• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

albergue/refugio on a bike

Gbadgley

Hi, I'm just wondering what has been your experience trying to get accommodation with the albergues being on a bike. I understand that you have to wait till 8 pm at a lot of these places?

If this is the general experience then I think I would try the hostel accomodation instead.

Thanks for the input

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Gbadgley,

You may wish to investigate the Bike-Line for cyclists on the Camino Frances which lists those albergues which ARE cyclist friendly. For example one such albergue where I stayed late October 2010 is at Viloria de Rioja just east of Belorado. Acacio and Orietta have created a wonderful refuge for BOTH walkers and cyclists; there are 10 bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove. Great showers water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho.

Happy pedaling and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Gbadgley,

You may wish to investigate the Bike-Line for cyclists on the Camino Frances which lists those albergues which ARE cyclist friendly. For example one such albergue where I stayed late October 2010 is at Viloria de Rioja just east of Belorado. Acacio and Orietta have created a wonderful refuge for BOTH walkers and cyclists; there are 10 bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove. Great showers water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho.

Happy pedaling and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith
Hi Margaret, looks like the list is unavailable. At least that is what appears to be the case with my shaky Spanish.

Thanks, Gary

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Margaret, looks like the list is unavailable. At least that is what appears to be the case with my shaky Spanish.

Thanks, Gary

Gary,

A new list for 2014 is currently being compiled. Here is a pdf file of the latest available list. For Camino Frances albergues which accept reservations by bicyclists see pages 3 to 20. Hope that you can use this.

MM

Last edited:
Gary, we, my family and I (5 of us) biked end of May early June. We started in Pamplona. We had no problem with having to wait. We would usually end our day around 5 in the evening. Most walkers had already ended their day and eaten dinner. Later on in the season may be a problem.

Don't know when you are planning on riding but I rode most of the CF in October and never had a problem. In fact when I inquired if I would have to wait for bed because I was on a bike most hospitaleros looked at me a little funny. I guess I keep hearing about the cyclist being treated a little second rate but I never experienced it. I wonder if it's just a rumor. Or perhaps it's up to the whim of the hospitaleros. Of course if you are on a bike, carry a tent. Then you won't ever have a problem.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
when I inquired if I would have to wait for bed because I was on a bike most hospitaleros looked at me a little funny.
There is not a national rule on when bicyclists are admitted. Private albergues set their own rules, and many admit cyclists at any time. However, I think you will find that the xunta albergues hold beds for walkers until about 6 p.m., then admit cyclists. I have seen it dozens of times.

Gary,

A new list for 2014 is currently being compiled. Here is a pdf file of the latest available list. For Camino Frances albergues which accept reservations by bicyclists see pages 3 to 20. Hope that you can use this.

MM

Hi M,
Do you have an english version of the file? I am new here and i am still trying to familiarize myself with how to post messages. I am not sure if this is the correct way...my apologies.

Regards,
G

Most read last week in this forum

Ivan. I believe I can rent two bikes through you between Burgos and Leon. Can you let me know if this is possible? I plan to arrive in Burgos on 11 May and start cycling the next day. Thanks
Plan to cycle between Burgos and Leon over three or four days. Are there any interesting detours between these two cities that would take up a 4th day?

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back