• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue owners, look this way

Citronit

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013, Portuguese 2018
Hey all.

I just got back from my fourth camino, and for the first time I did camino Frances, from Saint jead to finisterre. What an amazing experience it was. There really is a certain type of magic on the camino that I haven't found elsewhere.

On my travels I talked to many albergue owners and they were, despite it having been tough years, ever as much in love with us pilgrims and willing to share with us as ever before.

I have decided to move to Spain next year, and wanted to start my journey volunteering and helping you hospitaleros. So, do you know of anyone who is looking for help for the new Holy year 2022, or if you are that person, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. I cook a mean lentil soup and I am just in general a nice person :D

Thank you for all your work!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Nice plans @Citronit !
Just a heads-up about volunteering: look at the subforum about training as a hospitalero. I don't know where you are from but most of us who have volunteered needed to first take a weekend course through a local Camino association. Unfortunately last year and this year the ones given in Spain were cancelled as were most if not all courses given in other countries. Stints last for 2 weeks. Sometimes there are possibilities to stay 2 weeks longer but that's unusual. These opportunities are usually in donativos (municipal and parochial albergues) which were closed most of last year. Many are still closed.

There may be some private albergues willing to give you the opportunity to help out but it is in most cases actually illegal and an albergue owner could get into trouble with the Spanish authorities if someone rats out on them. I have seen that some donativo private albergues do have volunteers. Their regulations are different.

Anyway good luck! It's lots of hard work and not for everyone.

Last edited:
You don't really have to complete a course first. If you are flexible and can be there a few days early, HOSVOL will place you with an experienced hospitalero to show you the ropes, and you'll learn as you go along. Contact Anai at anahosvol@caminosantiago.org to serve in the donativo albergues administered by AMIGOS.
Contact Rebekah Scott to serve in the FICS albergues - in Najera and Grado.
Visit the website for San Anton Albergue, near Castrojeriz: http://fundacionsananton.org/ or write to the owner Ovidio Camp campoovidio@gmail.com.
Or join the Hospitaleros Voluntarios group on Facebook to offer your services: https://www.facebook.com/groups/196813887463
Good luck!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am currently working as a Hospitalaro in a newly reopened Donativo Albergue in Vergen del Camino, just a short distance from Leon. It was closed for 5 years due to, initially the pandemic. It is...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.