• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Albergue openings — Camino Francés — Summer 2020

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A post from another thread from @CasaBarbadelo — open on July 1.

Hello dear pilgrims, it is a very difficult year for everyone and after canceling more than 90% of the reservations and wishing the first thing that you all feel well, we hope to see you soon on the Camino. Just inform that Casa Barbadelo, on the French Way (3 km after Sarria) opens its doors from July 1 of this year. www.barbadelo.com, BUEN CAMINO A TODOS.

From another thread, thanks to @Isca-camigo and @Katharina. The parochial albergue in Grañon will not open this summer.

a link up to San Juan Batistuta in Granon, they have said they will not be opening this summer. They feel because of their responsibilities to the elderly of the parish they do not want to be a risk to them.
It's worth reading their comments. Here is a Google Translate translation of their announcement on https://www.facebook.com/pg/alberguegranon.larioja/posts/:

To the pilgrims who are thinking of doing the French Camino this summer, we inform you that the parochial albergue of San Juan Bautista in Grañón will remain closed all summer for the time being until October, depending on how the pandemic evolves.

We are a parish, and for this reason, our priority right now are the older inhabitants of the town of Grañón, they are also the great heroes of this pandemic, those who have suffered the most, and our duty is to protect them and we cannot risk any outbreak nor any contagion. [...] We must not disappoint them.

We are aware that there is a great thirst and desire to make a pilgrimage, but we want to encourage pilgrims to think before they start walking this summer, not only about the risk they are running, but about the risk and danger that they themselves can put to the older people in the towns, we ask you to think about whether it is worthwhile to make the pilgrimage in these conditions, when the Camino will always be there. If you decide to walk, take all possible precautions.

We are also aware that there are private albergues and casas rurales in Grañon who have made a strong investment and who need to accommodate pilgrims to pay mortgages and cover expenses. We don't want to be their competition and these businesses are the ones that must survive right now.

Let us hope we can reopen again and provide the hospitality that we like, not only offering a bed or a sleeping mat, but with a lot of human warmth and a big hug. As the last words written by a pilgrim in the guestbook say: "Without expectations, but with great confidence".

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hello dear pilgrims, it is a very difficult year for everyone and after canceling more than 90% of the reservations and wishing the first thing that you all feel well, we hope to see you soon on the Camino. Just inform that Casa Barbadelo, on the French Way (3 km after Sarria) opens its doors from July 1 of this year. www.barbadelo.com, BUEN CAMINO A TODOS.
@CasaBarbadelo - yours was one of my favorites on the Francés. It's like a resort for pilgrims! I stayed there in 2016 & 2017. I was fascinated with the rooms with displays of old sewing machines and cameras in the restaurant. And I noticed an old Camino brochure from the 1950s in one of the displays. I wish that I had taken a picture of it.
Screenshot_20200606-144535_FindPenguins.jpg

Albergue La Finca in Población de Campos posted on their Facebook page that they have opened their door.

They will not have to change their "bunks" at all to conform, because each one is so separate from the others.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We currently have an October return to the CF planned. Well before COVID, we had made reservations at albergues, hostals, and small hotels along The Way. Although we’ve made some changes regarding this trip, we’re still hoping to walk from Burgos to Astorga this year. I did need to change my reservation for a private room at the Albergue San Antonio de Pedua in Villar de Mazarife by one night. Jose Luis got right back to my inquiry with this response regarding if and when they might reopen this year.

“Hola William, buenos dias. A dia de hoy, 7 de junio, todos los albergues del Camino permanecemos cerrados, y con expectativas poco favorables de que esto cambia a corto o medio plazo. Nuestro albergue en concreto tiene canceladas todas las reservas tomadas en junio-julio-agosto, y muy probablemente nos veamos obligados tambien a suspender septiembre. Aqui en España, la (des)organizacion por parte de los dirigentes esta siendo muy caótica y contradictoria desde el principio de marzo, y incluso han condicionado la entrada al pais de visitantes, hablandose de cuarentenas obligatorias para ellos. Como ves, la cosa no pinta nada bien, por lo que en estos momentos no puedo considerar reserva alguna.”

