• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue Orisson

Bella75

I will be starting the Camino on the 31st August and was planning to stop at Albergue Orisson. Do you need to book beforehand.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Give em a try, but I bet they are all booked up!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They may not be full too. I started walking on 30 August 2012 at 10:00am and the Pilgrim office called on my behalf just before I left them. They managed to get me two beds. As it turned out, there were a few more spaces in tents available when we arrived and we somehow got upgraded to one of their private rooms when someone didn't show up. It's still a good idea to make reservations though.

We ended up staying in Gite Kayola which is just down the hill a bit from Orisson but we ate breakfast and dinner at Orisson. We had to do it because it booked up 2 months in advance so you definitely want to make a reservation.

I will be setting off from SJPD the morning of October 31. On the website for Refuge Orisson, it says they are opened from March to October.
Does anyone know if that means they will still be opened on the 31st? I have emailed twice in the last month and have not received a reply.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Bella75 - absolute MUST to book ahead - that's before you leave home - stopped here in 2007 (had to stay extra night in SJPdP to do so) and again this year in April - send email and expect it to be a day or two (or more) to get a response - to confirm the reservation they sent a request for payment via PayPal - worked perfectly...I used refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr in April

We ended up staying in Gite Kayola which is just down the hill a bit from Orisson but we ate breakfast and dinner at Orisson. We had to do it because it booked up 2 months in advance so you definitely want to make a reservation.

Is gite kayole far from 0rissin?

I will be setting off from SJPD the morning of October 31. On the website for Refuge Orisson, it says they are opened from March to October.
Does anyone know if that means they will still be opened on the 31st? I have emailed twice in the last month and have not received a reply.

They usually close mid October for the season.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I got a reply from Orisson just now. I wanted to reserve 1 bed 3rd sept but they are fully booked. They have a bed in kayola and can book dinner and breakfast in Orisson.

Kayola is 800 meters before Orisson, directly on the trail. If you make friends with the staff you can probably get a ride to and from dinner at Orisson.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is still worth a try at Orisson. You never know your luck. I emailed about 3 weeks ago and managed to get in for early September.

Why bother ? Orrison is not that far to walk. We could not believe how soon we arrived there and were glad we had NOT made reservations to stay there. I would not doubt that people from SJPDP walk there just for a cup of coffee and wander back to SJPDP just for something to do when they are bored.

I was glad that I had reservations and that I stayed. I did not want my first day to be the hardest day. Started slow and easy, met a lot of nice people at Orrison. We had a wonderful afternoon to get acquainted while enjoying the deck and the evening meal was superb.

I was glad that I had reservations and that I stayed. I did not want my first day to be the hardest day. Started slow and easy, met a lot of nice people at Orrison. We had a wonderful afternoon to get acquainted while enjoying the deck and the evening meal was superb.
I agree 100%. I hadn't planned to walk on the day I arrived in SJPdP and I never heard of Orrison but when the Pilgrim Office suggested starting that day (about 10am?) and offered to help me with reservations, I jumped at it and was glad I did. The dinner that night was one of the best experiences on the whole Camino.

We booked two months in advance for Orisson because we heard they do book up. I was glad we did. It is a tough 8 km pretty steep uphill and also Orisson is a great place to meet people and to just get comfortable and have a short day because you won't have many after that. Very glad we stop there many people complained about problems going to far the first day

Why bother ? Orrison is not that far to walk. We could not believe how soon we arrived there and were glad we had NOT made reservations to stay there. I would not doubt that people from SJPDP walk there just for a cup of coffee and wander back to SJPDP just for something to do when they are bored.
Some of us want to enjoy the views and are in no hurry to finish our Camino. From all the photos I've seen, this seems to be one of the most memorable and picturesque views along "The Way"

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just curious, but if (anyone) you stay in orisson, which is about a 7-8km walk, what time do you leave SJPP? Wont you be in orisson awfully early?

Just curious, but if (anyone) you stay in orisson, which is about a 7-8km walk, what time do you leave SJPP? Wont you be in orisson awfully early?

