• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue recommendations for last CF Stages

Fletchonides

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP - Pamplona (2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (2016)
Burgos - Leon (June 2017)
Leon - SdC (June 2018)
My wife and I will be finally completing our Camino this year, walking Leon to SdC, starting 31st May.
There seems to be so many albergue options for the last stages, it is difficult to know what distinguishes one from another.

Our stages are likely to be:
Calvor, Lugo
Portomarin
Palas del Rei
Ribadiso da Baixo
O Pedrouzo
Santiago de Compostela

Does anyone have any recommendations for albergues in these towns (apart from Calvor, which I think only has one albergue)?
I know there are some albergues that have a lot of beds on these stages. How is the experience in those albergues?

many thanks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Albergue El Caminante, Rúa Benigno Quiroga, 5, Portomarin and Albergue Porta de Santiago Av. Lugo, 11 B, 15821 Pedrouzo Arca o Pino come easily to mind.

I can tell you of my experience in some large albergues. When I arrived in Portomarin in June 2015 all the albergues were full - except Albergue Ferramenteiro. This albergue has about 100 beds in one room, but there are curtains dividing the room into 3 sections. I was surprised at 2 am by the absolute silence when I woke up to use the washroom. Portomarin is the first day for people starting from Sarria and I guess the 100 people were exhausted. Lights had gone out at 10 and no one was up when I left around 6:30 am. I would have preferred a smaller albergue, but this albergue turned out to be fine - clean, well run, lots of room for laundry.

I also stayed in San Marcos, another huge albergue in Palas de Rei. It was right in town, and I got a bed in a separate little "house" with only 10 beds. It was beautiful - newly renovated, clean, good breakfast.

I stayed in Albergue Porta de Santiago in O Pedrouso. It is really pretty and right in town.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are many albergues to choose from in Portomarin, should you find yourself in a crowd of pilgrims all mushing on to Portomarin consider the La bodeguiña/Mercaddoiro just before Portomarin. The bar/restaurant is pleasant usually crowded lunch time or afternoon break time but so quiet and calm in the evening. 2k from Portomarin.

Portomarin Fontana de Luxo
Palas del Rei Albergue Castro
Ribadiso da Baixo Albergue Milpes
O Pedrouzo Albergue Trisquel
Santiago de Compostela The Last Stamp

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
My favorites:

Portomarin: Albergue Ultreia - you can book ahead and she has lovely private rooms
Palas: I usually rent a small apartment from Apartamentos Touristicos Guillermo. €100 will sleep several pilgrims. Make friends and share!
Pedrouzo: I usually stay at Pension Maribel. Book ahead.
Santiago: San Martin Pinario in their pilgrim rooms. You must email and book ahead.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you so much. It gives me a starting point to look at

Great albergue in Salceda...owner's name is Santiago. Maybe 800 feet off main trail. Good food, pool...wonderful. We fell into it and loved it! Not an albergue, but cheap

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Good places to stay after Sarria, some private room, some open berthing.

Monasterio de la Magdalena, Sarria (open berthing)
Albergue Mercadoiro, in Mercadoiro (private room)
Casa Molar, in Ventas de Naron (private room)
Casa de Somoza, in O'Coto (private room)
Albergue O' Santos, in Arzua (open berthing)
Albergue Edreira, in Pedrouzo (open berthing)
Hostal Giadas, in Santiago de Compostela (private room)

Ultreya, la luz de Dios alumbra su camino!

Casa Albergue Molino de Marzán ( about 9 km past Sarria and near Peruscallo.)

Leda runs one of the best albergues we stayed at, very peaceful setting with a pond. The albergue is an old mill. It is right on the camino where it turns to the right but a ways away from bars, shops, etc. She had a decent shop though where you could buy drinks, snacks and dinner items.

http://www.molinomarzan.com/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ferramenteiro in Potomarin big but well organised albergue. Albergue Lactea in Arzua. Santa Irena (after Salceda and Cruce) small very pleasant private albergue with garden, dinner and breakfast provided and they will also do your washing for you. We were in the 4 bed room upstairs. Seminario Menor has some single rooms as well as dormitories in Santiago.

Buen Camino

Palas De Rei - Albergue Outeiro - Can't recommend this hostel enough. Manuel the owner chased down the bus company that my husband had left his passport on one of their buses. He flew in and met us at Sarria and left his passport on the bus! The bus company were proving so challenging to get his passport back. We knew they had it because they'd described the folder it was in but then threw their hands up in the air and said nope they didn't. Manuel hounded them all afternoon until they finally agreed to send it to the station in Santiago for us. He was a GEM and the hostel is clean, has good facilities and is centrally located.

