• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue/place to stay between Portugalete and Castro-Urdial

Frank.B

Buenos Noches

I am setting out on my 1st Camino this Thursday and am a little concerned that there may be no Albergues/Youth Hostels open between Portugalete and Castro-Urdiales. This will be my first stage so I would really hope to avoid the 30 or so kms that it takes to complete this part on my 1st day. I was hoping to stop in Pobena but the Albergue there doesn't open until the beginning of next month. Does anybody have any recommendations on accommodation?

Gracias

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Frank,

Unfortunately, there isn't a great option that I know of for breaking up that walk. Here are some non-terrible options:

1) Sleep in a hotel. Obviously, the downside is expense. But, if you really want to walk every step but not go all the way to Castro-Urdiales and have the money, there are some choices available. In Pobena, Apartamentos Mugarri has rooms. They list 60 euros for a double, but promise cheaper prices for a person traveling solo. Another option would be to stay in Miono, roughly 7km before Castro. The Hospederia Los Tres Canos is located there, with slightly cheaper rates than the Mugarri. In both cases, you might be able to haggle down the price, since it's still not peak season.

http://www.apartamentosmugarri.com/cuanto.jsp
http://www.lostrescanos.es/lacasa.htm#

2) Take the bus to Pobena. Any starting point is relatively arbitrary, but in this case there's no special significance to Portugalete. If you don't want to walk 30km, just take the local bus to Pobena and start your walk there! You can find the local bus options by searching for directions from Portugalete to Pobena in Google Maps and then selecting the public transport option.

Hope that helps-
Dave

Thanks, Dave.

I knew options were limited, I just thought someone out there might have found some gem along the way to break up that walk. Money is a big factor in my decision making and staying in a hotel isn't really an option during the early stages of my Camino. I agree with the arbitrary nature of the beginning of a journey, so I think I might just take your advice and take a bus!

Thanks again,
Frank

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Castro Urdiales is a no-miss place. I think it is wonderful. Everytime i visit friends near Bilbao we go there for lunch. Another great place if you are taking time out in Bilbao is near the top of the Funicular de la Reinata which goes from Trapaganan up to Reinata. A pleasant walk then takes you to La Arboleda, an absolutely lovely old minier's village. It's pretty, with a few very pleasant small restaurants with great (and cheap) menu de dias and warm welcoming people.

Frank
I have just checked my notes! We did walk all the way between these towns. In my view it was a glorious day and great walking. Tips-you can keep to the beach side after Onton and this makes it shorter. When I walked it the bridge (blue) over the beach was closed-so check this out-that made it much longer and hard for me as I had to go back and around on the road. But if you break it up into 3 stages-take rests-it is doable and Castro was one of the high points of our walk (for strange reasons)-The tourist office in Portugalete where you get your stamp can advise on places to stay if you need. I remember some staying in the apartahotel ?
Buen Camino, hope you love it.

Frank
I agree with Undara that if the weather's fair it's about as easy a 30k day as you can get.
About 2k out of Portugalete you'll be on a pedestrian walkway/cycle path. There'll be an arrow saying you can go left off it and into Ortuella, but it says the main route is just to follow the walkway to Playa de la Arena. We all did that and it was an easy stroll.
Next, after you've refreshed yourself in one of the smart cafés with a beach view, you stroll across beach and bridge, up some steep steps and then a few more km on a level path along the coast.
Undara says you can keep to the coast at Onton, but I'm not so sure. I think you have to do a bit of road work and a long climb here on the road - the only strenuous part. I've just checked my photos looking back along the coast and it looks too steep and rocky for there to be a path IMO.
HOWEVER... when you go down into Miono, you should see a yellow arrow turning right off the road. This optional way then runs parallel to the little river (on r/h side) down to the beach/sea, then it goes up the side of the hill and all the way along the cliffs to Castro Urdiales - even the last little bit where you first come across apartments, just keep on over the headland. The waymarking is very economical, but believe me it works - and I think even this bit saves you a kilometre and it is glorious. Then you can refuel on the outskirts before walking the 2+ km across Castro Urdiales to the municipal albergue. If you think you are going to be completely knackered you might want to get your sightseeing of the church and Templar castle ruins in on the way to the albergue rather than walk all the way back later.
And finally, we had trouble contacting the hospitalero via the phone numbers on the albergue door. There may be a misprint. We eventually got hold of him when someone rang the number in their guide book. Hope this catches you in time! Have a good one
cheers, tom
PS and about that bridge diversion. The diversion sign is still there at the end of the car park (if you go that way) but the bridge is now open. Muggins here believed the sign and took the diversion (another 2km). I had 'asked' (in sign language) the beach police whether the diversion was still in effect. They studied the sign and told me I must follow the diversion - probably because anything official posted in four languages for them has to be respected and obeyed. When I saw them later (as they'd driven round) after I'd found there was nothing wrong with the bridge, I was not best pleased. I did a very good Basil Fawlty impression of a madman tearing down a sign, breaking it over his knee and stamping on it thoroughly. They mimed back that they would make a phone call...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for all the advice guys!

I set off tomorrow and the excitement is really starting to set in.

I think I have been swayed by Undara and Tom's advice and will attempt the 30k on the 1st day. Really can't thank you enough for the tips and positivity!

Muchas Gracias mi amigos!!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi, ive been training for my CDN in two weeks time and thought i'd get some UK coastline under my belt (Scarborough to Robin hoods Bay). I have to say i was just not prepared for the amount for...
hello We plan to walk from Irún to San Sebastián first day in Mid May and looking for feedback on how long it takes. Think we are up to it but will be our first day. Thanks for your thoughts and...
Please, am I mad to contemplate the following combo: Norte: Biarritz-Bayonne-Irun-Santander (via Bayonne to get my legs going) Santander - train to Leon San Salvador - Leon to Oviedo Primitivo -...
I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
What is the most beautiful seven day section on the Camino del Norte? I have a good friend who cannot come with me for the entire walk. She is only available for a week. I start from Irun. She...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back