• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue near pamplona during running of the bulls

normandog

patti
Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014
Hello all, I am new to this site, and am looking for some practical information on finding accomodation just before pamplona at the beginning of July during the running of the bulls. I am cycling from SJPP starting on July 8th, and am looking to do about 80 km my first day. That leaves me near pamplona, but i am looking to avoid the craziness (or is it worth venturing into the heart of?) and am looking for advice on accommodation. I am worried that the people at the festivities will spill out for miles and miles around pamplona and that accommodation will not be found. This is my first camino, and I love the thought of just letting it be... but will this be an issue on day one? Does anyone know of anything not too rowdy on the outskirts that might do me? Will the aubergues be open to both pilgrims and festival participants? I have enjoyed reading all previous threads, living through your journeys and learning from your experiences. Thanks in advance!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
For more on Pamplona albergues during St Fermin see this earlier Forum thread
and check out this alternate possibility.

You might avoid the city totally by biking to Tiebas to join the Camino Aragones. Tiebas has two albergues. See them on the Eroski site >>
After Tiebas bike route NA-601 to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate where the albergue is now unfortunately closed and then 4k further to Puente la Reina/Gares to meet the Camino Frances.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

For more on Pamplona albergues during St Fermin see this earlier Forum thread
and check out this alternate possibility.

You might avoid the city totally by biking to Tiebas to join the Camino Aragones. Tiebas has two albergues. See them on the Eroski site >>
After Tiebas bike route NA-601 to the splendid circular Romanesque church at Eunate where the albergue is now unfortunately closed and then 4k further to Puente la Reina/Gares to meet the Camino Frances.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Thanks Margaret.... I will attempt to look up Tiebas on the web....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I think Tiebas is not the best solution, it is a detour from Camino Frances and it is 87,5 kms from SJPdP, which seems a little bit long stage for the first day... I recommend the municipal albergue in Huarte (68,3 kms from JSPdP) which is almost on Camino Francés and they accept cyclists. And they are open during San Fermin!
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/albergue-municipal-de-huarte
thanks Istvan... the site indicates that they do not take reservations... and I am worried to leave this first stop not booked due to San Fermin... do you have any ideas for places that I can book ahead? Thanks for your help.
Patti

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello all, I am new to this site, and am looking for some practical information on finding accomodation just before pamplona at the beginning of July during the running of the bulls. I am cycling from SJPP starting on July 8th, and am looking to do about 80 km my first day. That leaves me near pamplona, but i am looking to avoid the craziness (or is it worth venturing into the heart of?) and am looking for advice on accommodation. I am worried that the people at the festivities will spill out for miles and miles around pamplona and that accommodation will not be found. This is my first camino, and I love the thought of just letting it be... but will this be an issue on day one? Does anyone know of anything not too rowdy on the outskirts that might do me? Will the aubergues be open to both pilgrims and festival participants? I have enjoyed reading all previous threads, living through your journeys and learning from your experiences. Thanks in advance!

Trinidad de Arre about 6 km before Pamplona. It is beautiful and the priest that runs the Alburgue is lovely. It is an old pilgrim hospital, located behind the basilica church Convento de la Trinidad near the bridge. Lovely garden.....

As mentioned above by Trude and referenced on the Eroski site the albergue in Trinidad de Arre DOES take reservations -- -- Reserva de plaza en el albergue: Sí
I have often stayed here and in season enjoyed sitting in the garden and always, the gracious hospitality of the Marist fathers. Here is their web site with contact info

Also as I posted above as referenced on Erosiki the private albergue in Tiebas, El Rincon de los Sabios DOES take reservations -- Reserva de plaza en el albergue: Sí
Here is their web with contact info.

Good luck finding a place,

MM

Trinidad de Arre about 6 km before Pamplona. It is beautiful and the priest that runs the Alburgue is lovely. It is an old pilgrim hospital, located behind the basilica church Convento de la Trinidad near the bridge. Lovely garden.....
that sounds lovely trude, I am going to look into it. This camino is not only a pilgrimage for the body, mind and spirit, it is a venturing forth into the brave new world of computer search engines, webpages, blogs etc... I am sure pushing the envelope with my limited skills. Thanks for the info.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As mentioned above by Trude and referenced on the Eroski site the albergue in Trinidad de Arre DOES take reservations -- -- Reserva de plaza en el albergue: Sí
I have often stayed here and in season enjoyed sitting in the garden and always, the gracious hospitality of the Marist fathers. Here is their web site with contact info

Also as I posted above as referenced on Erosiki the private albergue in Tiebas, El Rincon de los Sabios DOES take reservations -- Reserva de plaza en el albergue: Sí
Here is their web with contact info.

Good luck finding a place,

MM
thanks again margaret... you seem to know what you are doing here. May I ask for clarification of the Erosiki site. My computer skills are definitely nothing to brag about... but when I type this in, I come up with many things in foreign languages. Is this site supposed to be an alternate camino resource? Is there an english version?
Thanks for the help...and look out... if I am this high needs before the adventure begins... what next?
Patti

Patti,

Eroski is a large Spanish language consumer site covering many varied topics - ie food. health, travel, etc. Here is the link to their list in Spanish for ALBERGUES on the various caminos. The list begins with the Camino Frances and is divided into etapas or sections for each camino.

The marist albergue in TRINIDAD DE ARRE is found in Etapa 3. Click on the link to see a basic reference and on the orange box on that page to see more info including the fact that they take reservations-- Reserva de plaza en el albergue: Sí,

The private albergue in TIEBAS which I mentioned is found in the Eroski list for the Camino Argones, Etapa 6

There are several on-line lists of camino albergues; some are more complete than others, some are easier to use. Other useful Spanish listings are those of Gronze.

You can use a translation program such as Google's to go from any language to another quite easily. The syntax might be a bit 'lumpy' but the meaning is usually clear.

Most importantly here on the Forum there is a comprehensive listing in English of ALBERGUES FOR THE CAMINO FRANCES . When the link loads scroll to the bottom of the text to the phrase Day by Day. Each of the 32 lines provides further info for a specific section of the route.

Happy research,

Margaret Meredith

Maybe I'm being a little naive, but surely the San Fermin crowds won't have too much of a bearing on the albergues, since they are specifically for pilgrims with the credencial? Or is it that more pilgrims time their arrival to coincide with the festival period?

I'll be starting from St Jean on July 3 this year and would expect to arrive in Pamplona on July 6, day 1 of the festival. Depending on how you look at it, this is either a very good or a not so good thing!

I stayed in Pamplona previously when I walked the Camino Frances in 2012, and very much enjoyed my night there, though the longer I walked that year the more I came to find cities and large towns vaguely disruptive to the Camino vibe, or at least my Camino vibe!

Plans are always fluid on the Camino, but as of now I've been thinking about maybe taking a food and drinks break there but walking on through Pamplona, perhaps stopping for the night at Cizur Menor. If the San Fermin crowds impact upon albergue availability in the heart of the city would the same problem be likely to pertain at Cizur Menor? If memory serves, it's only about 5 km on from the municipal albergue in the heart of the city.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back