, I will head to Muxia instead of Finisterra, and will stop again...good clean place and excellent hosts...the Camino does provide...
Welcome to the forum :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sunwanderer, I think your post misses the mark and is a little unfair. What if 15 other people responded / agreed with ScottRD's experience? Would you then bury your head in the sand? It's important for pilgrims to mention their experiences- and like him, I too stayed there, and couldn't agree more with his comments. This forum is about giving helpful advice. I always welcome reviews on accommodation and in fact it was one of the main reasons I joined this great site. I'm sure there are others like me. I urge people to continue posting comments on negative experiences as I find these comments extremely helpful. I can walk up to 64 kilometers in one day and it's important for me to stay somewhere reasonable without having to 'shop' around...Luna was not a good experience and after a long day, I wish I had known!

...misses the mark...
I don't understand what the mark is that I'm missing.

...a little unfair...
Sorry - you may not have understood my post. There is nothing I said that was unfair.
I did not say that the number of responses should be limited (to 15 or less?); I did not say that others couldn't agree with the post; I did not say that negative posts shouldn't be allowed - I encourage them; nor I did not say that negative posts should be ignored - there is nothing to be gained by that and much to lose.
  • 2 shower heads next to each other - no divider, No privacy - this is helpful information
  • in a filthy dank stall - this is helpful information
  • I have attached some images for you - this is helpful information
  • ...avoid Albergue LUA in NEGREIRA... - this is not helpful information; his decision process and criteria may be different than mine
  • Do not stay here. - this is not helpful information; his decision process and criteria may be different than mine
  • ...avoid this place... - this is not helpful information; his decision process and criteria may be different than mine

Some rude posts have been deleted. Some of us mods are starting to feel like the manners police. It doesn't take a lot of reflection to see that some of these disagreements are personal, have nothing to do with the topic at hand, and would be much more appropriately handled in a PM. I think that most forum members appreciate that we are trying to maintain civility, so please stop with the insults.

I'm going to close the thread. I have just re-read the entire string and see that if you cut out all the nasty back and forth, there is a range of opinion about the albergue, some good and some bad. The problem is that the helpful information gets lost in all the tangential snarkiness.

I hope that in the future these "albergue reviews" can stick within the guidelines we've suggested -- give opinions, give examples of what you are talking about, etc. Then leave it for the reader to decide how to use what you have posted, whether to believe you, whether to agree/disagree based on personal experience, etc. But no need to turn your opinions into a directive. That just crosses the line.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

yesterday a very dear friend passed away, a wonderful lady I have known since I started working in the Middle East 15 years ago (she was Muslim- only writing that as it was strange to others she...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back