A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Albergue Question for VdlP

Camino T-shirt

Joannarose

Camino(s) past & future
Francais, Portugese, Le Puy
After walking the Francaise and the Portugese several years ago, we've decided to give the Via de la Plata a try. We're thinking about starting in early October when the weather cools down. The last time we walked the Camino, we found albergues at the end of each day without needing a reservation. However, we know that there are a lot more people walking the Camino now. Can we walk VdlP without reserving an alburgue ahead of time or is it wise to commit to a schedule and make reservations in advance?
Thanks!

Raggy

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Mozarabe Almeria (2017)
Cherhill to Canterbury - Pilgrims' Way (2018)
Via Francigena (2019)
Can we walk VdlP without reserving an alburgue ahead of time or is it wise to commit to a schedule and make reservations in advance?
I don't think that the bed race has reached the VDLP. I walked in late October 2017 without making any reservations at all. I followed the blogs of some other pilgrims during the April-June peak season this year and noted that they were always able to find a bed.

If you are unfortunate to find yourself in a bubble of pilgrims that threatens to fill the albergues to capacity, you might want to reserve on the day or the night before to secure a bed in places where accommodations are scarce. (Or wait for the bubble to pass and find that you're the only pilgrim in town). But I don't think that you need to commit to a schedule days in advance. (Refer to Antonio Retamosa's guide for albergue capacities - https://viadelaplataelcamino.blogspot.com/2017/09/guia-albergues-via-plata-sanabres.html)

If you plan to stop at Embalse de Alcantara, I recommend calling a day in advance to verify that it's operating.

Kathleen PEters

Camino(s) past & future
Starting Camino Frances in May 2017
I walked this April and May and never had a problem. I was in the Easter bubble which meant about 12 people! Definitely stay at the Emblase. Modern, has a cafe and they wash your clothes! The first few days out of Sevilla are boring but I loved it after Merida

Via2010

Camino(s) past & future
06/07 & 12 Camino Francés, 08-10 Via de la Plata, 13/14 & 17 Camino Portugués, 18 Camino Primitivo
I walked Seville-Zamora this June and only put 2 reservations:

- Albergue Embalse de Alcantara (via WhatsApp, it is advised to do so to make sure that it is really open)
- Hostal Asturias in Jarilla (Sra. Elenas son at Carcaboso phoned for me because I wanted the pick-up-service at the Arco di Caparra; if you decide to walk, it is not really necessary)
I never met an albergue "completo" so - except in the two albergues mentioned above - there is no need for reservations.

BC
Alexandra

LTfit

Veteran Member
I concur with the others I have walked parts of the Plata in June, July, October/November and February and never reserved. October is a wonderful time to walk!

Ultreia

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
For the record, in April 2017 I found that some small albergues did fill up - Valdesalor, Galisteo, and another I remember. But everyone got a bed somewhere, as far as I know! In 2018 on a holiday weekend it was hard to find anything in Casar de Caceres. I am not suggesting anyone should be concerned in advance. Just be aware of your situation and your options, especially busy weekends in popular cities.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 7 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 168 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 270 24.2%