• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue meals on the Francés

crhutch

Time of past OR future Camino
(2010) March/April SJPP to Santiago and hence to Finisterre
(2016) Hospitalero Grañón 15-31 March
(2016) April Logroño to Santiago
(2017) Hospitalero Zamora 15-31 March
(2017) Hospilatero Emaus, Burgos 1-14 April
Those of you who walked the Camino Frances this past year, did you find any Albergues or hostels that provided food and or breakfast? I’d love to hear your experiences.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All albergues are unique establishments, run independently and set up in the way that makes sense to the operators. Some have an in-house Bar that provides meals for all comers, including the local tradesmen. Some have a Bar just for guests. Some have no food services at all, but will direct you to a place nearby where you can get food. Some have vending machines. A few have no local food services at all, but you can cook your own food in their kitchen. Some serve communal meals. Some will serve a hot breakfast, some just cold cereal left out the night before. Some have nothing, and you have to walk a few km before you encounter an open bar for your initial caffeine jolt of the day. You get the idea.

Don't worry about starving, you won't. They know that every pilgrim will need a hearty meal at night, and something to start the motor running in the morning. You will be advised how it works at your albergue when you arrive. The Camino will provide.

Buen Camino

RickM has written in the post above a fine overview of the eating possibilities available on the camino.

However in the same way that you carry hidden "emergency" cash do carry simple non perishable "extra" food.

Spain is filled with delicious stops, but all are not always affordable nor open; the one food shop in town may be closed on the same day as the only resto/bar. No joke.

On past winter caminos especially during storms when I stopped in small and remote albergues far from any supply source novice pilgrims often staggered in wet, cold and hungry. They may have had the best gear but carried no food!

Of course I shared; a chunk of cheese and wedge of sausage with a few dried abricots can be ambrosia in such a setting. A smile returned by a new friend over a simple meal is one of the Camino's many joys.

Next morning after shared tea, cookies and chocolate for our common breakfast we would set out together. At the first open shop I would re-stock those basics and usually the other pilgrim would buy their necessary provisions.

Go prepared and Carpe diem.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I had two communal dinners prepared by the Hospitaleros and 2 communal dinners prepared by the group of pilgrims. All were delicious.

The first communal was in Burgos in the Albergue Emaús, second in Grañon in the Albergue Juan Bautista.
After that I had a dinner prepared by pilgrims in Esperitu Santo in Carrion and on my last evening in A Rúa (a bit like camping).

Breakfasts I took only in Hospital de Orbigo, all other days I walked off and take a breakfast on the way in one of the many Cafés. But many of the Albergues I used offered some kind of breakfast but I walked in summertime and wanted to be on my way before the sunrise.

BC
Roland

Part of our daily routine during our four caminos was to purchase "trail snacks" each afternoon that we'd carry with us the following day. These included fruit, cheese, chorizo, nuts, bread. During our last two caminos, we stayed in private rooms every night. About half the time, the rate we paid included breakfast. If breakfast was not available, we'd grab a bite on our way out of town, or walk an hour or so and stop for cafe con leche and tortilla espanola. Most nights we ate at a nearby restaurant. One thing we learned is that albergues have different practices regarding meals and food. A few times we tried to have dinner at a nearby albergue and were told that dinner was available only to pilgrims that were staying there. One time we found a small shop that had food and snacks available in the lobby and we weren't able to purchase anything there unless we were staying there. On the other hand, one place we stayed at was overcharging for a bottle of wine, so we walked to a nearby albergue and they were happy to sell us a bottle at a good price. Some towns do not have any tiendas or almentaciones to buy food. If we are getting close to our destination and see a store, we buy there and carry the items to our destination. Bob

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Those of you who walked the Camino Frances this past year, did you find any Albergues or hostels that provided food and or breakfast? I’d love to hear your experiences.
Echoing what everyone else said - one piece of advice though. If you’re starting in St Jean de Pied definitely bring some food. No restaurants on the Pyrenees after the first stop (that’s like 2 hours in). There was a food truck mercifully toward the top, but I would have brought food had I known. Sandwich/banana enough.

I walked the CF last week August to first week October 2021. Most kitchens were closed although a lot had a microwave even if the kitchen was closed. Some kitchens were open. I had some wonderful meals in Albergues other days could be a challenge but I never went hungry. I waited between 1 & 2 hours in the morning for breakfast and always carried a few snacks.

