• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

For Sale/Wanted Albergue or house for sale along the Camino Portuguese?

Steve Hackman

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2015, 2017)
Muxia & Fisterra (2015)
Via Francigena (2018)
Camino Portuguese (2020)
After numerous Caminos, my wife and I are looking to purchase a house (or possibly an already established albergue) along the Camino Portuguese within Portugal to establish a small private refugio for pilgrims. Ideally between Lisbon & Porto but also open to possibilities north of Porto. Appreciative of any tips on properties that would be along the trail and as an ideal break point on the way to Santiago. Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
After numerous Caminos, my wife and I are looking to purchase a house (or possibly an already established albergue) along the Camino Portuguese within Portugal to establish a small private refugio for pilgrims. Ideally between Lisbon & Porto but also open to possibilities north of Porto. Appreciative of any tips on properties that would be along the trail and as an ideal break point on the way to Santiago. Thanks!
I wonder if the family of the hospitalera/owner of Quinta da Burra have decided what they will do with the property. It opened after I walked from Lisbon, but many people loved it and it was a good stopping place, breaking up the stage into Santarém.

You could also contact @Friend from Barquinha for her insights.

I wonder if the family of the hospitalera/owner of Quinta da Burra have decided what they will do with the property. It opened after I walked from Lisbon, but many people loved it and it was a good stopping place, breaking up the stage into Santarém.

You could also contact @Friend from Barquinha for her insights.
Thank you, I had read about this but was hesitant about approaching but it is a delightful place and would love to keep the spirit of it alive. Thanks for including the contact info.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Look at Alojamento Local Ninho. It's a nice albergue, made of stone. When I stayed there in October 2021, the owner told me she wanted to sell.

Are you looking for a casa rural type place in the countryside, somewhere in a village or small town, or somewhere in a larger town or city?

Tomar was always the place I had in mind during my occasional thoughts about opening an albergue in Portugal (which seem to be in the past these days). There’s a hostel there but no albergue, and all pilgrims stop there and quite a few stay two nights, so it’s a shame there isn’t one there already.

I stopped at a patio Cafe in Tomar to have a sandwich and a beer. Asked one of the locals there who spoke amazingly good English. Asked about albergues and he said you can stay at mine. I had a room with 4 beds all to myself. It was on the top level and facing the main drag. The skylight was open and you could hear the night time party crowd. He had grape vines growing along the interior walls of his great room. I think he was a doctor of some sort. Big on the history of Tomar and the Knights Templar. An interesting gentleman to listen to. So yes, there's places to stay in Tomar.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are you looking for a casa rural type place in the countryside, somewhere in a village or small town, or somewhere in a larger town or city?

Tomar was always the place I had in mind during my occasional thoughts about opening an albergue in Portugal (which seem to be in the past these days). There’s a hostel there but no albergue, and all pilgrims stop there and quite a few stay two nights, so it’s a shame there isn’t one there already.
We are probably more open to a town or just outside of one. Interesting you mention Tomar as that is the place I keep being drawn to :)

Tomar is a gorgeous place - big enough but not too big, with plenty of life. I'd have no trouble living there. Which I think has to be a consideration.

It is a big commitment. I'd want to rent something and live there for a while. It would also help to find out what the local attitude would be. Is the town supportive, are other local accommodation providers going to create problems? Do you have another income or will this venture have to be self supporting? I assume you and wife have put in some time as volunteer hospitaleros or so know what to expect. If not, I suggest you contact @Rebekah Scott or one of the other camino bodies and spend some time working in an established albergue.

A bit like Camino gear. No matter how much online research I do, no matter how many opinions I solicit, no matter what I try on in the shops, it is only when I take the new (backpack, shoes, you name it) for a long walk that I find out if it really works.

Have you looked at these previous threads? https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/buying-an-albergue.75980/
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/how-to-start-an-albergue.76717/#post-1065907

Last edited:
Best of luck. What a great life!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I guess it's time to contribute my 2 euros' worth. I think Tomar is a very good location to consider for someone wanting to host a "south-half" Portuguese caminho albergue or guest house.

As I've mentioned, we'd bought here in Vila Nova da Barquinha, with the peregrino route to Atalaia visible at the bottom of our garden. I had thoughts of a hostel here. But--after watching pilgrims walk by, now in almost every season, I realize that there really isn't enough potential to warrant more accommodation here than already exists. And our local church-based group is, I think, working on a small lodging to augment the three hotels here in town, so our offering would definitely be more than the town needs.

