• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Albergue recommendations...

Kelly Scherer

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino in early/mid May(2014) beginning in Leon, as I only have a bit longer than 2 weeks time for my Journey.
Hi everybody! Only 5 weeks until I begin from Pamplona to Burgos ( I will return for more)!!! I have written out my itinerary (God willing)... These are the towns I plan to stay in and the Albergues I have thought to go to...any advice/recommendations?....
Day 1) Puente la Reina...alb Santiago Apostol
Day 2) Estella...ANFAS
Day 3) Los Arcos...Casa de Abuela
Day 4) Viana...Alb Andres Munoz
Day 5) Navarette...Alb El Cantaro
Day 6) Azofra...Alb Municipal
Day 7) Granon...Alb Parochial
Day 8) Belorado...Alb Cuatro Cantones
Day 9) San Juan Ortega... Alb Monasterio
Day 10) Burgos... Alb Municipal
On Day 11 I will bus back to Madrid for a day of rest before returning to the US.
Thank you to all who post here! I couldn't have made this dream come true without your help! Buen Camino! Kelly

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Kelly, I don't know how young you are or how fit you are, but I will say that your daily itineraries - i.e. walking distances, to me seem rather ambitious (mind you, it is not always a walk in the park). Or maybe no problem if you are very fit ...?

It is - as I understand it - becoming common lore around here that it is the younger persons who will get problems (feet) while we elderly will more tend to take our time.

annelise

- and by the way, I have read rather many negative reports in the forum about the albergue in San Juan de Ortega

Thank you Annelise:) I'm 36.. Semi fit and a mother of a very actively rambunctious 5 year old :) I don't have any expectations on my abilities, if I don't make it as far as I hope, then I'm ok with that. Holy cow I am so excited!!! Thanks for the heads up on the Albergues:)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Is the five year old walking with you? Those seem rather ambitious distances for a little one.

Is the five year old walking with you? Those seem rather ambitious distances for a little one.
Kanga, no I am blessed that my Little Bug is going to stay at her grandparents house while I am gone:)

There is more than enough choice if you want to stop somewhere else...Still early enough in the year.
The Anfas in Estella is a cause close to my heart, didn't stay here but heard some great things...
The albergue in San Juan de Ortega really is horrendous...mouldy and an overall feeling of bad attendance. Try to walk on a bit further..
In Belorado I can recommend you also a nice familypension Casa Waslala, owner is a nice chap and knows alot about the Camino....
In los Arcos : the muni is attented by our local volunteers of the flemish confraternity.
Don't forget to try out the lovely donativo albergue la Casa de Sonrisas in Grañon!
Above all : enjoy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thank you SabineP:) I will surely try my best to make it to your recommendations!

The albergue in San Juan de Ortega really is horrendous...mouldy and an overall feeling of bad attendance.
And yet it is one of the more authentic experiences on the Camino! It is a spectacular church. It was the site of the famous garlic soup, but the tradition is not being maintained after the death of the priest.

And yet it is one of the more authentic experiences on the Camino! It is a spectacular church. It was the site of the famous garlic soup, but the tradition is not being maintained after the death of the priest.

True, the church is beautiful and I can imagine that during the days when the priest was still there the albergue had a certain kind of magic.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
True, the church is beautiful and I can imagine that during the days when the priest was still there the albergue had a certain kind of magic.

Indeed, it did have the special atmosphere of sincere caritas. In 2004 I first walked to the monastery of San Juan de Ortega or St John of the nettles. This St John was a helper of St Dominic and like him built hospices and roads for pilgrims. Within the handsome Romanesque church is his sumptuous freestanding Gothic mausoleum. He is depicted recumbent beneath an ornate baldachino or canopy. Evening mass was beautiful; large bunches of fresh greens and shells decorated the main altar and side aisles.

At the close of service the elderly priest, Don Jose Maria, graciously invited all into the adjacent refectory where cups of his tasty garlic soup were served. The hot soup was SO very welcome that cold October night. Our austere pilgrim lodgings were in the old monastery. Skipping a shower I snuggled deep into my sleeping bag and recalled the day’s kindness..... Don Jose Maria who had been so active in helping to revitalize the camino died in 2008. Since then I have often revisited that beautiful monastery church but with the sadness of memory. How lucky I had been to meet him and sample his famous hospitality. ...May he be in peace.

Margaret Meredith

IMG_5776.JPG

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Meeting this remarkable gentleman is still one of the most memorable experiences of my caminos. A lovely man. Delicious soup!

Looks like a good, planned itinerary and should not be too challenging for a 36 year old. You should be able to complete those distances no problem. Travel light, good pack, good shoes.

Buen Camino.

Hi Kelly,
I have not stayed in the ANFAS albergue in Estella, because I walk in the spring--and I think they are open only from June to mid-September. Maybe that has changed--I hope so. Like you, I am very interested in their project. (The UK CSJ has this telephone for them: 948 550 200, and their website is www.anfasnavarra.org).If ANFAS is not available, you might try the albergue San Miguel (Calle Mercado Viejo). I haven't stayed there either, but I've heard good reports of it--and it may not be as crowded as the municipal albergue in Estella.
Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Kelly,
You've picked some really good albergues! My only thought is to be flexible on exactly which albergue you stay in, as you will likely make friends and want to stay where they are staying. There are multiple albergues in the towns you plan to stop in, so you may find some other great choices.