Echoing what everyone else said - one piece of advice though. If you’re starting in St Jean de Pied definitely bring some food. No restaurants on the Pyrenees after the first stop (that’s like 2 hours in). There was a food truck mercifully toward the top, but I would have brought food had I known. Sandwich/banana enough.
Same lack via the Valcarlos route.

From SJPdP to Valcarlos via Arnéguy there is a large cafe at the French/Spanish border.

However From Valcarlos up to Roncesvalles monastery there are no services nor potabile water. Buy any trail snacks that you might want walking when you arrive in Valcarlos so that you can leave early from Valcarlos before the shops are open.

Be prepared!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I walked in September and October of 2021 and chose some of my albergues based on who had group meals. Some of my favorites: Orisson communal dinner, Uterga (Camino do Perdon), Cirauqui (albergue Maralotx, served in the basement wine cellar), Estella (Agora hostel had a fabulous breakfast but no dinner), Granon (La Casa de las Sonrisas, a donativo that cooked us a big lentil and potato dinner), Hornillos (Albergue Meeting Point made a huge pan of paella for 20!), Castrojeriz (albergue Ultreia, the wife cooked for everyone and they did a tour of their wine cellar after dinner, very nice), Trabadelo (Casa Susi, excellent dinner together!). Many more had attached restaurants that enabled individual tables to fill with perigrinos together and offered "seatings" at reasonable perigrino times like 7 pm!

I always start the morning carrying water, a banana, an orange, bag of gorp (nuts and fruit), and cheese. I may eat the food, but not if I find Spanish tortilla with coffee along the way, or a bocadilla. Uneaten lunch can be part of a shared dinner if nothing else is available. I also carry several one euro coins. Some villages without a bar/cafe or tienda open may have some vending machines along the Camino. Most guide books warn you when nothing is available in the next stage. Pay attention. Many private albergues serve a simple, inexpensive and delicious dinner. Breakfast is spartan but good enough. Buen Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Perhaps I'm confused or missing something, but given the OP's bio, I didn't take it that they were asking for advice, but rather, just asking about experiences from those who walked last year; perhaps because of the Covid restrictions?

I walked the Camino Frances (2nd time) from Sept 9th to October 21st, last year. I started in Roncesvalles, walked to Santiago, and then after a couple of days rest, on to Muxia and Finisterre. My personal experience was that of 33 nights spent in albergues, 18 of them did provide an option to buy and eat dinner on premises, and 10 of the 18 were not open to the general public and were communal dinners at a set time. None of the 33 allowed use of the kitchen to prepare your own meal, but a few did allow you to bring a meal (like a bocadillo or similar) into the common area to eat it. Standout meals for me were the communal meals at Cautro Cantones in Belorado, Molino Galochas in Villavente, and the completely vegetarian dinner at Ecologio El Beso, in A Balsa (just outside Triacastela). There were 3 albergues where the food itself was just not very good.

In terms of breakfast, about a third of the albergues provided a 'breakfast' to purchase of toast and coffee, maybe a packaged pastry. The vast majority of the time I elected to walk first and but 'breakfast' at the first bar/town we came to.

Sidenote: Though beds were limited to 50% capacity because of Covid regulations, communal meals were spent mostly sitting together, side by side. 🤷‍♂️

I walked in September and October of 2021 and chose some of my albergues based on who had group meals. Some of my favorites: Orisson communal dinner, Uterga (Camino do Perdon), Cirauqui (albergue Maralotx, served in the basement wine cellar), Estella (Agora hostel had a fabulous breakfast but no dinner), Granon (La Casa de las Sonrisas, a donativo that cooked us a big lentil and potato dinner), Hornillos (Albergue Meeting Point made a huge pan of paella for 20!), Castrojeriz (albergue Ultreia, the wife cooked for everyone and they did a tour of their wine cellar after dinner, very nice), Trabadelo (Casa Susi, excellent dinner together!). Many more had attached restaurants that enabled individual tables to fill with perigrinos together and offered "seatings" at reasonable perigrino times like 7 pm!
I stayed at Meeting Point in Hornillos on September 23rd, and had the paella there, too! It was pretty good!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My husband who was a hospitalero on the meseta during the fall said that some facilities were fined for offering meals due to restrictions. Private facilities at times ignored the risk. Each region was different due to Covid rates. We hope it will be different this summer.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back