As you can see, October might be as early as they open. As Villar de Mazarife is a popular stopping point for pilgrims and as there are only three albergues that I’m familiar with in this small community, accommodations might be difficult to come by earlier in the summer season unless conditions significantly change. Having stayed here in 2016, they offered an excellent Pilgrim’s dinner of vegetarian paella, I certainly hope that it will be possible to return in October.

Albergue Emaus in Burgos will also remain closed until October https://www.facebook.com/albergueemaus/
Also worthwhile reading their post.
Here's the text of their post:

To all pilgrims who are planning to walk/bike on the French Camino this summer, we wish to inform you that the Albergue de Peregrinos EMAUS in the parish of San José Obrero in Burgos, Spain will remain closed all summer from now until October. This decision may be reviewed later depending on how the Covid-19 pandemic evolves. During this time, the municipal hostel as well as a few private ones can provide hospitality in Burgos.

Being that the Albergue is located in the parish building and shares hallways, staircases, and other common areas with clergy, volunteers and our many older parishioners, our first duty at this time is to protect them and not risk any outbreak/contagion.

We know that a lot of people are eager to make a pilgrimage this summer but we encourage you to carefully consider the risk of contagion you would be exposing yourself to and, as importantly, the risk and danger to older people in the villages and towns that you would be crossing. We ask you to think about whether it is worthwhile to make a pilgrimage under these conditions, when the Camino will always be there. In the end, if you decide to go ahead this summer, please take all possible precautions.

Let's hope we can reopen soon and provide once again our Christian hospitality to pilgrims.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here's the text of their post:

To all pilgrims who are planning to walk/bike on the French Camino this summer, we wish to inform you that the Albergue de Peregrinos EMAUS in the parish of San José Obrero in Burgos, Spain will remain closed all summer from now until October. This decision may be reviewed later depending on how the Covid-19 pandemic evolves. During this time, the municipal hostel as well as a few private ones can provide hospitality in Burgos.

Being that the Albergue is located in the parish building and shares hallways, staircases, and other common areas with clergy, volunteers and our many older parishioners, our first duty at this time is to protect them and not risk any outbreak/contagion.

We know that a lot of people are eager to make a pilgrimage this summer but we encourage you to carefully consider the risk of contagion you would be exposing yourself to and, as importantly, the risk and danger to older people in the villages and towns that you would be crossing. We ask you to think about whether it is worthwhile to make a pilgrimage under these conditions, when the Camino will always be there. In the end, if you decide to go ahead this summer, please take all possible precautions.

Let's hope we can reopen soon and provide once again our Christian hospitality to pilgrims.

Wise words from Marie Noelle and colleagues. Delighted to see that they raised the funds they needed to plug the financial gap they were facing.

@CasaBarbadelo - yours was one of my favorites on the Francés. It's like a resort for pilgrims! I stayed there in 2016 & 2017. I was fascinated with the rooms with displays of old sewing machines and cameras in the restaurant. And I noticed an old Camino brochure from the 1950s in one of the displays. I wish that I had taken a picture of it.
View attachment 76458
Hi Trecile, Thank you very much for remembering us and we are delighted that you liked our hostel. Yes, there are countless interesting antiques on the Camino de Santiago. The next time you come you take the picture of the old Camino sign. Greetings and thank you very much.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Found this enlightening on this subject.

Hi Michael!

Thank you so very much, that was really nice of you! And yes, we are all well so far, thank God, trying to follow recommendations as much as possible. Hope you and your loved ones are healthy too! 😀 I'm still in Sweden, my home country, after coming to spend the winter here.