Great opportunity to hang around SJPDP and have a nice liesurely walk up that damn hill!!!!!! Oh and once you get there you can relax on the veranda/porch with wine/beer/coffee and enjoy the glorious views while watching all the other Peregrinos chug up the rest of the way!!!:D

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We are slow walkers and it took us 2 hrs 45 min from SJPP to Orisson. We spent a delightful rest of the morning and most of the afternoon sitting on the veranda overlooking the valley and chatting with other pilgrims who were either staying there, stopping for a snack, or stopping for lunch. And as others have said, the dinner there was one of the best on the Camino. It's where we met our Camino family, some of whom we walked with or crossed paths with all the way to Santiago.
Jim

You can leave SJPP after a nice lunch. Enjoy the last you'll be ordering from a menu for a while.

Bill

Huh? You can order from a menu in roncesvalles. Or am i not understanding you :confused:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

We're stopping to ease me in gently - to avoid gettig there too early we're not going to rush to leave SJ - have a nice breakfast, take our time, stop for a picnic lunch en route and just enjoy the view. This is the only day that my husband will walk with me (it's our Anniversary the next day) so we'll just enjoy the day and take in the views.

My first 4-5 days are going to be pretty slow. I know that this may mean I'll lose touch with folks that I meet early on, but I want to get to Santiago and if taking it slow at the start will help... well so be it. I've booked the first 4 nights and after this I have more flexibility... I kind of have a plan but as I move along I'm hoping I'll get fitter, stronger and faster and I can just go with the flow :)

I will be starting the Camino on the 31st August and was planning to stop at Albergue Orisson. Do you need to book beforehand.
If you can get into Orisson or Kayola great. What I will caution you to do is check the mountain weather reports before you leave SJPP. Two years ago, a friend and I left SJPP on 11 Sept. We tried to get into Orisson but they were full. We foolishly continued to climb the mountain as the weather was getting worse. The wind, rain, and cold forced us to hide behind a small concrete block wall where we slept on the mountain. I had a sleeping bag but my friend did not and he was wet cold and miserable when dawn arrive and it was still raining. Both in the Pyrenees and Galica you will find extreme weather shifts. Be prepared. I leave on 13 Aug from SJPP with a friend (a different one) and we have reservations at Orisson. Hope you find a place to stay.

Yes I think u r right. Too short to make a day's work, I face the same question. I will walk about in the morning in SJpdp n start the passage to Orisson after lunch. That way I can buy the last things in St jean b4 embarking on the great camino. I can view n enjoy St Jean, which I'd ve arrived the previous evening.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great opportunity to hang around SJPDP and have a nice liesurely walk up that damn hill!!!!!! Oh and once you get there you can relax on the veranda/porch with wine/beer/coffee and enjoy the glorious views while watching all the other Peregrinos chug up the rest of the way!!!:D
This one's for Gerardcarey.....are you and your bunch spending the 12th in Orisson?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I booked for the 7th September way back in May .. My brother and I have our reservations .. So happy I emailed and sent my PayPal deposit . I think jet lag will be a thing so breaking up the first day hike we thought a good thing. Plus I heard so many good things about this spot.
:)

I, too, was thrilled to have a reservation at Orisson for a variety of reasons; it eased me into the walking, I spent the morning enjoying St Jean without feeling after being dropped off by Corazon Puro, I got to spend the first night with 20 pilgrims (rather than 180) eating a family-style dinner and breakfast (my closest friend on the Camino is a woman from Mexico I met at Orisson), I was able to get over my jet lag on a lovely location, ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406654252.873112.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406654276.390157.jpgImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1406654309.923614.jpgI got to spend an entire afternoon enjoying the beauty of the Pyrenees and to wake up to the beautiful morning light that can be found there. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

I can tell you it is the slowest 8 km I am ever likely to walk. It just goes up and up and up and up. Once you arrive there is a lovely external deck on which to hang out and meet people, read a book, or just contemplate the view.

