• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

albergue recommendations?

Eve Alexandra

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2017 Astorga-SDC, April 2022 SJPP-Muxia
I've got some tentative stages, and for a few of them, nothing much is coming up either in the directories here, or the wise pilgrim app, that is open in March. I'm trying to avoid municipal albergues unless assured otherwise that a specific one is worth the stop. I just don't want to be the only female in a giant room with 4 other men, total (less crowded in March). Plus I fear they will be the coldest options for sleep as well. I've been looking at mostly private albergues around the 8-12 Euro mark.

Can anyone recommend in

Molinaseca
O Cebriero
St Irene

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've stayed at Albergue de Santa Marina in Molinaseca. It was on the right as you are leaving town (West side of town.) Nice, clean, quiet and it's in Molinaseca. What a beautiful town. I definitely recommend staying somewhere in Molinaseca and Albergue de Santa Marina would be a good choice but there may be others a little closer to town. My favorite part of town is the East end by the bridge as it is very picturesque.

I've stayed at Albergue de Santa Marina in Molinaseca. It was on the right as you are leaving town (West side of town.) Nice, clean, quiet and it's in Molinaseca. What a beautiful town. I definitely recommend staying somewhere in Molinaseca and Albergue de Santa Marina would be a good choice but there may be others a little closer to town. My favorite part of town is the East end by the bridge as it is very picturesque.

Thanks! I contacted them to see if they are open in March.

I can't find anything in O Cebriero!! The Xunta is not well rated at all. And I don't even see any casa rurales on booking dot com. :/

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Yeah, I've been on Gronze as well. Lol about "any bed." ;)

I sort of agree. But this is likely to be one of the coldest nights for me, and being in some drafty freezing Xunta is really unappealing. The reviews are horrible.

The town of Piedrafita has places that seem clean, but it appears to be a little off the Way...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I liked the Xunta in O Cebreiro. I was there once when it was closed for renovations. They had temporary modules set up with modular shower and toilet facilities that were used by all the pilgrims walking by, who left them filthy. It tested my theory that any bed is a good bed.

Piedrafita do Cebreiro is pretty far off the Camino. There are pensiones in the village.

That's what I'm doing now, trying to find something in the village. I was hoping to go to Mass this night and given it may be cold, walking a long way to mass is not all that appealing to me after a long cold day. I emailed one hotel...fingers crossed!

I paid 35€ for a double room (bath down the hall) at Casa Carolo last May. Bar/restaurant attached, small shop, laundry. Well located, just down the street from the main hotel, church and souvenir store. Radiators worked enough to keep my room reasonably warm, though I slept in my sleeping bag just cause It was so comfy. Not fancy but I was happy to be there. If you can share a room you can bring the price down.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
O Cebreiro is a little tourist stop at the top of the mountain, with an albergue and perhaps 2 other non-albergue places to stay. The Xunta albergue is clean and modern, and you won't be the only female there. It is impersonal enough that you don't feel you are having to be intimate with others. You will not be the only female there. Just don't take a bed by the industrial heaters on the wall - when the heat came on during the night in late November, it was awful (way too hot!)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've stayed at Albergue de Santa Marina in Molinaseca.

Only open between Easter and October. The only other albergue in Molinaseca is the municipal, open all year. The Hotel de Floriana, on the left on the way to the municipal, often advertises special rates for pilgrims in the low season.
Jill

Nothing wrong with the Xunta albergue in O’Cebreiro. The heating should still be on in March, and plenty other females staying. I don’t like their school-style showers, but that’s a minor moan.
Jill

Can anyone recommend in

Molinaseca
O Cebriero
St Irene

Santa Irene is tiny, nothing there (just the traffic on the main road hurtling by), and no food options in winter. Better to walk on to O Pedrouzo.
Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first time I walked the CF, I stayed in La Faba, and then walked to Triacastela the next day. Gronze claims the Albergue de la Faba is open in March. Last year my wife and I stayed in Hotel O Cebriero. Clearly much more expensive than an albergue, but if you are going to give yourself a treat, this would be one place to do that.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
If on the way towards O Cebreiro
in Villafranca del Bierzo you wish a bit of private comfort and/or a very good reasonably priced meal with delicious local wine do stop at the Hostal de la Puerta del Perdon. Located on the CF opposite the castle it is a VERY comfortable stop especially on a cold early winter night.

This is so helpful. Thank you!

I'll post more later after following up on all these links and names, in case anyone else is looking too. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Yeah, I've been on Gronze as well. Lol about "any bed." ;)

I sort of agree. But this is likely to be one of the coldest nights for me, and being in some drafty freezing Xunta is really unappealing. The reviews are horrible.

The town of Piedrafita has places that seem clean, but it appears to be a little off the Way...
Maybe I have low standards but once over the surprise of no shower doors, I found the Xunta albergues to be perfectly comfortable. In mid to late October there was plenty of heating in every Xunta albergue we stayed in, including O Cebreiro.
Actually my favourite albergues were the donativo ones, often parochial, with shared meals usually delicious peasant food like garlic soup, lentil stew, salads, etc prepared, served and cleared with help from all of us staying there. For me that was where the spirit of the camino shone brightest.

Last edited:
Maybe I have low standards but once over the surprise of no shower doors, I found the Xunta albergues to be perfectly comfortable. In mid to late October there was plenty of heating in every Xunta albergue we stayed in, including O Cebreiro.
Actually my favourite albergues were the donativo ones, often parochial, with shared meals usually peasant food like garlic soup, lentil stew, salads, etc prepared, served and cleared with help from all of us staying there. For me that was when the spirit of the camino shone brightest.

Indeed!