Right now I'm thinking it's not possible for me to open Casa Licerio this year. At the time being I have read so much contradictory and incomplete information on procedures applied by Spain as opening up. I mean, the fact that authorities will take away the 2 weeks of quarantine for European travelers from July 1st does not necessarily imply that they - or any other other foreigners - can travel freely to and within Spain from July 1st. I'm really confused about the freedom of travel and I know that many feel the same. From what people are posting on bloggs, on FB and other media, I fear the majority of my guests will wait before coming back to the Camino and are choosing to come in 2021 instead.

On the other hand, there is the issue of sanitary regulations, and those are one of the most important reasons why I will wait until next year to reopen for reservations. Not only would I have to use specific expensive cleansers and disinfectants, but also time-consuming sanitation routines, and I doubt I can afford either. Then there is the bigger issue of limiting the maximum occupancy to 50% of the house's capacity, which is still in force. Having only 4 rooms in total to rent out, I do not think it is feasible nor profitable to open 2020 for just 2 rooms a day, and that is if I get full occupancy !

I am really really sorry for this, and I truly hope we all are able to return to Spain and the Camino as soon as possible. For me and Casa Licerio that means March 1st 2021.

Wishing you all the best, hoping to see you soon and sending my best wishes of health and well-being to you all!

Best regards,

Maria Cecilia Widell-Bauder
Casa Licerio

I have talked to Aitor who is the owner of my favourite albergue MILPES in Ribadiso and he says he may open in July if there are pilgrims but said that he had not received clear guidance yet on what infection control measures are required. He suggests that you should always phone ahead which I think is good advice for all albergues at the moment.

View attachment 76458
I'm envious. I stayed in Casa Barbadelo with my son in 2016 (just checked the credencial to confirm) and we were never shown all of the old sewing machines.

(although this is a digression from the thread. Feel free to remove if inappropriate.)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm envious. I stayed in Casa Barbadelo with my son in 2016 (just checked the credencial to confirm) and we were never shown all of the old sewing machines.

(although this is a digression from the thread. Feel free to remove if inappropriate.)
I wasn't shown the sewing machines - they just happened to be in a back room (maybe a banquet room?) of the restaurant that a friend and I happened to wander into.

Albergue de Roncesvalles: accepts booking for stays from 1 July 2020 onwards (announced on website)
There is now an announcement in a FB group, labelled "it's official" that says that the Roncesvalles albergue opens on 2 July 2020 but only with 90 beds instead of their usual 183+ beds. I can't see this on the website of the albergue itself, though.

However, the website of the Albergue de Roncesvalles has this announcement: Special accommodation from June 19 to July 2 for pilgrims at La Posada de Roncesvalles. Price of € 20 including disposable sheets. Mandatory sleeping bag and your own towel. Thanks for your understanding!! I think their usual price for a room is around € 70.

I dip into a number of FB pages or groups from time to time. There are definitely a few pilgrims walking on the Camino Frances now. No matter what we write here. 🤔🤭

Last edited:
From june 19 to july 2 is only for spanish people that start the way at Roncesvalles. Foreign people cannot go to Spain untill 1rst of july the border is closed untill this date

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Tourist Department of Navarre announces that of the 80 hostels listed, public and religious hostels will not open this year as for private hostels those that will open will do it at half capacity

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Found this list of Alberque openings from Roncesvalles to Logrono on Gronze
A useful list no doubt but, as someone else already observed on Gronze, more pensions and hotels than albergues. One could add to this list the Hotel Akerreta just after Larraosaña and also popular with pilgrims because there is no other accommodation there. No dormitory beds. Wonderful imho but not exactly on the cheap side. They start taking bookings from 22 July 2020 onwards.

Have a booking there for 1st September... hopefully we will see you then....coming from Dublin Ireland

Albergue La Finca in Población de Campos posted on their Facebook page that they have opened their door.

They will not have to change their "bunks" at all to conform, because each one is so separate from the others.
That’s good to hear.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Hello hope you are all safe and well. We are booked in with you for 1st September. Hopefully see you then. We are travelling from Dublin Ireland.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

It is true, on the morning of the 6th , Anita and I went to see our friends Fernando and Maria José, owners of La Finca, it was the first day that they opened the bar-restaurant and we wanted to see them and have a drink in their beautiful garden, and we told them that we, in our Luz de Frómista albergue, we already had reservation requests for July and August and that we had news that there were already pilgrims preparing their way, and that we are going to open although with a capacity reduced to a third and with all the security measures. This news made them happy and they told us that they would open it too.