One other thought - in Burgos, there is a small albergue out of the center called 'Emaus' that offers a fantastic spirit-of-the-Camino experience. If you're ready for something small and intimate by the time you get to Burgos, Emaus is a great choice.

Wishing you a fantastic journey!

Hi everybody! Only 5 weeks until I begin from Pamplona to Burgos ( I will return for more)!!! I have written out my itinerary (God willing)... These are the towns I plan to stay in and the Albergues I have thought to go to...any advice/recommendations?....
Day 2) Estella...ANFAS
On Day 11 I will bus back to Madrid for a day of rest before returning to the US.
Thank you to all who post here! I couldn't have made this dream come true without your help! Buen Camino! Kelly

Looked at your list of planned albergues to stay in, and I compared them to the ones I stayed in last summer on the Camino. Only a couple of them matched mine.
Santiago Apostol in Puente la Reina is a very good choice. A bit of an uphill walk to get to it, but worth it. Has a nice swimming pool and a nice restaurant and bar inside.
Cuatro Cantones in Belorado was nice too, but I don't remember too much about it. I had no bad experiences with any of the albergues, so it must have been ok, ha ha.

Anyway, Buen Camino!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
La Casa de los Abuelos is one of my all time favourites. The young couple that own it are soooo welcoming. The house belonged to her grandmother, hence the name.
Also the albergue Parroquial in the tower of the church in Grañon is an experience not to be missed ( in my opinion). the Albergue Parroquial in Viana is another if these authentic Pilgrim Experiences (again a 'sleep on a mat on the floor' type. somehow they seem to turn out the best, notwithstanding a certain discomfort sleeping on a mat! And yet another is Tosantos, which is a day's walk after Grañon. Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wow, many thank you's! By reading of all your personal experiences, I can almost see it myself:) I will keep these all written down for reference on my journey:) buenos Noches mi Amigos!

Last edited:
I stayed at San Juan de Ortega on September 23, 2013, and was quite comfortable. Loved the "light show" and the pilgrim's blessing following the mass. Might want an extra munchie in the pack tho as there is only one place to eat, few seats and some of the dining shifts are pretty late. I loved the antiquity of the place too.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Day 2) Estella...ANFAS

Hi Kelly~
I returned from my first camino a year ago and am missing it every day!
This is the EXACT itinerary we followed. You should have no problems walking those distances (but, of course, remain flexible!). I am 46, in decent shape and held up just fine. As it is still fairly early in the season, you may find a few of these hostels closed. I can highly recommend the following as alternatives: Puenta la Reina~Alb Padres Repardores, Estella~Alb Hospital de Peregrinos, Navarette~Alb Muni. I stayed in all the others you have on your list and can honestly say that you will not be disappointed. As Anne mentioned, Casa Abuela in Los Arcos was incredibly lovely...Iosu and his wife are second to none. Ask for a tour and he will proudly show you how lovingly they have restored this family home. And do try to stay in Granon...it is unforgettable! Just writing this makes my heart flutter...

Buen Camino, friend!
Brigitte

Oh Brigitte thank you! Any worry I had just vanished! Would love to share experiences when I return!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
La Casa Sonrisas in Granon was filthy. I was given a bed with stains all over the pillowcase and mattress. The owner never bothered introducing himself and the place was freezing. One bathroom for 12 pilgrims. I realise its a donativo place but come on....

Can anybody recommend a few alberques on the road to Finnistaire please ??

Bernard,

On the Camino to Finisterre in Negreira I stop at the Xunta albergue; in Vilaserio at the private Albergue O Rueiro; in Olveiroa at the Xunta Albergue; in Corcubian at the San Roque albergue; and in Finisterre at the Xunta Albergue.

Please note that the above albergue names are in hot links and will lead you to further info re each albergue on the Gronze web site.

To read my blog comments regarding these click these following links
Happy planning and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Bernard,

On the Camino to Finisterre in Negreira I stop at the Xunta albergue ; in Vilaserio at the private Albergue O Rueiro; in Olveiroa at the Xunta Albergue; in Corcubian at the San Roque albergue; and in Finisterre at the Xunta Albergue.

Please note that the above albergue names are in hot links and will lead you to further info re each albergue on the Gronze web site.

To read my blog comments regarding these click these following links
Happy planning and Buen camino!

Margaret Meredith

Ah Margaret my Camino guardian angel,i just knew you would come along,you always have,i thank you so much,again,Bernie.

I can recommend Albergue Casa Pepa in Santa Marina. Lovely couple who run it. Jill

Hi, if you are walking from Finisterre to Muxia I can recommend As Eiras at Lires. It’s a pension, but they have a dorm room for pilgrims. I had the dorm all to myself, and also a great supper there too. It was November, no other pilgrims, but lots of local families in the bar. Really enjoyed it. Jill

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.