But anyway, SJPDP is the loveliest little town, with plenty to see and do, so no need to rush off early.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
LesBrass said:
'My first 4-5 days are going to be pretty slow. I know that this may mean I'll lose touch with folks that I meet early on, but I want to get to Santiago and if taking it slow at the start will help... well so be it. I've booked the first 4 nights and after this I have more flexibility... I kind of have a plan but as I move along I'm hoping I'll get fitter, stronger and faster and I can just go with the flow :)"

Sorry I can't get the quotes thingey to work for me anymore.
LesBrass -I think it's a good plan especially for anyone who has the time. On my first camino I was concerned that I was losing touch with those who scurried on ahead and made better mileage than I was making. But I met many of them again, coming up from the rear, having been forced to take a day or few off from shin splints, blisters and all manner of other problems. Although horrible for them it helped me learn not to worry about my speed and just to do what worked best for me. I know this is not always possible when people have to rush back to work. But if you don't why not slow down a bit and enjoy. I did find I got stronger and stronger as I went along and going at my own pace, which averages out at about 20 km a day I feel no need for rest days (although would stop if I wanted to).
Last year I met several people who had a day 10 flareup of one kind or another (first blisters, shin splints etc.) The body does not appreciate being treated without consideration it seems.
Buen camino
Cecelia

Good post Cecelia
The day 10 flare up I have experienced . You can believe it's all going so well and 'voila!' The body says '. no more !
Annie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good post Cecelia
The day 10 flare up I have experienced . You can believe it's all going so well and 'voila!' The body says '. no more !
Annie
Sorry to hear about your 10-day flare up Annie - but it does seem quite common - I'm sure I've met at least a dozen people on the camino who experience really painful (body) things on about day 10. We definitely need to listen to our bodies ( even though the messages are not always clear until it's too late!)

I've been trying to access the website for Albergue Orisson for more than a week but just get a message that the server can't open the site. Any suggestions?

€149,-
What browser are you using? I've tried Safari, Google Chrome and Firefox, and none of them will get me to the website. They all say that it's unavailable. Very frustrating! Thanks for your help.
Firefox and Chrome both get the website. Maybe you need to clear history and cookies.

upload_2015-4-10_15-57-27.png

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No problem getting on their site--If you can't get on then I would take as a sign that you should NOT stay there! Computer Gods knows what is best for you! It is NOT a very far walk from SJPDP. If you can't get a reservation I would not worry about it.

No problem getting on their site--If you can't get on then I would take as a sign that you should NOT stay there! Computer Gods knows what is best for you! It is NOT a very far walk from SJPDP. If you can't get a reservation I would not worry about it.
Thanks, xin loi, but I'm not willing to give my computer that much power. :) I got on the site at the local library. Still don't know why my MacBook Pro,my iPhone and my iPad Mini can't access the site. And I don't like computer mysteries. I don't want them to be smarter than I am! :(

An add-on--I heard from Orisson today (a reply to my email) and have a reservation for Sept. 7. I'm so happy!!!!!! I know that I could make the trek in a single day, but I think it's smarter for me at my age to take it slow and easy. I figured out that the problem getting on the website at Orisson for me lies with my server, ATT-Uverse, because when I try with my iPhone and iPad Mini using the wireless, Verizon, I can get on. I'm not going to worry about it though, because I have the reservation and that's all that I care about for now. :) Thanks though for all your suggestions and help.

Last edited:
I, too, was thrilled to have a reservation at Orisson for a variety of reasons; it eased me into the walking, I spent the morning enjoying St Jean without feeling after being dropped off by Corazon Puro, I got to spend the first night with 20 pilgrims (rather than 180) eating a family-style dinner and breakfast (my closest friend on the Camino is a woman from Mexico I met at Orisson), I was able to get over my jet lag on a lovely location, View attachment 11961View attachment 11962View attachment 11963I got to spend an entire afternoon enjoying the beauty of the Pyrenees and to wake up to the beautiful morning light that can be found there. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
How did you like Corazon Puro? I have a reservation there 1 night and Orisson the next after leaving SJPP. Wondering what your thoughts are so I know what to expect.
Lisa

Hi Lisa, I really enjoyed it. I will PM you with my blog posts that have pictures and describe my stay there. I am so excited and happy for you.

Elissa

€83,-
Book early or Book now . Orission is a special place and it is a place where you will meet other pilgrims whom you may meet all along the Camino. Besides all that, the views before reaching Orission will take your breath away. Buen Camino.