It's the wrong place. The general pace and breaks in the caminho to this point (Barquinha) typically have people stopping in Golega, or thereabouts, the night before. We see most of our peregrinos coming by between 9 and 11 in the morning. Most people have limited time for their caminho. So why stop here in Barquninha, for the typical walker, when you can make it to Tomar, and then spend a lay-day there and see the splendid sights?

Tomar is the obvious day-off point for peregrinos/as who are not in a hurry. And much of Tomar's accommodation is going upscale, with new and rebuilt 3- and 4-star hotels. So friendly, moderately priced accommodation--perhaps on the quieter, eastern side of the river rather than in the quaint but pricey old town--could be a good strategy. There are some attractive little areas over there, with the property likely better priced than in the trendy old town, but still not very far, walking, from the heart of town where the restaurants and cafés are, and where people tend to congregate in the evenings.

I'd say it's worth checking out!

I guess it's time to contribute my 2 euros' worth. I think Tomar is a very good location to consider for someone wanting to host a "south-half" Portuguese caminho albergue or guest house.

As I've mentioned, we'd bought here in Vila Nova da Barquinha, with the peregrino route to Atalaia visible at the bottom of our garden. I had thoughts of a hostel here. But--after watching pilgrims walk by, now in almost every season, I realize that there really isn't enough potential to warrant more accommodation here than already exists. And our local church-based group is, I think, working on a small lodging to augment the three hotels here in town, so our offering would definitely be more than the town needs.

It's the wrong place. The general pace and breaks in the caminho to this point (Barquinha) typically have people stopping in Golega, or thereabouts, the night before. We see most of our peregrinos coming by between 9 and 11 in the morning. Most people have limited time for their caminho. So why stop here in Barquninha, for the typical walker, when you can make it to Tomar, and then spend a lay-day there and see the splendid sights?

Tomar is the obvious day-off point for peregrinos/as who are not in a hurry. And much of Tomar's accommodation is going upscale, with new and rebuilt 3- and 4-star hotels. So friendly, moderately priced accommodation--perhaps on the quieter, eastern side of the river rather than in the quaint but pricey old town--could be a good strategy. There are some attractive little areas over there, with the property likely better priced than in the trendy old town, but still not very far, walking, from the heart of town where the restaurants and cafés are, and where people tend to congregate in the evenings.

I'd say it's worth checking out!
Thanks for the insightful comment. Fortunately, my wife and I are not in any rush and can wait for "the Camino to provide" the right place and location, which, as you indicate, is very important. No sense opening a place that is not a natural "break" point on the journey. Having said that, I know in my previous Caminos and on the Via Francigena I've take a "short day" to intentionally stay at a place that is more that just a bed for the night, but provides a Camino experience. My wife and I have a hope of creating the kind of place peregrinos will seek out as a physical, emotional, and spiritual recharge on their journey to Santiago. 😀.

It's great that you have the time and resources to wait for just the right spot. I have to admit, I fell in love with our spot in Barquinha first, and it was a bonus that it was a stop along the caminho, and it sounded like fun to provide some service for the peregrinos/as. But the caminho was not my first priority. It sounds like it is, for you.

Best of luck, Steve. It sounds quite clear that you will find what you want and need.

Kathy

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry to hear that you have had to give up your plans for an albergue, but it sounds like the right decision.

As you know, we stayed in Barquinha on our CP but that was early pandemic times and there was no accommodation open in Golegã. So we stopped in Azinhaga instead and the flow-on effect was that Barquinha made sense for the next night.

Sorry to hear that you have had to give up your plans for an albergue, but it sounds like the right decision.

As you know, we stayed in Barquinha on our CP but that was early pandemic times and there was no accommodation open in Golegã. So we stopped in Azinhaga instead and the flow-on effect was that Barquinha made sense for the next night.
Yes, us too, but the demand just isn't there. For those who want to stay the night, there's the traditional hotel (Soltejo), listed in Brierley, which is only about 15 minutes' off the walking path, very reasonable and friendly (we've stayed there, before our house was liveable). Plus in the last 5 years there are 2 new hotels near the park, owned by the same people, pricier, but very comfortable, I gather...

...and as I mentioned, I think our local parish either has started, or is about to start, renovating an older building as something like an albergue. My Portuguese isn't good enough to glean the details from my neighbour, who's active in the parish activities. But something's happening!

Given that for half the year, there's only 2 or 3 peregrinos a day passing along this route, and that we are less than mid-day's walk between Golega and Tomar, that's probably enough.

Given the brutality of the summer sun and the lack of shady rest spots along our stretch, we have some other ideas...

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back