• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue "pick and drop" -- What would you call it?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Some of the hostel/albergue owners on the Caminho from Lisbon to Porto have gotten together to offer a pick up and drop off service to people for whom the many 30+ stages are just too much. This is NOT a taxi service, obviously, it's just something they will offer as an add-on to their accommodation offering. They are really helpful, wonderful people and are hoping that this service will give more pilgrims the reassurance they need to set out from Lisbon.

One of them suggested "Pick and Drop" as the name of this service. I think that's very good, but since there are so many creative and clever people on this forum, as we've seen on the Shakespeare threads, Gerard's writings, etc., I thought I'd ask if there are other ideas.

Thanks, and bom caminho, Laurie

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You are kidding? Aren't you?
I'm used to seeing backpackers so paranoid about losing everything they own in the world in their packs that they even pay for another bus seat so their pack is next to them. Even then if you nod off, other passengers/backpackers sometimes cut open your pack while you nap. Having had one backpack stolen when traveling, I doubt if I would ever trust anyone to ensure my pack would meet me at some future location and at some unknown future time. I've seen backpackers in tears when airlines/buses won't let them carry on their backpacks and insist their packs be put in the luggage compartments.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
CPR - Camino Portuguese Relief?
EAR - Expect Ache Relief?
Seriously though:-
TEA (Service) - Transferência Entre Albergue (Servicio) - Transfer Between Albergues Service. Of course on the Spanish part it could become TIA -Transferencia Inter Albergue and would be provided by our Tia Valerie.

I'm used to seeing backpackers so paranoid about losing everything they own in the world in their packs that they even pay for another bus seat so their pack is next to them. Even then if you nod off, other passengers/backpackers sometimes cut open your pack while you nap. Having had one backpack stolen when traveling, I doubt if I would ever trust anyone to ensure my pack would meet me at some future location and at some unknown future time. I've seen backpackers in tears when airlines/buses won't let them carry on their backpacks and insist their packs be put in the luggage compartments.
I don't think this is meant to transport just your pack, but you and the pack. It sounds like a way for private albergues to get a pilgrims to their place. Providing this solution to pilgrims is thinking out of the box, and will be appreciated by tired and weary pilgrims.

Another example of this innovative thinking is what Corazon Puro offers on the CF, providing pilgrims that have to get from Pamplona to SJPDP. Prior to discovering them, I was going in circles trying to figure the most efficient and cost effective way...for 46€, I will not only get a ride into SJPDP without having to pay a taxi or stress over what busses to take, I am also going to have a place to stay overnight, a nice dinner and breakfast the next morning.

Kris

No, we are not kidding, this is something that we have been working for at least the last 2 months :)

I think that the @Al the optimist option for TEA (Service) - Transferência Entre Albergue (Serviço) it's the ideal thing Laurie!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd call it a really useful service. Will you have details before I set off in a flew weeks?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some of the hostel/albergue owners on the Caminho from Lisbon to Porto have gotten together to offer a pick up and drop off service to people for whom the many 30+ stages are just too much. This is NOT a taxi service, obviously, it's just something they will offer as an add-on to their accommodation offering. They are really helpful, wonderful people and are hoping that this service will give more pilgrims the reassurance they need to set out from Lisbon.

One of them suggested "Pick and Drop" as the name of this service. I think that's very good, but since there are so many creative and clever people on this forum, as we've seen on the Shakespeare threads, Gerard's writings, etc., I thought I'd ask if there are other ideas.

Thanks, and bom caminho, Laurie

How about: Helping Hand = MaoAmigo ........... (I think that's how you spell it:rolleyes:)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

This is the Camino, not a backpackers adventure tour in a third world country. In France Burricot Express and others have been transporting packs along the Chermin from gite to gite for years, and now it is also common on the CF. I think this is a great initiative; my spouse and I were thinking of walking from Porto but this would definitely help us rethink our starting point.

DHL - distinguished holy luggage ? (from a Central American point of view)
The Portuguese organizers of "Pick and Drop"may well be setting new standards?:D

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
CPR - Camino Portuguese Relief?
EAR - Expect Ache Relief?
Seriously though:-
TEA (Service) - Transferência Entre Albergue (Servicio) - Transfer Between Albergues Service. Of course on the Spanish part it could become TIA -Transferencia Inter Albergue and would be provided by our Tia Valerie.

Here's what one of the albergue owners said about TEA Service.

"Enjoyed the creative work. TEA service is my favorite one, but will require extra work to make clear that we will not provide TEA service during the caminho."
:)

Maybe they'll stick with "Pick and Drop."

Here's what one of the albergue owners said about TEA Service.

"Enjoyed the creative work. TEA service is my favorite one, but will require extra work to make clear that we will not provide TEA service during the caminho."
:)

Maybe they'll stick with "Pick and Drop."

Just put some dots between the letters :D

Some of the hostel/albergue owners on the Caminho from Lisbon to Porto have gotten together to offer a pick up and drop off service to people for whom the many 30+ stages are just too much. One of them suggested "Pick and Drop" as the name of this service. I think that's very good, but since there are so many creative and clever people on this forum, as we've seen on the Shakespeare threads, Gerard's writings, etc., I thought I'd ask if there are other ideas. Thanks, and bom caminho, Laurie
Oh, I think you're going to get some cracking suggestions from this Forum, Laurie! :)
Some of them won't be too serious .... "Pick up, & drop off!" is still my favourite, but let's see what other ideas come up!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back