They have recently changed their website. You should be able to get in now:
http://www.refuge-orisson.com/en/
I too was trying for reservation in Orisson for Sept and was able to get on the site. This is likely a tideous question for a 'Veteran' to receive but in filling in the on-line enquiry for this refuge, it asks to fill in the 'Captcha'. I have no idea what that is, and unfortunately, I am studying Spanish and not French, so I don't think it went through. Any help appreciated. Thanks

The CAPTCHA is an alpha/numeric code which is shown to you in one box. You need to copy and enter it into another box to prove that you are a legitimate user, ie a person and not a robot. The process then continues.

Last edited:
I too was trying for reservation in Orisson for Sept and was able to get on the site. This is likely a tideous question for a 'Veteran' to receive but in filling in the on-line enquiry for this refuge, it asks to fill in the 'Captcha'. I have no idea what that is, and unfortunately, I am studying Spanish and not French, so I don't think it went through. Any help appreciated. Thanks

Hi Maggie, I too found it a little difficult but managed in the end, exactly what Margaret said just an extra box to fill in, Captchas are a bit weird, aparently 'robots' can't deal with them and it proves you are a real,live human trying to book not an electronic searcher. Once you copy the letters/numbers into the box below you can continue, beware they are case sensitive.
I hadn't heard anything for almost a week when I first tried, but apparently this is normal for Orisson. I emailed directly and had to change my date from the 18th to 19th of September so its filling up!
I get an extra night in St Jean..... such a hardship :rolleyes: then a lovely slow walk up to Orisson, so much different to my first time, I went all the way to Roncesvalles and felt I whizzed through the Pyrenees.
Hope this helps, Buen Camino
Sarah :)

Hi Maggie, I too found it a little difficult but managed in the end, exactly what Margaret said just an extra box to fill in, Captchas are a bit weird, aparently 'robots' can't deal with them and it proves you are a real,live human trying to book not an electronic searcher. Once you copy the letters/numbers into the box below you can continue, beware they are case sensitive.
I hadn't heard anything for almost a week when I first tried, but apparently this is normal for Orisson. I emailed directly and had to change my date from the 18th to 19th of September so its filling up!
I get an extra night in St Jean..... such a hardship :rolleyes: then a lovely slow walk up to Orisson, so much different to my first time, I went all the way to Roncesvalles and felt I whizzed through the Pyrenees.
Hope this helps, Buen Camino
Sarah :)
Sarah thanks for your post. I'm used to this method here; I just could not make out the directions in French. Yes, it all helps. Loved your comment about the Pyrenees. I was a bit apprehensive about taking this route, but now can't wait for the experience. Buen Camino.

I have received a booking confirmation for September (in English) from the Albergue in Orisson, which pleases me immensely. But I'm a tad confused. They indicated that they would send a 'Demand for Payment' stating that Paypal is their method. However, when the message arrived (in French) I saw nothing that resembled the Paypal logo; only a referral to a website 'Avast'. Have I missed something? Have others paid with Paypal and how does that translate to Euros. Do I pay the Canada equivalency?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello Maggie. You will receive a separate email from email address: member@paypal.com

Within the email it will state this; You've received an invoice.

There will be instructions to view and pay the invoice. Give it a day to get this second email and try it. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Ed

Hello Maggie. You will receive a separate email from email address: member@paypal.com

There will be instructions to view and pay the invoice. Give it a day to get this second email and try it. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Ed
My many thanks Ed; can't wait until I'm a 'Veteran' and won't have to embarrass myself with these questions. Yes, I'll give it a couple of days.
Maggie

No so

No sooner said than done; the email arrived and payment has been made. My thanks again. Maggie

You are pretty
My many thanks Ed; can't wait until I'm a 'Veteran' and won't have to embarrass myself with these questions. Yes, I'll give it a couple of days.
Maggie
You are pretty much a "Vet" already there Maggie. Enjoy your status as a non Vet whilst you can!!! Someday you will be helping a Pilgrim on this forum. That's how it works......Buen Camino. Ed

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.