Search 57,387 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Socks
Browse the Camino Socks collection on the forum shop
Camino Jewellery
A selection of Camino Jewellery

Albergue owners, look this way

Citronit

Past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, Portuguese 2018
Hey all.

I just got back from my fourth camino, and for the first time I did camino Frances, from Saint jead to finisterre. What an amazing experience it was. There really is a certain type of magic on the camino that I haven't found elsewhere.

On my travels I talked to many albergue owners and they were, despite it having been tough years, ever as much in love with us pilgrims and willing to share with us as ever before.

I have decided to move to Spain next year, and wanted to start my journey volunteering and helping you hospitaleros. So, do you know of anyone who is looking for help for the new Holy year 2022, or if you are that person, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I cook a mean lentil soup and I am just in general a nice person :D

Thank you for all your work!

Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Nice plans @Citronit !
Just a heads-up about volunteering: look at the subforum about training as a hospitalero. I don't know where you are from but most of us who have volunteered needed to first take a weekend course through a local Camino association. Unfortunately last year and this year the ones given in Spain were cancelled as were most if not all courses given in other countries. Stints last for 2 weeks. Sometimes there are possibilities to stay 2 weeks longer but that's unusual. These opportunities are usually in donativos (municipal and parochial albergues) which were closed most of last year. Many are still closed.

There may be some private albergues willing to give you the opportunity to help out but it is in most cases actually illegal and an albergue owner could get into trouble with the Spanish authorities if someone rats out on them. I have seen that some donativo private albergues do have volunteers. Their regulations are different.

Anyway good luck! It's lots of hard work and not for everyone.

Last edited:

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
You don't really have to complete a course first. If you are flexible and can be there a few days early, HOSVOL will place you with an experienced hospitalero to show you the ropes, and you'll learn as you go along. Contact Anai at anahosvol@caminosantiago.org to serve in the donativo albergues administered by AMIGOS.
Contact Rebekah Scott to serve in the FICS albergues - in Najera and Grado.
Visit the website for San Anton Albergue, near Castrojeriz: http://fundacionsananton.org/ or write to the owner Ovidio Camp campoovidio@gmail.com.
Or join the Hospitaleros Voluntarios group on Facebook to offer your services: https://www.facebook.com/groups/196813887463
Good luck!

Did not find what you were looking for? Search here

Popular Resources

“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf ivar
  • Featured
“All” Albergues on the Camino Frances in one pdf
4.95 star(s) 101 ratings
Downloads
Updated
A selection of favorite albergues on the Camino Francés Ton van Tilburg
Favorite Albergues along the Camino Frances
4.83 star(s) 35 ratings