• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Opening Dates

Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I understand all albergues will be open after Easter.
However, those of you who have walked in early March - how much trouble did you have finding lodging?
I'd like to walk this Spring, but it needs to be early, like late February or early March.
I could stay 3, 5, 6 weeks.
I don't really care WHERE I walk, which route, so I'm open to those suggestions too.
I usually fly into Madrid.
I'd prefer to walk shorter than usual stages, due to this pesky morton's neuroma.
Suggestions?

I'm also open to volunteering a couple of weeks during that time.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
However, those of you who have walked in early March - how much trouble did you have finding lodging?
I walked in early March in 2015 on the Frances from SJPP. I was surprised at the end of the first day to arrive and find Roncesvalles almost full (not the main accommodation at that time of year, of course); I had walked form SJ in one day, but could have stopped in Valcarlos, which seemed very quiet. The next day things were full by evening in the albergue in Zubiri too. Zabaldika was closed, but Pamplona was open for business and after that more places were open than not (unfortunately not the albergue in Tosantos).

All the way along at first (before Pamplona) places to eat were thin on the ground, so it pays to be prepared and self-sufficient as far as lunch is concerned.

I wouldn't know about other caminos in March, as these days my schedule requires summer walking.

I'd prefer to walk shorter than usual stages, due to this pesky morton's neuroma.
Suggestions?
The Vasco to Santo Domingo or the Via de Bayona can be done in bite-sized chunks - this year @SabineP and I walked the later from Irun to Burgos in 12 days (one of those days was a rest day in Haro). It was wonderful walking (and wonderful company)!
Even the Invierno can be done in relatively short stages. I took 13 days for that, not because I had to, but because I wanted to.
Each of these walks has relatively few albergues, but pensions (which would more likely be open in late winter) were astonishingly cheap especially on the Invierno, sometimes only 20 Euros, not that much more than a private albergue on the Frances.
So...why not Via de Bayona-Frances-Invierno?

I can kind of agree with above suggestion but maybe you don't want winter conditions which in late February still might be in the North. What about Levante? Pretty flat, plenty of albergues on moderately long stages, possible hops on trains/buses, a lot of history, some beautiful architecture etc. And once you come to Toledo or Avila there's half an hour bus ride back to Madrid.

Just for kicks... When I feel down in the gloomy winter days I look up the weather for Valencia and many times in January they had 18C!!! Auch ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'd like to walk this Spring, but it needs to be early, like late February or early March.
I don't really care WHERE I walk, which route, so I'm open to those suggestions too.
Suggestions?

Annie, as you have already flagged that you are going to lead another group on camino, why not start in Pamplona or Puente la Reina, and touch base, literally, so your muscle memory gets exercised before you are waving the flag? You know very well that you can organise stages with ease on the Cf, and you will not be hidebound if you need to take a bus to protect your feet. If you do want to serve as a volunteer, that would be something to take up with either your local Chapter (am I saying this right?) or with hosvol in Logroño. The commitment is 15 days, and even after some years, i never get the dates right... i hope that it all works out well, and will be specially hoping for a happy camper group for you.

Most, maybe, but not all. Two that come immediately to mind are San Bol and San Anton in past years. If you were thinking os using either of these it would pay to confirm when they will open.

Yes, I contacted San Bol and they are not yet open in March. Thanks Doug.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Annie, as you have already flagged that you are going to lead another group on camino, why not start in Pamplona or Puente la Reina,

Yes, I'm looking at Pamplona now and looking to find which albergues are open/closed. The Levante is an interesting option as well, though I"m wondering about lodging in March. As far as volunteering, I've worked as a hospitalera at San Anton and I know quite a few folks along the route, so I'm sure I can find something if I decide to do that. Thanks :)

In February I have walked the Plata, late March/early April the Lana from Alicante to Cuenca and also the Primitivo from Oviedo.

Late March/early April I have also walked the Levante from Toledo to Zamora. Generally I must say that I was lucky with the weather.

In February I have walked the Plata, late March/early April the Lana from Alicante to Cuenca and also the Primitivo from Oviedo.

Late March/early April I have also walked the Levante from Toledo to Zamora. Generally I must say that I was lucky with the weather.

Did you find most of the albergues on the VDLP open in February?
I wouldn't mind doing that route again, but if there are long distances with no albergues, I'd be in trouble with this danged foot. I'm thinking we'll probably just walk from Pamplona to Sahagun, then backwards down the Madrid route again. I'm doing this mostly to test my foot and for my MCS. A different route that I haven't walked would be interesting, but for now, health is my main goal. And with round trip tickets under $500 this time of year, it's perfect!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Suggestions?

Walked the last two weeks of March in 2013. started in Pamplona and finished in Castrojeriz. I had no problems with finding albergues open. Weather was fine too until Hontanas to Castrojeriz when it rained incessantly. The meseta before Hontanas was ankle deep mud that made progress very slow

Thinking of the Camino Portuguese in Late March preferably the littoral and coastal routes. Any albergues open then? I have messaged some but so far no reply. Thank you

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
So many Caminos, so little time!
I go through this process every year trying to figure out where to walk. This one, or that one??? I should just move to Spain.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.