When weary after walking for 6 hours while carrying a pack all that is needed is a simple shelter with preferably a lower bunk for resting, working toilet, hot shower, and when possible pleasant companions and something to eat. Nothing else is really necessary; luxury is heat in winter as well as an electric socket to charge a phone.

Always it was a great pleasure to arrive at a welcoming albergue, sit and remove my pack, take a HOT shower, chat with other pilgrims and collapse in clean comfort on a bottom bunk ever thankful for the
continued strength to experience the extraordinary joy of another camino day. ...Bliss!

Last edited:
I stayed in the O'Cebreiro xunta albergue a few years back in December with more than 2 ft of snow outside. The heating system in the albergue was pretty fierce - no-one complained of cold that night!
Generally xunta albergues get criticised for being a bit soulless but they nearly always provide all the basics to meet a pilgrims' needs - and sometimes they are very good.
Eve, I hope you manage to stay in a few municipals early on, as that will allow you to test your misgivings before you've gone much distance along the Way. You might find the situation is not quite as you envisaged and it's a more appealing experience than the one you describe!
Cheers, tom

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
This is so good to know! When all you have is reviews to read, it can be hard to discern. I'm not picky, just want to feel safe and not too cold. I think after reading this, I'll not worry about it. Someone else told me that the Xunta in O Cebriero was renovated so it may be that what I read was very old reviews, too (that it was dirty/gross).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This is so good to know! When all you have is reviews to read, it can be hard to discern. I'm not picky, just want to feel safe and not too cold. I think after reading this, I'll not worry about it. Someone else told me that the Xunta in O Cebriero was renovated so it may be that what I read was very old reviews, too (that it was dirty/gross).

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold. Over the past years the coldest I have ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

In cold weather never choose a bunk placed against an exterior wall since old walls are often uninsulated and thus frigid. All night heating is not the norm hence make a cozy 'sandwich' for sleeping by folding a blanket in half the long way, place your sleeping bag on top of the bottom half and pull the top half over all. If there are no blankets put your poncho beneath the bag to block the cold air from rising.

Runner's winter tights, a long sleeve runner's shirt and loose socks as well as a warm hat are great to wear to bunk/bed wben it is really cold. Over the past years the coldest I have ever slept on the camino was late February 2006 in the then unheated Hornillos del Camino municipal albergue. Breath hung white in the frigid interior air and ice formed in the toilet bowl. Nevertheless dressed as above I was snug in my sleeping bag and liner.

I woke up this morning with a distinct excitement about adventure. I'm gonna let it all go and just wing it. I'm sure it'll be fine. Thanks!

Molinaseca
There are two albergues on the way out of town, pretty much across from each other. The older one is a converted chapel with a central fire pit on the first level, bunks upstairs, and bunks under cover outside. There is a bar behind. The newer one is purpose-built, clean and well-designed, and serves meals on the first level. The chapel has a more "authentic Camino" feel to it, but a bit more rundown. Both are fine. There are several hostales in the town. They are closer to food and stores, but cost more. Check booking.com.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
This place in Molinaseca is very nice, and was upgraded in 2016, so the price has increased. I don't know if the previous owner sold, but it now has a market and a restaurant. He named it after his wife! On one walk, all the computers in town were out of service (not unusual in the pre-cellphone era). The owner let me use his office computer, and we had a long conversation in English. He was the epitome of hospitality even though he knew I had already checked into the albergue down the road. The current single rate is 44 Euro, though it probably goes up during the high season.

http://hotelmolinareal.com/en/

I have stayed here as well, current rate 42 Euro for a single, and it was quite nice, located at the entry to the town. There are many nearby bars and restaurants.

http://hostalelhorno.com/servicios

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Soooo many wonderful albergues along the way, but some definitely stand out, like the albergue about 5kms short of Puenta la Reina in Muruzabal called el Jardin de Muruzabal, run by Carlos and Alethia and their children. Such wonderful hosts and a swimming pool! We had sent our packs ahead to Puenta la Reina, as I had a swollen leg and needed to stop for the day so Carlos drove us to the albergue we had my pack sent to and we stayed with them instead and he even gave us a tour of a 1,000 year old church on the way back! Also, the 'hippie' albergue, la Casa Magica in Villatuerta which is where we stayed the next night. Two other favourites were the Albergue de Santa Marina in Molinaseca and the albergue Paloma y Lena in San Mamede. The last one we stayed at was the albergue Via Lactea in Arzua which was huge! Another fave was La Fabrica in Tardajos. Sooooo many!

Buen Camino!

I've got some tentative stages, and for a few of them, nothing much is coming up either in the directories here, or the wise pilgrim app, that is open in March. I'm trying to avoid municipal albergues unless assured otherwise that a specific one is worth the stop. I just don't want to be the only female in a giant room with 4 other men, total (less crowded in March). Plus I fear they will be the coldest options for sleep as well. I've been looking at mostly private albergues around the 8-12 Euro mark.

Can anyone recommend in

Molinaseca
O Cebriero
St Irene
I joined up with some young people and accompanied them to municipal albergues. One night stayed in an independent for 10euros and was awful, the worst place so far. Now on my own and will stay in municipal whoever possible, they are well geared up for pilgrims and are not so hit and miss as others. Also stayed in a religious one in puenta de la reina, 5euros and great. Hope that helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Can anyone recommend in

Molinaseca
O Cebriero
St Irene
St

Can anyone recommend in

Molinaseca
O Cebriero
St Irene
St Irene private albergue is just amazing we stayed in the little upstairs private room that slept 4. The do a great pilgrim meal. An easy walk to Santiago

Thanks everyone. This helps a lot. I'm not as worried about municipal albergues and safety as I was before.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back