Rem Hostel in O'Pedrouzo was great. Very new and nice and dark and quiet, however just as a side note the showers are a bit more communal than you might be used to. They are separate showers however the screen between them is clear shower curtain so completely transparent. Might have changed by now. I wasn't at all bothered by it by I can image some people might be.

We splurged in Santiago and if you can afford it I would really recommend it! We stayed at Casas Reais Boutique hotel and it was amazing! I think it was about $160 AUD per night but we were so glad we did it. Its a short walk to the cathedral, its not far (like 60m) from a road with transport options and is right on the edge of the main city central area so everything is super close.

Hope that helps,

Jenny

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Brilliant, I now seem to be spoiled for choice in a good way.

This may not line up with your itinerary, but Alb. Paloma y Lena in Mamel del Camino was fantastic -- tasty communal meal, very clean, modern, great showers, hammocks for relaxing ...

Portomarin -- Alb O Cruceiro was clean, comfortable and near lots of great restaurants plus had kitchen.

Palas de Rei Alb A Casina di Marcello had a really delicious communal meal, nice small, comfortable albergue
at the end of town,

Ribadiso I second the recommendation for Alb Ultreia. Very comfortable, modern alb. No communal meal but their restaurant had *really* delicious food and desserts.

Santiago we splurged with Hostel Libredon -- right in the middle of all the plazas, truly kind and helpful hosteleras, clean, modern, comfortable private rooms. And what I really loved most of all -- a bathtub.

Buen Camino!

My wife and I will be finally completing our Camino this year, walking Leon to SdC, starting 31st May.
There seems to be so many albergue options for the last stages, it is difficult to know what distinguishes one from another.

Calvor, Lugo
Portomarin
Palas del Rei
Ribadiso da Baixo
O Pedrouzo
Santiago de Compostela

Does anyone have any recommendations for albergues in these towns (apart from Calvor, which I think only has one albergue)?
I know there are some albergues that have a lot of beds on these stages. How is the experience in those albergues?

many thanks.
Santiago-The Last Stamp or San Martin Pinario, which is wonderful, but you need to book it ahead

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Calvor, Lugo
Portomarin
Palas del Rei
Ribadiso da Baixo
O Pedrouzo
Santiago de Compostela

many thanks.
One of my favorites of my Camino is Albergue O Abrigadoiro in San Xulian. You don’t mention that as a stop, but I thought I’d mention it anyway.

Calvor, Lugo
Portomarin
Palas del Rei
Ribadiso da Baixo
O Pedrouzo
Santiago de Compostela

many thanks.
Another great one, Albergue A Reboleira in Fonfria.

Santiago we splurged with Hostel Libredon -- right in the middle of all the plazas, truly kind and helpful hosteleras, clean, modern, comfortable private rooms. And what I really loved most of all -- a bathtub.
Buen Camino!

A kindred spirit. We are booked for the Hotel Rua Villar in Santiago. One of our main criteria was a bath.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Palas De Rei - Albergue Outeiro - Can't recommend this hostel enough. Manuel the owner chased down the bus company that my husband had left his passport on one of their buses. He flew in and met us at Sarria and left his passport on the bus! The bus company were proving so challenging to get his passport back. We knew they had it because they'd described the folder it was in but then threw their hands up in the air and said nope they didn't. Manuel hounded them all afternoon until they finally agreed to send it to the station in Santiago for us. He was a GEM and the hostel is clean, has good facilities and is centrally located.

Rem Hostel in O'Pedrouzo was great. Very new and nice and dark and quiet, however just as a side note the showers are a bit more communal than you might be used to. They are separate showers however the screen between them is clear shower curtain so completely transparent. Might have changed by now. I wasn't at all bothered by it by I can image some people might be.

We splurged in Santiago and if you can afford it I would really recommend it! We stayed at Casas Reais Boutique hotel and it was amazing! I think it was about $160 AUD per night but we were so glad we did it. Its a short walk to the cathedral, its not far (like 60m) from a road with transport options and is right on the edge of the main city central area so everything is super close.

Hope that helps,

Jenny

Buen Camino.
It’s great to get a good recommendation in O’Pedrouzo. I wasn’t crazy about where I stayed in 2015 (Albergue O Burgo).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back