I was very happy when they told us that possibly they would also open the hostel. They are excellent people, and I wish them the best of luck and success on the Camino, they deserve it.

Another thing, you may know these videos, but I put them because I think they are two of the best videos about the Camino that I have seen, and they bring back very good memories.

And it was the author of the first video, Oscar Torrecilla, (I don't know him personally yet) who called me to book in August, and insisted on opening, since in principle we did not plan to open until October; we thought about it carefully and we thought it was possible to open, as long as the situation does not change negatively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwsTSe-E-fg&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR3ldP2EGJqC5idFpTUJJRe6l7QYl98asIumzrsicZSqL5J85v9iop2cgzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NqgAzEoKl8

A newly updated list, mainly albergues from Roncesvalles to Burgos, is accessible on One Drive. The list owner says s/he will continue to contact albergues and to update the list to include the section Burgos to Leon.

The list is here.

See also the more recent entries in the thread Listado albergues Camino Francés actualizable on the Gronze.com forum.

Below is a file of the accommodations of Camino Frances and Aragones updated to 18/06/2020 (source: Tourism Department of Govierno foral de Navarra)

Attachments

• Albergues tras COVID 19. v3.18.06.2020.pdf
    103.3 KB · Views: 79
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The network of municipalities of the Camino de Santiago have created an app and an interactive map that will be regularly updated and shows open albergues. Click on the screenshots below to enlarge or go to https://www.amcsantiago.com/map/ for the interactive map.

Note: a red circle, a blue circle or a yellow-blue circle means that an albergue is open.

Map beginning.jpg

Map end.jpg

Keys:
Legend.jpg

Last edited:

€46,-
The network of municipalities of the Camino de Santiago have created an app and an interactive map that will be regularly updated and shows open albergues. Click on the screenshots below to enlarge or go to https://www.amcsantiago.com/map/ for the interactive map.

Note: a red circle, a blue circle or a yellow-blue circle means that an albergue is open.

View attachment 77991

View attachment 77992

Keys:
View attachment 77990

Given the group, only municipals are shown.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi I'm debating with myself if I will walk the Frances starting in the first week in August possibly but not definitely branching off on the Salvador and continuing on the Primitivo. I am experienced having completed a few of the different Caminos. Walked the Frances twice before once starting in Le Puy. I don't believe I'll be put off by social distancing or wearing a mask or the measures regarding rucksack etc.but it's the availability of Albergues that concerns me. I would very much appreciate if someone who is on or just finished the Frances could let me know the status of albergues .

It turns out that I did take a picture of the 1954 Guia moderna de Peregrinos y Turistas!
I took this picture 3 years ago on August 2nd.

1954 Camino Guide (2) small.jpg

We are starting to get a lot of posts announcing openings along the different caminos. In an attempt to keep information easily accessible, we are going to start a separate thread for each camino as some reports come in. Please use this thread to post about Camino Francés albergues.
Thank you for you information, would you know how to register to start the Camino Frances if the office is closed in Saint Jean pie De Port by 6/24/21

Thank you for you information, would you know how to register to start the Camino Frances if the office is closed in Saint Jean pie De Port by 6/24/21
There is no need to "register" to start walking the Camino. Though many people do like to get their first stamp at the Pilgrim's office in SJPdP, you can mark the beginning of your Camino with a stamp from your accommodation or anywhere else in town.

You can start in ANY town; Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, f.ex. If you want a Compostela when arriving in Santiago, you'll only need to walk the last 100 kms., but then you'll ned 2 stamps/day. SpdP is just another town.

Edit: You simply get your first stamp wherever you decide to start, and then you have started your Camino. That easy..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back